Teams Seattle Seahawks - The 12th Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Seahawks reportedly “not budging” on latest contract offer to Jamal Adams

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2021, 12:38 PM EDT

The Seahawks are trying to draw a line in the sand through the tide that’s crashing into their shins.

A year after sending a pair of first-round picks to the Jets for safety Jamal Adams without signing Adams to a new contract, the Seahawks have made a final offer to Adams, and they’re reportedly “not budging.”

Per the Seattle Times, the team made its final offer last Friday. Four-year extension worth $17.5 million per year, with $38 million guaranteed. Adams wants $40 million guaranteed. The two sides also differ on cash flow, with the Seahawks wanting to spread bonus money over four years and Adams wanting it to be spread over three.

Adams is due to make $9.86 million this year under the fifth-year option of his top-10 rookie deal. The franchise tag for safeties is projected to be $13.5 million in 2022. That becomes a franchise tag in 2023 of $16.26 million.

Thus, the Seahawks can keep Adams for the next three years at a total payout, one year at a time, of $39.67 million, an average of $13.2 million per year.

Of course, this presumes Adams will show up and play. For 2022, he’s holding in — and the team is allowing it. Next year, he’d be able to sign his franchise tender just before Week One and make it all. In 2023, he could sit out the entire year and, as a practical matter, force his way to free agency in 2024, given the rules of the tag.

More immediately, the impasse sets the stage for a potentially awkward mess between the Seahawks and a player with a well-established history of speaking his mind when unhappy. What’s the endgame for Seattle? Telling him enough is enough and it’s time to start practicing and playing? Good luck with that.

By not signing Adams to a new contract last year, the Seahawks planted the seeds for the current drama. With such a relatively small amount currently separating the two sides, the best play for Seattle would be to give him what he wants. Any other approach risks Adams beginning to view the Seahawks the way he previously viewed the Jets.

Seahawks TE Colby Parkinson will miss significant time after breaking his foot.
Talked up in June by Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, the 6'7" Parkinson looks likely to miss the rest of August and perhaps some of the regular season. The Seattle Times' Adam Jude said Parkinson had been one of Russell Wilson's favorite middle-of-the-field targets during camp. He was well behind Gerald Everett and Will Dissly on the team's depth chart. Parkinson, 22, is nothing more than a stash in deep dynasty formats.
SOURCE: Adam Jude on Twitter
Aug 13, 2021, 4:22 PM ET

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports contract-year Seahawks S Jamal Adams would file a grievance arguing he is a linebacker if he is franchise tagged as a safety next spring.
The difference in salary would be nearly $4 million were Adams tagged as a safety and not a 'backer. Adams lined up all over the field in 2020, including 390 snaps at linebacker by Pro Football Focus' count. This could get messy, as the sides have appeared nowhere close to a long-term agreement this summer.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Aug 16, 2021, 11:05 AM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ie....mama adams said, boy wtf is wrong with you, you and we all came from poverty, and you bitchin about 40m not 38m, take the deal son and just go play football

Jamal Adams: I believe in myself; all I needed was somebody to believe in me

Posted by Charean Williams on August 17, 2021, 7:46 PM EDT

Jamal Adams held in until he got his new contract. He got his new contract signed Tuesday and practiced for the first time in training camp.

“Obviously, it was tough to come out here and continue to watch and not be involved like I wanted to,” Adams said Tuesday. “I understood the business, and we were working together the whole time. Don’t believe anything out there. Everything was good. There’s no relationship break. . . . We were all working together as a team, and we got it done.”

He accepted the Seahawks’ final offer, a five-year, $70 million contract with $38 million guaranteed.

“Man, it’s a block off my shoulders,” Adams said. “Just so excited to be a part of such a unique organization. Always been a fan. Still a fan. But it just makes it that much greater than I’m a part of the family now. I’m ready to go win some championships, man.”

Adams said his mother, who lives in Dallas, texted him after midnight CT. The Pro Bowl safety called her, and after she used his full name, Adams knew what he had to do.

“I wasn’t not going to take the contract,” Adams said. “Where I’m from, we’re definitely taking that, man. Mom called. She called twice, and when mom called, and she told me I needed to take the contract, it was a no-brainer. Mamma knows best.”

Adams said he would not have held out of the regular season and will be ready to take the field when the regular season starts despite missing the first few weeks of team drills.

He got what he wanted. Now, the Seahawks will see if he was worth the draft picks and the money they gave up to obtain him and to keep him.

“I believe in myself, and I believe in what I can do on the football field,” Adams said. “All I needed was somebody to believe in me. And those guys upstairs, they believed in me. And they took a chance and all I can do is just continue to produce and continue to work my tail off and win ball games, man.”

Seahawks activated WR D'Wayne Eskridge (toe) from the active/PUP list.
Eskridge returned to practice today, foreshadowing his removal from the PUP list. He was sidelined throughout the summer, missing minicamp and the start of training camp because of the toe injury. Despite the late start, Eskridge will still get a chance to earn the WR3 role in Seattle. His biggest competition for the job is Freddie Swain, a sixth-round selection in 2020 who only totaled 13 receptions as a rookie. Pete Carroll has already said that he expects to get Eskridge reps in multiple preseason games. That should give the No. 56 overall pick plenty of opportunities to out-shine Swain prior to opening week.

Seahawks released DL Robert Nkemdiche.
Coach Pete Carroll talked up Nkemdiche in June, but that predictably fizzled. The former first-rounder has played just two games since the end of the 2018 season. The Seahawks also released/waived CB Damarious Randall, OG Jordan Simmons, DT Myles Adams, TE Ian Bunting, OT Tommy Champion, S Aashari Crosswell, LB Aaron Donkor, OG Greg Eiland, WR Aaron Fuller, WR Penny Hart, CB Gavin Heslop, DT Jarrod Hewitt, G Jared Hocker, WR Cade Johnson, RB Josh Johnson, OG Pier-Olivier Lestage, C Brad Lundblade, TE Tyler Mabry, S Joshua Moon, CB John Reid, LB Jon Rhattigan, WR Darece Roberson Jr., CB Will Sunderland, TE Cam Sutton, WR Cody Thompson, WR Travis Toivonen, WR Connor Wedington and LB Lakiem Williams.
RELATED:
Aug 31, 2021, 6:24 PM ET

Seahawks sign QB Jake Luton
The former Oregon State quarterback heads back to the Pacific Northwest after one season and three starts helping the Jaguars to the No. 1 overall pick. Luton will be the third quarterback on the roster after Russell Wilson and Geno Smith if he sticks. The Seahawks released quarterback Sean Mannion in a corresponding move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back