Review Season in review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilmot and Dev were already in the team to finish the season so I don’t need to take anyone out for those 2. I’d take Answerth out for Ashcroft who was playing on the wing in the prelim. I really like Ah Chee and would have him as the sub but would replace him with Dunkley and have Berry, Ashcroft, Bailey and Hugh spending time on the wing. Would love to get Lohmann in on a permanent basis but it’s pretty hard to do so with our current forward set up so would be bringing him in at every opportunity if someone like Zorko needs a break.
I would say Lohmann is up against McCarthy. McCarthy has been down on form and goes missing quite regularly but will then play out a great game. If Lohmann consistently gets 1-2 goals a game in the VFL and regularly applies that elite defensive pressure that he was providing up until his debut, then l think he will add quite a bit of value and keeping it in our f50,

This season was perfectly meh.

We never really seemed to get going in H&A, but the finals series made up for that feeling of not really getting anywhere near our best footy. The arse fell out of our defence and our midfield dropped off a bit as well. The forward line was potent as always but our lack of defensive run crippled us. Burnt on turnover far too often.

Few passengers got carried throughout the year which was frustrating. Hopefully, the change in mindset that we saw in the finals is a sign that the coaching staff and match committee are willing to be more daring with their choice of selections. I understand backing players in to fight through injury, but when the opposition starts to play through them, it might be time to reconsider their position in the 22.

Not a bad year per se, but a re-tooling of the midfield and backline will be in order if we're going to take the next step in 2023.

I'd agree that a fit Joe is a different story. But I do agree that there is still merit in question our forward line mix. I think there is a fair argument that we have too many goal kicking forwards and not enough who do the defensive hard work. And McStay was the best tall at actually chasing and pressuring. If we replace McStay with Fort its not going to improve.

So do we need to tinker with the forward setup (at potentially the cost of some goal scoring ability)?

Charlie, Joe and Hippy are auto inclusions but only Charlie really defends well. Rayner depends on his mid time but again doesnt really run defensively. Zorko and Bailey can do it but probably could do a little more. As much as I hate to say it but Linc is probably one in danger. He has a great ability to pop up in key moments and take great marks. But do we need that from a small? Would we be better served by someone who can run up and down the ground more?

Marcus Adams worries me. His head injury that surfaced long after the game (IIRC) seemed to suggest to me a bleed i.e. a stroke rather than concussion.

I hope he is OK and we haven't heard anything about his injury, so I hope he is making a full recovery.

Anyone know what is going on?

Marcus Adams worries me. His head injury that surfaced long after the game (IIRC) seemed to suggest to me a bleed i.e. a stroke rather than concussion.

I hope he is OK and we haven't heard anything about his injury, so I hope he is making a full recovery.

Anyone know what is going on?
Heard that his injury has him thinking of retirement/may force him to retire.
Puts extra need on keeping Gardiner.

Heard that his injury has him thinking of retirement/may force him to retire.
Puts extra need on keeping Gardiner.
Marcus has also seen the full effect of head injuries to.

If I am not mistaken, his brother, a WAFL player was viciously assaulted at a nightclub or perhaps it was a one punch scenario, albeit instead of it being fatal, ended his footy and now has permanent injuries that mean he can never work.

Marcus would no doubt be very aware the impact of head injuries and what they can do to ones life.

I could have Marcus mixed up with someone else, but I am 98% sure about his brother.

Joe wasn't the problem in the prelim, there were at least 19 other players that didn't turn up to play that night. His inclusion wasn't the 12 goal difference between us and the cats.
Maybe a little more respectful way to put it would be the Cats were too good all over the park ....just like they were on Saturday.

At Round 6 people were looking back on Joe's 30ish games for Brisbane and suggesting he was in the top few forwards in the game. He is an attacking gun to the extent you can look past his other flaws to a certain extent (see below) within the team. The Elimination Final is a good example.

But he does need to work harder when there isn't something in it for him personally. He had 12 tackles this SEASON. 11 of 19 games he didn't have a tackle. only 12 1%'s all season as well. McStay 40 tackles and 40 1%'s. (I think 1%'s are knock on, shepards, smothers, spoils). Perhaps these stats relate to his shoulders? but at least once a game you should be in a position to tackle a player and to knock the ball on (maybe instead of trying for an impossible mark?).

Interesting point above re: McCarthy v Lohmann. In my family we talk a lot about how the club has too many similar flankers in the team... lots of 10-14 posession, 2-3 tackle, 1-2 goal forwards... McCarthy is too good to not be 'first 22' in AFL but he is probably behind Cameron, Raynor, Bailey, in our forward line and throw in Zorko too. Raynor/Bailey/McCarthy all can be similar 35-40 goal forwards with up and down defensive pressure. Would we be better having 1 less of those in the team and 1 more high pressure 'defensive forward' or an extra midfielder all season to rotate through their. We have been the highest scoring team the last few years and it hasn't got us to a grand final.

Separately we also talk about too many defensive flankers... Rich, Coleman, Starcevich, Answerth, Ah Chee (and Wilmot in the finals who at least is quick). Not much pace in that group, and not many possessions. What other team is playing that many of that type of player?

So you are something more than a "supporter" which we mere numpty's on bigfooty arent? - that's how your post reads.

Nonetheless, alot of what was shown in the post game contradicts a bit of what you said but I take on board they were all hurting, although given the lack of effort, I doubt they'd of been hurting like Pies players who literally gave it everything they had and never once gave up -not sure you can honestly say that about us and if you do, then we were watching a different game given the insipid effort last friday.

For what it's worth, and it looks like this flies in the face of general perception, but I thought our performance against Geelong in the Prelim was pretty wholehearted. I thought we kept on putting in from the first siren to the last, we were simply beaten by a much better organised team. In the end the margin simply portrayed the fact that Geelong's system was superior to ours, and they kept exposing that over and over again. Perhaps that one extra tall made 12 goals of difference, like it may have in that game against Richmond in July.

I think the Grand Final result also speaks to this. I wasn't at the Grand Final so it's harder to comment on the effort of Swans players throughout the day, but all the stats from the Prelim look far more equitable than those of the Grand Final.

I'd add that this is not rose coloured glasses - I call it as I see it, and as an example, I thought our Round 23 effort against Melbourne was disgraceful. Blokes hearing footsteps and being unprepared to put their head over the ball. It was as bad as I had seen from our group for at least 4 years, probably longer. The Prelim Final, I didn't see any of that. Just completely outcoached (both at selection and in game) and outclassed.

Interesting point above re: McCarthy v Lohmann. In my family we talk a lot about how the club has too many similar flankers in the team... lots of 10-14 posession, 2-3 tackle, 1-2 goal forwards... McCarthy is too good to not be 'first 22' in AFL but he is probably behind Cameron, Raynor, Bailey, in our forward line and throw in Zorko too. Raynor/Bailey/McCarthy all can be similar 35-40 goal forwards with up and down defensive pressure. Would we be better having 1 less of those in the team and 1 more high pressure 'defensive forward' or an extra midfielder all season to rotate through their. We have been the highest scoring team the last few years and it hasn't got us to a grand final.

Separately we also talk about too many defensive flankers... Rich, Coleman, Starcevich, Answerth, Ah Chee (and Wilmot in the finals who at least is quick). Not much pace in that group, and not many possessions. What other team is playing that many of that type of player?

This is really interesting, and something Chris Scott touched on both after the Prelim and the Grand Final. As far as he's concerned, he never picks his best 22 players. That's why Parfitt was only the sub, even after Holmes withdrew. Ratugolea and Menegola couldn't get a game. It's because he thought they already had enough of that type of player.

We may have got carried away with picking our best 22 and compromising the balance of our team in the ways you mentioned. And possibly also playing all our tall forwards in the one lineup.

Last edited:
We may have got carried away with picking our best 22 and compromising the balance of our team in the ways you mentioned. And possibly also playing all our tall forwards in the one lineup.
I'd disagree with that line of thinking. If anything I think our coaching staff along the same lines. Hence trying to play Harry Sharp when he wasn't ready (and to a lesser extent Tunstill) because they wanted an Ed Langdon type on the wing. I think they had a pre-conceived notion about what our best structure looked like but we don't have the depth that Geelong do. And let's be honest, I can barely think of a team that does.

But I also feel we're a little too stacked with attacking players forward of the ball. For balance sake I'd prefer one of our smaller forwards to be a more defensively-minded player. I'd also think we look better with just the two talls, but until Hipwood or Daniher look like they can pinch-hit in the ruck in any meaningful way, that's unlikely to change.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd disagree with that line of thinking. If anything I think our coaching staff along the same lines. Hence trying to play Harry Sharp when he wasn't ready (and to a lesser extent Tunstill) because they wanted an Ed Langdon type on the wing. I think they had a pre-conceived notion about what our best structure looked like but we don't have the depth that Geelong do. And let's be honest, I can barely think of a team that do.

But I also feel we're a little too stacked with attacking players forward of the ball. For balance sake I'd prefer one of our smaller forwards to be a more defensively-minded player. I'd also think we look better with just the two talls, but until Hipwood or Daniher look like they can pinch-hit in the ruck in any meaningful way, that's unlikely to change.
McStay has been a good help in the ruck when Big O needed a rest and for me he leaves us with a hole that needs to be filled. There are teams that dont call on a Key Forward to do this but there are more teams that do. Not sure what the coach's thoughts are moving into 2023 but will be interesting how they plan to manage it.

I'd be keen to understand why we looked better with 3 key forwards in the middle of last season, but looked better with only 2 this year.

I'd be keen to understand why we looked better with 3 key forwards in the middle of last season, but looked better with only 2 this year.
I would say the secret lies in having a much more competitive midfield in that period last year, so we were able to capitalize with faster ball movement into our talls.

We mostly broke even in the midfield battle this year, meaning out tall forwards were required to contest up on the wings more, which also meant other teams had better field position to switch against us and our lack of speed in the front half (from 3 talls) meant we got opened up more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back