Remove this Banner Ad

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My take.dew now knows what the list has with almost all of them getting a crack

If the season stopped at round 7 it was a really good season.

Florini going down hurt the kid has a bit of flair an a ball winner future captain. He brodie.ballard.gooba.powell.kk.miller are a nice core group to build with.

Sexton.wright.powell
Holman.luko.young

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My take.dew now knows what the list has with almost all of them getting a crack
Ya
I was a bit dismayed by some selection policy this year but in the end the whole list( apart from Scrim???) was looked at at top level and I take comfort from that
I think I know a bit about footy but I reckon that’s just like parents who think they know more about teaching than professional teachers.In the end I know sweet FA.AFL at the top level has been these guys lives for 20/30/40/50 years- we just dabble
They know what’s going down
Who can play
Who can’t
Who’s ready
Who isn’t
So 2018 isn’t a write-off
It’s a renewal
A catharsis
A scouring
The Biblical Flood
And Noah Dew is putting the worthy on the Ark
The rest can * off

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

PokerChamp

Senior List
Mar 29, 2006
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not a lot of positives this year...

If my source is accurate and it should be considering he runs the club, then...

Steven May will remain at the Suns long term.

Will not be chasing any players for big money this off season, looking at next year to get 2 gun players (not sure who).

Using the draft to get best young kids available with first 5 picks then get some mature age players with other picks, probably from state league teams.

Scrimshaw and Brodie are loving it on the Gold Coast and fully understand there position.

Lukosius is there main target and will be extremely happy to get drafted by Gold Coast. Is good mates with Ballard.

Reason for Barlow and Lyons weren't playing was the need for outside runners. However not sure everybody was in agreement with this.

Will be interesting how many of these things play out.

Gromma

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers.

Will not be chasing any players for big money this off season, looking at next year to get 2 gun players (not sure who).

Using the draft to get best young kids available with first 5 picks then get some mature age players with other picks, probably from state league teams.

Scrimshaw and Brodie are loving it on the Gold Coast and fully understand there position.

Lukosius is there main target and will be extremely happy to get drafted by Gold Coast. Is good mates with Ballard.

Reason for Barlow and Lyons weren't playing was the need for outside runners. However not sure everybody was in agreement with this.

Why would someone who runs the club show their cards like that Poker? Unless they are bluffing? If they want Lukosius they need pick 1 going in..so theyd have to trade for it. If Carlton dont want Lukosius then why give something up to get pick 1? No club gives out factual details about what they want and given at least one other of your points is not correct my guess is Mark (who runs the club) is....”bluffing”

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think Walsh is odds on to go number 1 now with Carlton preferring to go for more mids. I'd say we are 99.9% likely to get Luko based on a few reports I've read about how much Craig Cameron likes him. If he's good friends with Ballard too then all the better.

Gromma

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers.
I agree with Scrimshaw but I think you need to look at the reason behind Brodie not playing a little more

Played in rounds 11 and 12 for 14 possessions in both games with efficiency only about 50% in both - just wasn't converting form at AFL level. He was sent back to NEAFL, and when he came back in round 16 - 20 he averaged 23 disposals and 5 clearances. Would have played out the season had he not hurt his hamstring in round 21 late in the first quarter (was already on 8 disposals and 2 clearances.) throwing them in the deep end in the AFL isn't the only way to develop players
Agree with your point generally but disposal has not been most important to Dew as Brodes is not the only guilty culprit...also disposal doesnt come good in 2 or 3 weeks time it takes months to develop if not years...if disposal was important the other 0 party to the point contradicts it...What improved with Brodes was his spread and speed, hes worked hard there it seems...very positive signs...BTW confidence can fix disposal faster sometimes by playing regularly and being backed by the club...I look at Lonergan. He is such a stand out at NEAFL it makes no sense why he doesnt have an impact at AFL...my guess, confidence! He doesnt believe hes part of it and probably feels too much pressure...this is where a club culture of putting your arms around everyone is so important to bring
out the best. Good to hear club is aware if it.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Agree with your point generally but disposal has not been most important to Dew as Brodes is not the only guilty culprit...also disposal doesnt come good in 2 or 3 weeks time it takes months to develop if not years...if disposal was important the other 0 party to the point contradicts it...What improved with Brodes was his spread and speed, hes worked hard there it seems...very positive signs...BTW confidence can fix disposal faster sometimes by playing regularly and being backed by the club...I look at Lonergan. He is such a stand out at NEAFL it makes no sense why he doesnt have an impact at AFL...my guess, confidence! He doesnt believe hes part of it and probably feels too much pressure...this is where a club culture of putting your arms around everyone is so important to bring
I think Disposal got a lot to do with the speed and pressure of the games, NEAFL are a lot slower and less pressure compare to AFL . Opposition Players close space faster in AFL than in NEAFL .

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Completely agree it wasn’t the reason but the amount he was turning the ball over probably didn’t help. I think everyone at the club is aware that we’re a 2020 vision atm. Just need to get games into all the kids and keep the core group of young guys together but can’t just gift games to every young kid every week like the Essendon supporter was suggesting.

Gromma

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers.
I think Disposal got a lot to do with the speed and pressure of the games, NEAFL are a lot slower and less pressure compare to AFL . Opposition Players close space faster in AFL than in NEAFL .
Yes agree...Even more reason why they need to be left in longer to develop...pace takes time to get used to...agree with other comments that Powell was left in too long!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eighties

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty forgettable season. Enough positives there to still have hope for next season though. Couple of short player reviews....

Ballard - Unexpected highlight of the season for me. Love his game, really think he can be an A grade player in the future. Smart with ball in hand, tough, great mark, above average disposal, great size. has all the ingredients to be a star IMO. Hope he develops into that tall Mid that he wants to be.

Holman - One of the best pickups for the year. Few average games but one of a few shining lights for us over the whole season. Tough as nails too. Really enjoyed his attack on the ball and the man this year.

Bowes - First half of the season I was thinking he could be a major bust, but got better and better as the season wore on. Last few games reallly came on and showed some flashes of brilliance and seemed to always just appear in the right spots. Going to be a great player I think.

Brodie - played well with the limited opportunities he got. Drawing players to him for that extra second is a skill not many players have and he has it. Can get the ball and disposal by hand in close is great. Should be in the team round 1 next year.

Scheer - Didnt really rate any of his games in the seniors at all except his last one. Though the was really good! The fact he had impact in a 100pt loss in round 23 is a good sign. Another pre-season in him and he could be a smokey to be best 22 next year.

Sexton - Never liked his game at all since he has been at the club. Didnt think he should be best 22 at the start of the season. Back half of the year was good for him and was our main goal kicker and showed alot more than I thought he had. Gives it his all out there. Hope he can keep building because he hits the scoreboard and has the pace that we desperately need.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty forgettable season. Enough positives there to still have hope for next season though. Couple of short player reviews....

Ballard - Unexpected highlight of the season for me. Love his game, really think he can be an A grade player in the future. Smart with ball in hand, tough, great mark, above average disposal, great size. has all the ingredients to be a star IMO. Hope he develops into that tall Mid that he wants to be.

Holman - One of the best pickups for the year. Few average games but one of a few shining lights for us over the whole season. Tough as nails too. Really enjoyed his attack on the ball and the man this year.

Bowes - First half of the season I was thinking he could be a major bust, but got better and better as the season wore on. Last few games reallly came on and showed some flashes of brilliance and seemed to always just appear in the right spots. Going to be a great player I think.

Brodie - played well with the limited opportunities he got. Drawing players to him for that extra second is a skill not many players have and he has it. Can get the ball and disposal by hand in close is great. Should be in the team round 1 next year.

Scheer - Didnt really rate any of his games in the seniors at all except his last one. Though the was really good! The fact he had impact in a 100pt loss in round 23 is a good sign. Another pre-season in him and he could be a smokey to be best 22 next year.

Sexton - Never liked his game at all since he has been at the club. Didnt think he should be best 22 at the start of the season. Back half of the year was good for him and was our main goal kicker and showed alot more than I thought he had. Gives it his all out there. Hope he can keep building because he hits the scoreboard and has the pace that we desperately need.

I like a lot of what you've posted, and whilst I don't get to actually watch a lot of the Suns games, whereby I rely on you blokes to give me some idea, I've been here since the start. The bad Witheriff, tin sheds, Bluey, Hunt, early days where we all thought we were going to get the chocolates, and instead, we got the cough drops. I nearly included Rocket there but even though it was only a Superannuation top up for him, I think he got us looking to what we needed to do to succeed, even though he was no chance to achieve it.
I really believe now, that we are in that half second before we turn the corner. We have most things in place, to help us achieve this. We have Coch, Evans,Hart, Stuey, great facilities, and a core of young blokes who want to be part of the adventure going forward, led by Spitta and Co. All we need now, is a good pre-season, less injuries, a good trade/draft period and I can see The Suns moving up the ladder.....it might take 1, 2 3 or even 4 yrs, but I honestly believe we're on the right track. I only hope I'm still around to see us make Finals.....what a joy that would be....

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions

I think Walsh is odds on to go number 1 now with Carlton preferring to go for more mids. I'd say we are 99.9% likely to get Luko based on a few reports I've read about how much Craig Cameron likes him. If he's good friends with Ballard too then all the better.
These two posts make me really happy. May to stay and we get a once in a generation talent in Lukosius.

Take Walsh Carlton don't be ******* our s**t up.

Also stoked that Cameron is doing the obvious and logical selection not trying to be a clever dick like Clayton used to by taking some bizarre selection (although I do like Clayton unlike others).

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
A season with such low expectations given everything.
The first 5 rounds gave hope. Then we didn't get to see much more.
Could have easily won 2-3 More games. Bulldogs and saints game come to mind. Turn 4 wins to 6-7 wins and it doesnt seem such a bad year.
Still the same rotton luck with injury.
A clean out of assistants and other staff on the way. Dew to finally get his team now.
Plenty of players took steps forward this year. Making no mistake we aren't in a great place right now. But these are the steps required to go forward over the next few years.
Just don't want to be overtaken by Carlton next season. If we can get 6+ wins next year and limit the beltings we will be trending the right direction.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Just watched Dews post match and he was asked about the improvement he has seen and he talked about a coming together of the group, I would hope he sees more than that because another year of floggings cannot be tolerated.

I can and have accepted in the past when we lose but 100 floggings and months without a win can not be repeated.

First order of business is get bigger, we are too easily pushed off the ball
Next learn to hit a target, shank artists like Harbrow can’t be the kicker up the ground, they need to hand off to a designated link man with some foot skills.
Next fitness, we don’t run hard to provide an easy option and this kills us when we already can’t hit a target.
Lastly, week in and out I see out guys get pushed off the ground ball by a player getting rid of the opposition and then going for the ball, we seem to have eyes only for the ball as a result we go to ground and the opposition grab the ball.
We will not be competitive until the above is addressed

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
SunnerSS and I will be going through this and more in depth on the GCSunscast tomorrow night, but I'll put together a few thoughts now.

It isn't any secret that I'm the Captain of Team Optimist on this Board. In the preseason, I was thinking Finals could be a prospect. By Round 2, after 2 wins, I was thinking Lynch would re-sign, the Defence had become one of the best in the comp and Jack Martin would win the Brownlow. Even after the Doomsday Double and close win over the Lions, 5 weeks straight in the Top 8 had me thinking we could potentially get back to Metricon at 6 and 3 or 5 and 4, but then the close loss in Ballarat started a slide that just got worse as the injuries mounted and the season got away from us. Winning in Sydney was a definite highlight, with the close losses to the Saints and Lions bitter pills to Swallow.

The 4 wins came against a Top 8 side, 9th, 15th and 18th, but we also lost the return games against the latter 3 which we should have won. Add games against Freo (Home game sold for $$), Bulldogs and the shocker against the Saints and we could easily have had 10 wins. So, where might the other 3 wins have come from to put us in the Finals? First of all, had we played Port at Metricon in July or August instead of China who knows? A 4 quarter showing against Collingwood would have yielded a closer result, while we might have expected a result from any of the Hawks, Weagles or Cats games given we beat them all last year.

So, where did it all go wrong? Simply put, our best 22 would beat half the sides in the comp, but once the injuries piled up, both serious and niggles, our B team wasn't up to the challenge most weeks. Lynch, Day and Wright weren't able to reproduce their late 2016 combination that had brought bags of goals for each of them, while injuries to small forwards MacPherson, Martin and Lemmens meant that there was often a 2nd string forward line without any of the 1st choice starters. The backline looked to be becoming a strong unit, with a fit Thompson and Hanley complimenting Harbrow, May and Joyce, while Weller and Rischitelli kept things together in the first couple of games, but there would be a succession of different combinations tried as injuries piled up. Both ends of the ground are sensational when in form and at full strength, so we can only wonder what might have gone differently.

The midfield is the crucial place where the side was let down time and again, although not through lack of talent nor endeavour. Witts is not elite, yet. The team is gradually improving in areas like stoppages and linking up across the ground by hand, yet still losing really important stats like contested marks, kicking efficiency and turnovers kills us every time. Having a deeper midfield rotation of bigger bodies and proper forward line will mean the Suns can compete with anyone, but that isn't going to happen without good list management and injury luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back