Senior Sebastian Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Rd 8 v West Coast

673258-1.jpg

Another influential game from Seb, finishing with 31 disposals (16k, 15h), 5 marks and 4 clearances. Once again he proved to be our avenue to score, with 5 inside 50s and 9 score involvements. His kicking could be improved next weeks, with a few long bombs causing costly in big moments. Looking for him to respond to his disposal issues next week against Collingwood.

60273621_847868155565206_3433253456054321152_n.jpg

Rd9 v Collingwood
674756.jpg

A quieter game for Seb this week, finishing with only 22 disposals (13k, 9h), 2 clearances and 1 mark. His outside work was still noted with 7 score involvements and 3 inside 50s. After a week with no tackles, Seb rebounded with 4 for the game including 3 inside 50.
675301.jpg

Rd10 v Carlton

678992.jpg

A good game from Seb this week, finishing with 21 disposals (15k, 6h), 5 marks and 4 tackles. Sticking with the tend from the season, the majority of his disposals were uncontested with 16. While his kicking has been up and down this year, this week he showed some outstanding foot skills to hit some teammates free inside 50 and ending with 3 score involvements.

Rd11 v Port

682203.jpg

The clubs first venture into China was a complete debacle for the whole club, with the team being smashed by 70 points and Seb's stats reflecting this. He finished the game with 23 disposals (16k, 7h), 2 marks and 1 tackle. His inside work was more noticeable this week, with 8 clearances and 11 contested possessions. But it was the third week in a row without him taking a running bounce, so bringing back his impact on the outside is something he will need to bring back to his game. With Geary sustaining a likely season ended injury, Seb will remain as acting captain for the remainder of the year.

RD 13 v Gold Coast
685188.jpg 685052.jpg
A god win in Townsville against Gold Coast saw Ross have his best game in weeks. He finished with 31 disposals (14k, 17h), 4 marks and 3 tackles. With Jack Steele injuring himself at training on Thursday, Seb stepped up in the middle getting 10 clearances including 8 centre clearances. He also got in done on the outside with 4 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s, 5 score involvements and 450 meters gained.

RD14 v Brisbane

In a tough day for the club, Seb finished with 30 disposals (17k, 13h), 4 tackles and 5 marks. He had a team high 7 clearances while also contributing on the outside with 3 score involvements and 3 inside 50s.

RD15 v Richmond

In the clubs annual marquee fixture, Seb rebounded with a strong performance in Maddie's Match. He ended the game with 27 disposals (19 kicks, 8 handballs), 7 marks and 3 tackles. With the return on Steele to the team, Seb's time on the inside was down finishing with 4 clearances and 8 contested possessions. This allowed I'm to shine on the outside, with 6 score involvements and 320 meters gained. While we lost the game due to a poor last quarter, Seb was rewarded with 2 coaches votes for his strong performance.

I know some posters dont like his disposal at times but i think he had another great year . Will possibly finish top 4 in Trevor Barker award . Led from the front and tried his heart out . Yes he makes mistakes but not every footballer is as skilled as Cripps or Martin . He gives 100% every week which is all you can ask for .

Ross takes home second Trevor Barker Award
saints.com.au
Sep 11, 2019 11:28PM

sebrosswebhero.jpg

Related
Sebastian Ross has won his second Trevor Barker Award, narrowly beating a multitude of Saints youngsters for the honour.

Seb Ross
Career
Games: 124
Goals:
Games: 22
Goals:

685032_gl.jpg

When Jarryn Geary went down through injury, Seb Ross was thrown into the deep end and forced to assume the captaincy.
But the stand-in skipper refused to let the additional pressure hinder his output, with Ross leading his side by example.
The consistent mid averaged 26 disposals, four clearances and six score involvements per game, while topping the Saints for total disposals, inside-50s, effective disposals, metres gained and score involvements
A second Trevor Barker Award, a team-high 12 Brownlow votes and an emergence into a premier leader headlined his 2019.
Who knows what’s in store for Season 2020.
BEST GAME:
With Geary a late withdrawal against the Hawks in Round 4, Ross skippered his side in the perfect display, collecting 39 disposals, six clearances, a goal and the Silk-Miller Memorial Medal for his efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going into 2020 season, Seb is argueably our best player, and in line for the captaincy. Was our leading vote winner in the 2019 Brownlow. I am expecting big things from Seb in 2020.

Almost forgot to update Seb’s performance in round one win over GWS .
Surely he got three brownlow votes just because he managed to kick 2 goals which must be close to a personal best for Seb .
Seriously he is on his way to a high Trevor Barker award finish already . Who would have thought the Seb would be the player to finally break my curse .
He had 19 totally brilliant disposals and it was a joy to behold his play . Possible Brownlow medallist this year ? I tipped this .

Seb had a another good game with 28 disposals including 11 contested . He certainly has started the season well . Last season he did a fair bit of tagging in order to release Steele from that role . It seems Ratts isn’t keen of tagging and is backing our mids to win more of the ball . The only draw back is without Ryder and Marshall we got killed in the ruck by Gawn who was a class above Hunter and McKernan. But it is good to see Seb back himself to run off opponents on a number of occasions.

Two games in and no sign of injuries for Seb , could it be my curse is done and dusted 👍🤞

Is doing a lot to impress even his doubters . Seems a lot more attacking than the previous few years . Has also been prepared to do jobs both in the backline and up forward . His stats might not be as high as previous years but I would argue he is in career best form .

Had a much quieter game against the Tigers as did most of his teammates .
However excitement is brewing because if he can play the next three games consecutively he will be my first player in five years to play 8 straight games . Can he break my curse finally?

The fans have spoken, and as voted by you, Seb Ross is this week’s Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.

Despite a disappointing night in Adelaide, Ross fought through Power’s classy attack, leading the stats with 31 disposals (13 contested) at over 70 per cent efficiency.

Ross started the game strong, collecting 11 disposals, three clearances and three inside-50s in the first quarter to keep his side in the contest despite the Saints’ lack of scoreboard pressure.

The on-baller was critical in the centre, ending his night with six clearances, a game-high eight tackles and 10 marks.

Also Seb just has to survive the Hawks game and if he plays the game after that it will be 8 in a row and a new record for me . Its taken 5 seasons for me to get to this stage .

Seb Ross says that the Saints must take responsibility for the way they’ve been performing and work quickly to find a cohesive way forward.

With the 2021 season creating a new set of expectations and pressures for the club, Ross says that the playing group are searching to cement their on-field connection.

“We’re not where we want to be, but we’ve got to find a way,” Ross told media on Tuesday.

“Last year gave this group great confidence in where we can go (this year), but it’s a new season and the game’s changed.

“We’ve gone away from how we played last year, particularly with the footy and that dare.

“This group’s changed a lot in the last two or three years, and we’ve probably only played 25-30 games together, that sort of stuff takes time, but we’ve got to do it really quickly.”

“That (cohesion) will come, but at the same time we’ve got a game plan in place, everyone understands the game plan, and we’ve got to deliver it.”
- Seb Ross
With co-captain Jarryn Geary sidelined due to injury, younger leaders including fellow backmen Callum Wilkie and Dougal Howard have had to step up in his absence.

Ross said that the leadership group, including himself, will have to pave the way moving forward and set the standards for the team.

“We’re a new leadership group this year. Gears isn’t out there at the moment. He’s the real organiser of the group and the General down back that sets us up.

“Cal Wilkie, Dougal Howard and even Steeley - they’re all still finding their way, their version of leading and finding their voice.

“That’ll come and those guys are working really hard.”

Ross said that spirits remain high amongst the playing group, despite a disappointing start to the season.

“We’re obviously really frustrated with the way we’re going, as I imagine a lot of our fans and supporters are, but in no certain terms is this place a crappy place to be at the moment.”

‘We love being back at Moorabbin, in terms of our spirit of place here, the players are coming to work each day, turning up and enjoying their time here.”

“Everyone’s loving being here.”
https://www.saints.com.au/news/9217...nfidence-back-ratten-on-finding-a-way-forward
St Kilda is set for a boost to the senior side to face Hawthorn this week, with ruckman Paddy Ryder putting his hand up for selection.

“Paddy’s enormous for us. He’s someone we’ve really missed in the first part of our year.

“We all know about his ruck work but it’s his stuff around the ground. He’s a really tough competitive unit and he gives us so much drive around stoppages once the ball hits the ground with his tackling pressure and follow up.”

Seb played one of his best games of the year . He seems to have fitted in well with the other mids plus he has being playing in other positions which seems to have freed him up this year . Now he only has to get through training to play in my record breaking match next week against Gold Coast . 8 senior games in a row and it’s only taken 5 seasons to get there .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back