Review Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

There was two under Blight ('89 first week and '94 GF), two under Ayres ('95 GF and 96 first week).

End of the day, though, getting the double chance got us the chance to get flogged twice. We overachieved.
Don't reckon we overachieved.
Last year we beat all the top 8 teams except 1.
This year we beat the Crows, Tigers, and GWS.
Overachieving is a cop out IMO.

I agree with a review. It would be interesting to include someone like Hodge or other recent opposition player/coach to in the discussion of our poor starts. What weakness did he see in real time, etc.
Big question might be why CS and staff are reluctant to go to runnng game more often.
Do Geelong even do Leading Teams like stuff anymore? Would it even work on millennials?

For perspectives sake only: I just watched a 2004 match v Essendon; Scarlett, Milburn, Harley, Hunt, Enright, Rooke, Mackie, Ablett, Wojcinski, Corey, Mooney, Chapman, Ling. Glimpses of class here and there, some clangers, some aggro, lol at Mackie trading jumper punches with McVeigh. How long had this group been together and how long before they went to a Grand Final? after a few handy additions I admit :)

This year they've been inconsistent, last preseason they sorted the conditioning, next preseason I hope they work on the skills and teamwork.

Don't reckon we overachieved.
Last year we beat all the top 8 teams except 1.
This year we beat the Crows, Tigers, and GWS.
Overachieving is a cop out IMO.

In 2016:
- We finished 2nd on the ladder.
- We won 17 games, with a percentage of 143.8.
- We lost one final, by 37 points.

In 2017:
- We won 15 games with one draw, with a percentage of 117.4.
- We lost two finals, by 51 points and 61 points.

Clearly improvement everywhere.

In 2016:

In 2017:

I reckon we struggled to cover Enright, Bartel and Caddy more than we'd like to admit, and the loss of form from Guthrie and Blitz really hurt. In my estimation we have dropped perhaps half a yard on last year - and Adelaide's a better side than either of the grand finalists last year.

Those nine debutants weren't all AFL-ready players who had demanded selection. Parfitt yes, Tuohy derr, but Zuthrie, Simpson, O'Connor and, to a lesser degree, Buzz, all had a bit of the Hail Mary about them. We didn't have 22 AFL-ready players to play every week; that wasn't the case in 2016.

Last edited:
I reckon we struggled to cover Enright, Bartel and Caddy more than we'd like to admit, and the loss of form from Guthrie and Blitz really hurt. In my estimation we have dropped perhaps half a yard on last year - and Adelaide's a better side than either of the grand finallists last year.

Yep, and Adelaide had question marks on them, for good reason. But they haven't cracked yet, and really should win on Saturday. Although Richmond have proven to be much, much better than anyone thought, and far better than anyone will admit.

We were only rank underdogs twice under Bomber - that 2010 PF, and the 2004 game vs Port. Both we got done pretty bloody handsomely.
Sorry forgot about the Port game. Got pummelled.
I considered us underdogs in both the Essendon and Brissy games that year.

Sorry forgot about the Port game. Got pummelled.
I considered us underdogs in both the Essendon and Brissy games that year.
Definitely in the Brissy game, but we were better than Essendon and beat them in regular season IIRC. I wouldn't have said we were - to quote - rank underdogs, though. Same with Nick Davis vs Geelong 2005.

In 2016:

In 2017:

What is considered over achieving finishing 2nd anyway.
Not beating any of the other top 8 teams.
Not beating any other top 4 teams.
Only doing it once and then falling completely out of finals.
I don't really get it. It would just seem on results for a few years we just fail in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always felt that Scott selects a team that is far too tall, so it was particularly galling to see us go into another final with Hawkins, Stanley, Smith, Blicavs, Taylor, Henderson and Lonergan. The whole idea of selecting Dangerfield at full forward is to create our own version of "small ball" isn't it? So why then select Stanley as a forward and three tall defenders....I just don't get it.

The second area I think we fall down, which is related, is too many guys up forward don't tackle. Menzel doesn't chase, neither does Stanley, nor Hawkins, and while Lang and Motlop do a bit more in that regard, they lack the strength to punish when they do lay them. It's a bad combination IMO.

Next season, if we can get Stringer and Ablett, we have a forward-line that is way more powerful than this season, but simultaneously more mobile. Stringer, Ablett and Cockatoo can all break tackles, they are all pretty darn good at winning at ground level and have a lot of speed. We might need to get them to improve their defensive work rate a little but if we can get that to a good level then IMO we're going to be frightening up forward.
We have been playing two forwards, two rucks and three defenders as talls since the early 2000's. Mooney, NAblett, Ottens, King, Egan, Scarlett and Harley sound familiar? Obviously the dastardly Scott must have been whispering in Bomber's ear back then even while he was still playing.

Definitely in the Brissy game, but we were better than Essendon and beat them in regular season IIRC. I wouldn't have said we were - to quote - rank underdogs, though. Same with Nick Davis vs Geelong 2005.
I thought we were in 2005. I thought we could win but was an interstate final and Sydney were hard to score against.

Ask how many times we lost two finals by 50+ margins in the same finals series under Thompson. Or Ayres. Or Blight for that matter.

The response is likely to be filled with cowardice and lies.

bit hyperbolic... not everyone who broadly supports scott is a coward and liar.

i dont know how many times it happened under the others... ill guess 0?

odd finals series, though. a single close game in the whole lot.

Yep, and Adelaide had question marks on them, for good reason. But they haven't cracked yet, and really should win on Saturday. Although Richmond have proven to be much, much better than anyone thought, and far better than anyone will admit.

ive always rated richmond this season. change one result in their run of 'last gasp losses' after adelaide thumped them, and theyre the top team (not counting that changing a result means the season plays out entirely differently). there are people on here that rate them, though. however, people dont give up on tried and true 'ammunition' when it comes to pot-shots on BF, ive found!

far better than their still decent season record indicates, in my opinion. they play one of those risky games as far as premiership chances go, though... high on defense, and not great on offense. those teams dont historically do as well as 'high-scorers'. although lately they have been putting up impressive scores and offensive displays.

i think the reason a lot on here dont rate richmond is because posters arent overly reactive on BF. people on here generally have their beliefs, and they search for anything to prove them right, and ignore anything to the contrary. a lot of confirmation bias on here.

ive enjoyed the tigers since 2013, really hope they can do it this year. but i have a perennial soft spot for underdogs in any sport.

We have been playing two forwards, two rucks and three defenders as talls since the early 2000's. Mooney, NAblett, Ottens, King, Egan, Scarlett and Harley sound familiar? Obviously the dastardly Scott must have been whispering in Bomber's ear back then even while he was still playing.
3 tall defenders are fine. But then you add Kolo to that and it's a bit much.
Also Stewart and Mackie aren't really small defenders. Mackie has done the job well on Cyril though.

3 tall defenders are fine. But then you add Kolo to that and it's a bit much.
Also Stewart and Mackie aren't really small defenders. Mackie has done the job well on Cyril though.
Mackie was also part of the 2007 lineup along with Milburn who played CHB in the GF, Blitz hasn't been playing tall for much of the season, more like a ruck-rover in spite of his height. However with Kolo in defense alongside the others I felt we could have been too tall, although he has tended to play further upfield when Taylor is playing back. It would have made little difference to the outcome if say Zuthrie had been in instead of Kolo. We were smashed by the Crows and Tigers all over the field, particularly in the last quarters when we choked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back