Preview SEASON OPENER - Sydney Swans versus Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the latest injury talk saying that Florent and Heeney should be ok and Buddy a chance, I'd go with something like this:

Rampe - Melican - Lloyd
Jones - Aliir - Cunningham
Florent - Mills - Heeney
Hewett - Reid - Hayward
Ronke - Franklin - Papley
Sinclair - Parker - Kennedy
I/C - Dawson - Blakey - Clarke (and one of Thurlow/O'Riordan/McVeigh as a 7th defender)

For me, playing Melican, Reg and Aliir is one too many bigs in defence, so Reg misses out.

Am sure they'll pick McVeigh and probably deservedly so, but would like a bit more run out of defence from an O'Riordan/Thurlow/McInerney type.
If you play Aliir, Grundy & Melican it's just so you can push Sinclair down forward. With both Buddy and Reid fit that's not necessary though

IMO there's no way Melican should be getting a game ahead of Grundy.

Grundy is just much better than Lewis at this point, Reg is a lock at full-back still.

It's funny but have you ever noticed how much better the back six and the team generally plays when McVeigh plays. While different opponents, our form between the two JLT games was chalk and cheese and it was McVeigh who was the barometer.

If McVeigh is fit, he is an absolute lock to play. Especially if as planned they want to run Mills in the midfield more, as he has the same poise and leadership skills as McVeigh down back.

I don't believe in barometers. Especially when the barometer is the main contributor for your slow and stagnant ball movement out of the defensive 50.

I agree there but is it necessarily wise? It is if he is ready to go and there is little chance of him injuring himself. But if he is not 75-80% ready then he is at risk of further injury

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree. I also don't see the point in having one of the great athletes to ever play our game running around there if he is not at full capacity. Why not just be patient and let him get to full capacity? We can win without him.

Grundy is just much better than Lewis at this point, Reg is a lock at full-back still.

I think his intercepting is still elite too. He still reads the play better than anyone in the back six, including Aliir, who has made that his trademark. (I'm sure Aliir will overtake him soon)

I think our flooded backline helped McVeigh in contests. This is obviously difficult this year with 666. I worry he will be exposed one on one against speedy forwards. That said he was serviceable last year and will no doubt get games. I'd hope we do some mix and match, selecting him v teams where his lack of closing speed will be less of an issue.

I think it is pretty clear with the new rules, speed is a premium attribute. I would be surprised if there are many games where McVeigh, Smith and Reg are all selected.

McVeigh will of course get exposed. He was exposed last year every time he was in a one on one or even in a slightly contested situation where his total lack of physicality was a liability. He just forged rose-coloured glasses for all of us supporters by doing clever tap-ons and cute chip kicks that bumped his DE% (yet Lloyd is pummelled for them?) I think at some point the little things that McVeigh does that make us go "gee this guy ages like a fine wine" simply can't compensate for the ways in which he is a liability to us. We are now at that point IMO.

The half back flanker is one of the most important roles in footy today. You need to be either able to compete and be solid in one-on-ones (like a Rory Laird, Adam Kennedy or an Elliot Yeo) or you need to be able to be an attacking player via leg speed (Conor McKenna, Adam Saad, Zac Williams, Christian Salem, Bachar Houli or Jason Johannisen) or via a penetrating kick (Brodie Smith, Nathan Wilson, Lachie Whitfield, James Sicily.)

McVeigh is not up to it in all three of the above areas. That's just the harsh reality and anyone who believes what he offers outweighs what he costs us in those areas is kidding themselves.

Actually the two who didn't play the first were Macca and Reg. I think both control the defence between them.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

So, what, when McVeigh is old enough to be in a wheelchair and doesn't know whether he's Arthur or Martha, are we supposed to keep him in the best 22 because he has footy smarts and a finger to point with?

McVeigh will of course get exposed. He was exposed last year every time he was in a one on one or even in a slightly contested situation where his total lack of physicality was a liability. He just forged rose-coloured glasses for all of us supporters by doing clever tap-ons and cute chip kicks that bumped his DE% (yet Lloyd is pummelled for them?) I think at some point the little things that McVeigh does that make us go "gee this guy ages like a fine wine" simply can't compensate for the ways in which he is a liability to us. We are now at that point IMO.

The half back flanker is one of the most important roles in footy today. You need to be either able to compete and be solid in one-on-ones (like a Rory Laird, Adam Kennedy or an Elliot Yeo) or you need to be able to be an attacking player via leg speed (Conor McKenna, Adam Saad, Zac Williams, Christian Salem, Bachar Houli or Jason Johannisen) or via a penetrating kick (Brodie Smith, Nathan Wilson, Lachie Whitfield, James Sicily.)

McVeigh is not up to it in all three of the above areas. That's just the harsh reality and anyone who believes what he offers outweighs what he costs us in those areas is kidding themselves.
Lloyd and Macca are shocking one on ones

Macca is still very worthy of a spot in this team imo

Lloyd isn't a star defensively but he's much improved and doesn't give ground easily. Calling him shocking I think is an overstatement. Similar to later-career Malceski imo. He was a liability defensively for a while (around 2010/11 in particular) but he worked really hard to strengthen himself in defensive contests and learn how to be an extra man up sagging off his opponent and he became pretty adept at it in the end. I think Lloyd is on the same trajectory, he's just smaller so he isn't naturally able to have an effect as much.

McVeigh on the other hand I can see losing his spot at some stage this year due to pure lack of foot speed.

Of the three veterans potentially playing down back, I think Reg offers the most for the team. He's still strong defensively, takes relieving marks and is still a good kick. However 2A and Melican are arguably ahead of him. He is a must selection when we play tall forward lines.

Take issue with Caesar re McVeigh. I thought he was ok defensively last year but 666 will be a nightmare for him

I think Smith is going downhill. Soft tissue injury has impeded his preparation. I would be happy if he could keep an Eddie or Green to a handful of possies. I would be delighted if he had very few of his own. Unfortunately the Oppo love it when he has the ball. There is no risk of apenetrating kick or attacking run. Instead there is a chippety chip backwards or sideways and the chance for us to be bottled up in D 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd isn't a star defensively but he's much improved and doesn't give ground easily. Calling him shocking I think is an overstatement. Similar to later-career Malceski imo. He was a liability defensively for a while (around 2010/11 in particular) but he worked really hard to strengthen himself in defensive contests and learn how to be an extra man up sagging off his opponent and he became pretty adept at it in the end. I think Lloyd is on the same trajectory, he's just smaller so he isn't naturally able to have an effect as much.

McVeigh on the other hand I can see losing his spot at some stage this year due to pure lack of foot speed.
Mal was a much a better intercept that both , more sound defensively imo

mcveigh has prolonged his career with smarts and the fact he is so reliable by foot compared to most of the team. There were a few times last year he got exposed down back , but he can switch forward

Thought the same thing. Are they not aware of our last two prestigious academy selections? Florent also debuted in round 1 and Hayward round 2 after their draft year.

Speaking of SuperCoach, anyone else jumping on Mills? Lloyd understandably seems the more logical choice, but I think Mills could become a 90+ avg player and at sub-450k he's a pretty tasty choice. I'm losing confidence due to seeing him in a lack of other teams though.
Florent was premature and correctly went back to NEAFL. Hayward had justified his place since.

With the latest injury talk saying that Florent and Heeney should be ok and Buddy a chance, I'd go with something like this:

Rampe - Melican - Lloyd
Jones - Aliir - Cunningham
Florent - Mills - Heeney
Hewett - Reid - Hayward
Ronke - Franklin - Papley
Sinclair - Parker - Kennedy
I/C - Dawson - Blakey - Clarke (and one of Thurlow/O'Riordan/McVeigh as a 7th defender)

For me, playing Melican, Reg and Aliir is one too many bigs in defence, so Reg misses out.

Am sure they'll pick McVeigh and probably deservedly so, but would like a bit more run out of defence from an O'Riordan/Thurlow/McInerney type.
Ronke won't play. Shoulder not great and he played desperate in the ressies. Macca will play. If a tall defender misses it will be Melican who missed last year and Started late. Thurlow will be last defender.

Correct. Until Grundy Plays himself out or Melican starts to work his way back in after last years setback and gets back to the promise he showed Reg is still in for me.

Mal was a much a better intercept that both , more sound defensively imo

I wouldn't even really call Malceski an interceptor. That wasn't really his game, but he certainly improved defensively over the course of his career.

He's longer, taller and rangier than Lloyd so he has that to his advantage. But I don't think Lloyd is all that bad defensively. He's not particularly good but he does the job asked of him. I'd love to see O'Riordan develop to the point he can replace McVeigh over the course of the year to add even more run and athleticism to the back half.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even really call Malceski an interceptor. That wasn't really his game, but he certainly improved defensively over the course of his career.

He's longer, taller and rangier than Lloyd so he has that to his advantage. But I don't think Lloyd is all that bad defensively. He's not particularly good but he does the job asked of him. I'd love to see O'Riordan develop to the point he can risplace McVeigh over the course of the year to add even more run and athleticism to the back half.
He was very good at interception mark

Imo cor won’t make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back