Season on the line next week

Remove this Banner Ad

I am confident that *if we get our best on the park bar maybe a couple we can win it from here. We have had a s**t run with injuries, umpires and the MRC (which is now an absolute joke) but our best is better than the rest by a bit.

I think Melbourne is now doing what we did last year. Like a cat with a mouse playing around, switching on when they need to and stuffing around when they can. So they are a threat, but we can beat them, as we have.

I am not concerned about the Pies. IMO if they beat us when we are on no-one will get them.

Jagging the game against Port in Adelaide would be nearly as tough but more important. Beat Bulldogs twice, Port twice and St Kilda then our odds of snatching 4th go way up. If anything we want Collingwood, Melbourne and Brisbane to win as many games as possible. Or at least, the games against sides currently in 4th-10th.

Lucky we avoided the Crows in Adelaide this year - they're a completely different beast at home.

It's even harder to get a read on how we're travelling, which makes these predictions almost pointless. So many players out that if we get back SHOULD turn things around... but if we keep getting injuries or those players don't hit form once back, we're in trouble.

But that's the glass half empty view.

Lucky we avoided the Crows in Adelaide this year - they're a completely different beast at home.

It's even harder to get a read on how we're travelling, which makes these predictions almost pointless. So many players out that if we get back SHOULD turn things around... but if we keep getting injuries or those players don't hit form once back, we're in trouble.

But that's the glass half empty view.
I think we're fine, we just had an off night and couldn't afford to be so bad by foot - especially that first half in front of goal - with that squad, on a night where a bunch of senior players were poor.

What we can't afford is this to turn into another mini slump like round 1-3. I know it's a difficult assignment but a win in Perth would really steady the ship and launch us on another winning run.

Why do you say that?

I think the Lions game is 40/60 at best - they're a different team up here.

That said, if we get most of our injured back AND if they're back to their old form, then maybe it becomes more a 50/50.
They literally never lose up there. It’s other games we have to win- eg doggies, dees!

Stengle and SDK might be playing with some hardware attached to their bones. Might be a bit tentative for a couple of weeks. Close is a very important inclusion. Happy if Knevitt and Clark stay in the 22. I doubt Bews will play.

Yep- but I have to say they seem a bit better this year- we will see.
Adelaide away
St Kilda away
Melbourne away
Collingwood away

These will be the litmus tests of the Lions this season and likely determine if they will finish top 2 to get those two home finals. The Melbourne game will be massive.

Unfortunately, I don't think top 4 is possible looking at Port and Brisbane's fixture. We would need to beat Port in Adelaide and/or Brisbane at the Gabba to have a chance.

I think we will be battling with Bulldogs for the 5th position which wouldn't be the end of the world. We may actually get a home final against Adelaide or St Kilda (worst case Richmond if they sneak in).

Rounds 12 to 15 will ultimately determine where we finish.

12 - Bulldogs at Marvel (50/50)
13 - BYE
14 - Port in Adelaide (40/60)
15 - Melbourne in Geelong (50/50)

We play both Bulldogs and Port again in Geelong which are no guaranteed wins. Bulldogs in the final round at GMBHA could be a playoff for a top 4/5 position..

AFL making us play Collingwood at the MCG twice is the biggest farce. Our management should do all in its power to never let this happen again once our stadium redevelopment is complete.

Collingwood, Melbourne, and Brisbane should safely hold the top 3 positions and Port look like holding the 4th unless we can beat them twice.

Side note, we play all 6 teams above us on the ladder at least once so our destiny is in our own hands.
The Stadium redevelopment was scheduled for completion by mid season. It's now scheduled for start of 2024 season. This is why we had so many games booked at the MCG and the club doesn't mind the increased gate takings. Only problem is it guaranteed an extremely difficult draw. If we can finish in the top 6 I think it would be a great achievement. However it will make it almost impossible to go back to back.

Personally I'm not as stressed about top 4 as what appears plenty of others are..
If we have the cattle available we are good enough to win from anywhere, against anyone...

It's a big if given our current situation, but since the pre finals bye I don't think it's the be all and end all. Just have to be ready for a 4 week burst come September and primed for that.

We may just not be good enough on the day albeit because of form or availability, but certainly its not season over this week if we drop the game.. As long as the injury list starts to shirk instead of grow.

We are in a better position than last year's other grand finalist. Sydney has just lost Mills for at least 4 wks and McDonald for at least 6 due to injury. I think their injury list is worse than ours.

We are in a better position than last year's other grand finalist. Sydney has just lost Mills for at least 4 wks and McDonald for at least 6 due to injury. I think their injury list is worse than ours.
Yeah, we want to be comparing to the Melbourne's and Collingwoods though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it? Why?

The top team has lost one game and is 8-1. The next three teams are all sitting on 7-2. In 2019 and 2021 for starters two of the top 4 were on 6-3.

Because the top 4 teams this year are ones that have significant weaknesses that teams of 5-10 years ago in the top 4 didnt have.

dazbroncos winty
Should have my preview done by tomorrow - do you want me to post it here ?
Thanks
F2G

Preview thread is now open - you can post it in there when you're ready and we'll edit so it gets bumped up the post order

Adelaide away
St Kilda away
Melbourne away
Collingwood away

These will be the litmus tests of the Lions this season and likely determine if they will finish top 2 to get those two home finals. The Melbourne game will be massive.
Yep and dees, a bit of a grudge match! They aren’t beating pies at the g. Doubt they’ll beat crows. If good saints turn up -that’ then that‘s a tough one too.
So ok - could actually be 4-0.

Preview thread is now open - you can post it in there when you're ready and we'll edit so it gets bumped up the post order

Cheers cats_09

Jagging the game against Port in Adelaide would be nearly as tough but more important. Beat Bulldogs twice, Port twice and St Kilda then our odds of snatching 4th go way up. If anything we want Collingwood, Melbourne and Brisbane to win as many games as possible. Or at least, the games against sides currently in 4th-10th.
Spot on, if we can win those then I'd just about lock us in to 4th.

I suspect those 3 will stumble at some point as well, but if we can beat them ourselves then chances are we finish above them, particularly with Port and Dogs x2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back