Review Season in review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of who i am or who posters think I am, i feel priviliged to have The Lions as my AFL team. I appreciate them in the fact they bring me & my family plenty of joy and am grateful for that regardless of whether they win/lose or draw..... through the good & bad times.
100%, have been following the Lions since the late 90s, been a member for 20 years and regularly fly to Melbourne for away games, I try to not get too caught up and emotional about the ultimate destination(Flags), just revel in and enjoy the journey... that is footy and life.

As long as I have my family, health, the Lions, Yoga, and trekking my life is sweet.... oh and a reasonable amount of sanity.

Fages has done a great job to get us where we are and obviously he is a good coach. Whatever his failings might be , and one of them seems to be he's a bit stubborn, I'm not in a position to say whether he needs to change , get better help or can't take us any further etc because like most others I'm unaware of what really happens at the coalface within this club.

But what I will say is that his pressers after we get belted are in La La Land and are starting to grate on supporters I know. Most with a strong footy background and not given to going off at all.

Just say it was an insipid performance , not acceptable and we need to be better. We had a chance to showcase ourselves in our biggest game of the year and didn't play anywhere near enough to the standard we can . All of which is true. OK trot out a few excuses and talk about how good the opposition were but the centrepiece of why we lost was that we put in a very poor performance.

Just be honest. It'll make his life a lot easier in the future.
I don’t get this.

I heard him say that we were outplayed in all aspects of the game by an excellent side. That’s pretty much a straightforward, factual description of what happened.

Performative ranting usually just reads to me like the coach is trying to get themselves off the hook and put it all on the players.

I don’t get this.

I heard him say that we were outplayed in all aspects of the game by an excellent side. That’s pretty much a straightforward, factual description of what happened.

Performative ranting usually just reads to me like the coach is trying to get themselves off the hook and put it all on the players.
I never suggested ranting, lashing ,naming names , put it all on the players or any of the other extrapolations that have been applied to my post.

People who support the club , some close to the club have suggested to me that the tone of Fages' post matches after a belting have sounded delusional ever since the mulligan.

I agree .Some supporters like to hear the club is expecting certain standards. We looked like we gave up. People on this thread actually suggested the same on the game day thread and now seem to have changed their tune.

It's no big deal.

I don’t get this.

Agree 100%. Not sure how f**'s saying: "We were beaten by a better side all over the park" hints that he is in La La Land. To request f**'s "to be honest" insinuates he isn't being honest in my translation of the English language. Bewildered as to what he said sounded dis-honest but OK.

I never suggested ranting, lashing ,naming names , put it all on the players or any of the other extrapolations that have been applied to my post.

People who support the club , some close to the club have suggested to me that the tone of Fages' post matches after a belting have sounded delusional ever since the mulligan.

I agree .Some supporters like to hear the club is expecting certain standards. We looked like we gave up. People on this thread actually suggested the same on the game day thread and now seem to have changed their tune.

It's no big deal.
Fair enough—I read your post as saying you wanted him to call the performance insipid, which read to me as pretty leaden language.

I don’t have the benefit of knowing these people close to the club, but as a fan I’m happy with a coach that has a hold on his horses. I’ve seen lots of other coaches—Hinkley and Beveridge come to mind—talk in firm terms about standards in pressers and never seen so much good come of it.

I think it’s an amazing reading to come out of it thinking the club is happy or satisfied but I guess that reflects different preferences.

Take it the way you want mate. I didn't name call you or anyone names, but if that's the way you see it so be it. For the record, I dont think many on BF are numpty's.
Your assessment of the game is yours. To say their effort was insipid is pretty dis-respectful in my opinion but again thats your opinion and good for you or anyone else who thinks the same....Its a prelim final....they all gave their best effort but was soundly beaten by a better side on the day. If any of them went out and gave anything less than their best effort(none of them did), they should be delisted immediately.
Honestly, it did look like a lot of our players stopped trying, because they realised the game was lost, and then Geelong went in to cruise control.

This has been mentioned by so many fans, opposition supporters and media alike.

Fair enough—I read your post as saying you wanted him to call the performance insipid, which read to me as pretty leaden language.

I don’t have the benefit of knowing these people close to the club, but as a fan I’m happy with a coach that has a hold on his horses. I’ve seen lots of other coaches—Hinkley and Beveridge come to mind—talk in firm terms about standards in pressers and never seen so much good come of it.

I think it’s an amazing reading to come out of it thinking the club is happy or satisfied but I guess that reflects different preferences.
It's a small issue in the scheme of things. Giving players a bake back in the day used to be a tactic that worked to some degree but no longer applies since professionalism arrived at most clubs.

But messaging to supporters is important. It is a fact that many people were very disappointed in our effort and it was insipid was it not . Not all of them are aware of how footy clubs work.

Honestly, it did look like a lot of our players stopped trying, because they realised the game was lost, and then Geelong went in to cruise control.

That's exactly what it looked like.

I think we were tired and a bit sore and the adrenalin from the previous week had worn off , they quickly got the better of us and it was a bridge too far. Once your intensity drops off like ours did it usually looks a lot worse than what it is. No one is suggesting any player consciously stopped trying.

I was saying at the game that this is a common occurrence that Prelims blow out once the game is gone, realisation hits that you are in your last game and that you have lost a chance at a GF spot... huge let down mentally, I don't think it is a conscious thing, you only have to drop off a few percent and the flood gates open.

I don’t get this.

This is certainly an interesting manifestation of coping with an unwanted outcome. Not that anyone is wrong to feel the way they do, just that I think in times of stress or crisis or disappointment, different people have different psychological needs.

Some people may feel that unless their sense of frustration, outrage, sadness etc is mirrored back to them by the official response then that response just isn’t good enough. I’m not sure much useful comes of it ultimately though. I feel that extreme end of that approach leads to things like the infamous Adelaide camp.

Others of us may feel the official response adequately reflects disappointment without it needing to be stated so overtly.

Each to their own I guess. I honestly doubt anyone is as disappointed as the coaches and players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is certainly an interesting manifestation of coping with an unwanted outcome. Not that anyone is wrong to feel the way they do, just that I think in times of stress or crisis or disappointment, different people have different psychological needs.

Some people may feel that unless their sense of frustration, outrage, sadness etc is mirrored back to them by the official response then that response just isn’t good enough. I’m not sure much useful comes of it ultimately though. I feel that extreme end of that approach leads to things like the infamous Adelaide camp.

Others of us may feel the official response adequately reflects disappointment without it needing to be stated so overtly.

Each to their own I guess. I honestly doubt anyone is as disappointed as the coaches and players.
True.

The messaging just needs to be rejigged to keep the majority on board and invested .

No one is remotely suggesting the extreme end ,a public bake ,whatever. I can tell you unequivocally that the current messaging is wearing thin with a lot of supporters after a significant loss. It wouldn't be hard to get away from the learnings and just express some of the accurate thoughts that have been expressed on this thread.

Fwiiw I heard nothing from many people until they heard the presser. They're not outraged or sad. Just scratching their heads. Take it or leave it .

True.

The messaging just needs to be rejigged to keep the majority on board and invested .

No one is remotely suggesting the extreme end ,a public bake ,whatever. I can tell you unequivocally that the current messaging is wearing thin with a lot of supporters after a significant loss. It wouldn't be hard to get away from the learnings and just express some of the accurate thoughts that have been expressed on this thread.

Fwiiw I heard nothing from many people until they heard the presser. They're not outraged or sad. Just scratching their heads. Take it or leave it .
You and your supporter friends are the only ones I have ever heard carry on about Fages pressers. All of the Lions supporters I know regard his messaging as authentic, measured, respectful of his players and the opposition and professional...he is never going to please everyone. Take it or leave it.

You and your supporter friends are the only ones I have ever heard carry on about Fages pressers. All of the Lions supporters I know regard his messaging as authentic, measured, respectful of his players and the opposition and professional...he is never going to please everyone. Take it or leave it.
Honestly I gave up on coach pressers a while ago. 99% of them is nothing statements and everything is so PR managed that you dont really get much out of it. If anything interesting is said, it'll get dragged out into something else in the media

Jonathan Brown nails it,we are to slow.

Lyons, Matho Rich, and a quite a few more.

We get done out of the centre,on too many times.

No idea who the journalist is - this article popped up in my FB feed - , can't be any worse than the known ones are that work for all the major's given the crap they spew up, but cant say disagree with this journalists piece - could even be beardancer LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back