Opinion Season on the line this week against Carlton. No, really.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Monday morning and nobody has posted this thread yet, so I'll do the honours. For once, I think it might actually be the case.

I found a pictorial representation of where our season is at.

1622422221739.png

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we are almost at the stage where we are flogging a dead horse with this list and this game style.

Lack of run has been an issue for 2 years now, with either our forwards or our A grade mids (when not injured) papering over the cracks at times. It isn't all doom and gloom, with Rotham, Petruccelle and Williams for example all showing good signs, but maybe we need a slight reset?

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Top four (and therefore realistically the season) is already gone, however if we can find a way to win this game and limp to the mid-season break, we can get some soldiers back and build form towards the end of the season. I guess if we are really up and going come finals there is a glimmer of hope, because our best 22 is as good as anyone's. Lose this week and put a fork in us.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The essendon game killed my optimism. We are in real danger of losing this week, given the injuries have become even worse (Kelly and Allen to miss) and our form is shocking.

Lose this week and we could be looking at 6 losses in a row. I have no confidence in us beating tigers, swans or dogs after the bye. If that happens, we would be 6 wins 9 losses and won't be making finals. We should keep having a crack, but if we hit that point, it's definitely time to send stars for surgery etc and debut the young guys to see what they've got.

It's essential that we hit the draft hard this off season, re-jig the gameplan and make sure we start 2022 with a fit core of experienced players.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other thread says its over...what am I to believe? And are you sure the season is on the line?....really?....this one?
Sorry but I've been burnt before with this.

DieSwans

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Melb Renegades
Not only is the season over, regardless of result....

But Carlton will also win.

Time to start focusing on next season....
Get everyone healthy, start working on tweaking the list and get a new ******* midfield coach

I think we are almost at the stage where we are flogging a dead horse with this list and this game style.

Lack of run has been an issue for 2 years now, with either our forwards or our A grade mids (when not injured) papering over the cracks at times. It isn't all doom and gloom, with Rotham, Petruccelle and Williams for example all showing good signs, but maybe we need a slight reset?
We have had a few resets with this list already, in 2015 and 2018 where we made a few changes to personnel and game style with excellent results.

Perhaps manic pressure could be our next adjustment? You can always hope

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We have had a few resets with this list already, in 2015 and 2018 where we made a few changes to personnel and game style with excellent results.

Perhaps manic pressure could be our next adjustment? You can always hope
We moved from a stoppage based game in 2017 to a possession/control game in 2018 (featuring quick and direct transition when the opportunities opened up). I suspect our next jump is to get on board the quick play-on/quick rebound that a few other teams have deployed (Dogs, Cats, Crows etc). The great thing with our team is that we have a very talented forward line. Pump the ball in their more often and we will kick some big scores.

Divebomb

Debutant
Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
We moved from a stoppage based game in 2017 to a possession/control game in 2018 (featuring quick and direct transition when the opportunities opened up). I suspect our next jump is to get on board the quick play-on/quick rebound that a few other teams have deployed (Dogs, Cats, Crows etc). The great thing with our team is that we have a very talented forward line. Pump the ball in their more often and we will kick some big scores.

Yep. Thats what a lot of teams are doing. The kick mark game should be thrown out the window to a degree. It seems that we are not taking advantage of the man on the mark rule and it is already half way into the season which west coast should put a line through.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

It's like a mystery isn't it.
How do they not know this?

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd give us a better than even chance to beat the top 12, and practically zero chance of beating a top 4 side. That's where our season is at really and I think our current ladder position of 7th is exactly where we are at in 2021. That sounds a bit stupid and obvious, but we are a bottom 8 side as of right now, and there's no getting away from it in the short term.

Our Forward and Backline are so impressive, but our midfield is not capable of matching top most top 8 sides (that's not entirely the players fault, they are covering positions and injuries. Just circumstance as much as talent). The game is so much faster now, and the rules bought in since 2018 have completely changed the way the game is being played is a very, very short amount of time.

2019 'Zones' absolutely cooked our 'serviceable midfield supported by gun fwd/bk line' game style imo, and we've been struggling ever since. Again F50 lockdown was a key pillar of Simmos gameplan, and the 2021 new man on the mark rule has eroded that ability pretty significantly as well. The plan that won us 2018 just can't work in 2021 and every field position now essentially has to rely on its core group, rather than being able to 'pull a few levers' and bring players in and out, and with injuries and new players being blooded like no tomorrow you can't use 'immature' players in less defined roles effectively imo.

Simmo is still a gun coach and I have absolute faith in him (I think 99% of fans do) but I don't think aspects of the current gameplan, along with some personnel, can't be carried forward for too much longer with the expectation that it will miraculously carry the team into the top 4.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Not only is the season over, regardless of result....

But Carlton will also win.

Time to start focusing on next season....
Get everyone healthy, start working on tweaking the list and get a new ******* midfield coach
Please sir

Can i have some more…….sam mitchell

Too many of our players seem reluctant to move the ball aggressively. It's why Shuey and Yeo make such a difference

Back