Senior Sebastian Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Seb Ross

After a difficult start to 2015 with a 10 week hamstring injury, Seb never really got going until the last 5 weeks of the season where he averaged 21 touches and 5 tackles per game. All he needed was a full pre-seaon and many were predicting Seb to finally announce himself as the player we'd seen glimpses of in his first 4 years at the club. And announce himself he did!

Stats:
Disposals: 26.4
Marks: 4.3
Tackles: 4.4
SC: 92.4

Seb started the year with a bang notching up 30 touches (a career high at that point) in the first game of the season and he hardly looked back. Playing every game this year he would top 30 touches in 8 games and had only 4 games below 24 touches showing his consistency. In fact Seb's rise was one of the most prolific in the competition:

saints.com.au said:
Ross, 23, is averaging 26.7 possessions from 16 games in 2016, acquiring the same amount of leather as Jordan Lewis, Jack Viney and Bryce Gibbs to be ranked 30th in the AFL for average possessions.

Of the crop who have won more ball than Ross this season, none have made a more dramatic rise in terms of possessions, with his rise of 8.5 more per game than his previous best average eclipsing Lachie Hunter (+7.9) and Zach Merrett (+6.4).

Ross quickly became known for his gracefulness and composure with the ball, teamed up with a lethal left foot he rarely wasted a possession, with the following highlights reel showing some of his best (Thanks to 12Chill!). Another player which goes to show that pace isn't everything when you can make the game slow down around you!

Seb's year ultimately culminated in the Ian Stewart Medal for BOG against Richmond, 10 Brownlow votes and a nomination for the AFLPA MVP alongside club champions Jack Steven and Nick Riewoldt.

Similar to David Armitage the next question is whether Seb can match his 2016 and follow it up with an equally good or better 2017. With the improvement of others such as Hickey, Membrey and Weller and a developing midfield made up of Newnes, Dunstan, Billings, Acres, Steele and Armo and Steven as the experienced heads; another fantastic year from Seb will go a long way to seeing the Saints play finals in 2017.

441389_nl.jpg

St Kilda midfielder Seb Ross might be coming off a stunning breakout season following an injury-interrupted past, but he doesn’t feel comfortable just yet. Not with the recent midfield additions at the Saints.

The arrival of former Western Bulldogs and West Coast midfielder, Koby Stevens, and Greater Western Sydney rising star, Jack Steele, has increased the engine room depth and talent at St Kilda, raising the competition for midfield spots.

Having never previously played more than 13 senior games in a season, Ross didn’t miss a game in a stunning 2016 which culminated in a sixth-place finish in the Trevor Barker Award after averaging 26.5 disposals, 4.6 inside 50s and 4.4 tackles.

Despite entrenching himself inside Alan Richardson’s best midfield last year, and not missing a beat thus far this pre-season, the 23-year-old is preparing to play multiple roles in 2017 to ensure he builds on his career-best campaign.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-30/offseason-arrivals-raising-competition-for-spots-says-ross

Had a bloody good game on Sam Mitchell on the weekend and a big reason we were so competitive for so long. Richo heaped praise on him in his presser. Good to see him rebound after a lacklustre round one. Onwards and upwards young man!

Just another cheeky 36 touches on the weekend. Was back to his best of 2016 form, a couple moments where he just stood out from everyone else with his composure.
Yep, doing very well playing on ball the past few weeks. Brownlow votes last week? I think so. Has good composure around the stoppages and his surprisingly good kicking was on display.

Just another cheeky 36 touches on the weekend. Was back to his best of 2016 form, a couple moments where he just stood out from everyone else with his composure.

The moment that did it for me was when we gor a free in the 2nd (I think) and it ended up in his hands and he looked up and in a split second saw the option of a short kick into the 50 took the advantage and thread the needle. It was elite play in my eyes.

I think it was Gresh missed the shot though. :)

Clearly our second best mid now, would be killing it in our BnF. He's a solid A grade mid now.

If he stays in this form he'll win the B and F in a walk. He's taken his game to the elite level , going head to head against the best and doing well.

Sent via HAL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Press conference: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-05-09/slow-build-gathering-speed

“I played all 22 games last year and was able to perform reasonably strongly. Off the back of that, coming into this pre-season I had really great belief in myself and what I could do.”

“I think 2015 I had a really strong pre-season but was struck down with that hamstring injury so I was out for 10 weeks there and that sort of put me back a little bit.

“2016 I sort of had to perform; I’d been hanging around for five years without really doing too much. I soaked up that pressure if you will and took it on.”

Ross attributed St Kilda’s improved midfield depth for his strong season to date, indicating that the arrival of Koby Stevens and Jack Steele has allowed him to become more aggressive on the outside, with those two shouldering some of the load at the coal face.

“Most teams have pretty elite midfields so it probably just helps having guys like Stevens and Steele come in,” Ross said after collecting nine coaches votes for his performance against the Giants.

“The opposition tends to put a fair bit of work into Jack Steven each week. So having those guys around the ball, the opposition can’t take care of everyone.”

http://footyprophet.com/eyecatchers-seb-ross/

Eyecatchers: Seb Ross

Seb Ross has averaged 30 disposals this year and sits in the top 20 for clearances, uncontested possessions, inside 50s, handballs and total disposals.

Those numbers put him in All-Australian contention, but the majority of people would walk right passed him if they saw him in the street.

From a SC fantasy perspective, since rd2 has had a range of scores from within a small band of 94-129, which highlights his consistency along with a near 'elite'* average over that time - 109.1

Gun.

* as per SC gurus for midfielders

Seb Ross polls another 10 coaches votes and moves to outright 3rd place on the leaderboard, behind only Dangerfield and D. Martin. Well and truly an elite player of the competition, and if we continue to win enough games, a top 5 place in the Brownlow medal is achieveable. Bloody good on ya mate!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back