Player Advocate 2015: Armitage2Riewoldt
Player Advocate 2016: Phoenix_9
Player Advocate 2017: Phoenix_9

SEB ROSS

ROSS%20Sebastian.png

Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Medium midfielder
Cousin of Jobe Watson shows similar traits in leadership and winning contested ball. Noted goalkicker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: ROSS, Sebastion

http://www.therebels.com.au/Player-Profiles/4-sebastian-ross.html

Nickname: Bastie
Worst habit: Chewing nails
Describe yourself in one word: Happy

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/126470/default.aspx

Bains "A hard-bodied midfielder and a really quality kid. His approach to his football and willingness to improve and keep getting better coupled with his character made him a great pick for us."
How is he looking. Is a NAB cup debut likely?

Re: ROSS, Sebastion

He's been looking pretty good when ive seen him. Will def play NAB Cup. Will probably push for selection Round 1.

SEBASTIAN ROSS
VFL Senior Games: 17
VFL Senior Goals: 3
VFL Senior Averages: 17.7 disposals, 2.65 marks and 3.07 tackles

AFL Games: 1
AFL Goals: 0
AFL Averages: 8 disposals and 4 tackles

2012 Player Rating: 7/10
Sebastian Ross was St Kilda’s first pick in 2011 National Draft and in his first season at club showed signs of his potential. Despite spending the season playing in VFL, which I believe benefited his development; Seb was one of Saints listed players best performers for Sandringham and he was able to break into Saints team in Round 22 on back of some outstanding VFL performances throughout year.

Ross was used in various roles during the year, at times he was used as genuine midfielder and other times was used in run with role on oppositions most dangerous midfielders. His average of 17.7 disposals doesn’t quite tell entire story due to range of roles he played as he managed to collect over 20 disposals on 7 occasions.

Seb has great composure with ball in hand and has an elite kick on him. He also has great ability to find space and when he swings onto his left foot you can back him to hit target 99% of time. Saints coach Scott Watters likened him to Scott Pendlebury but I think he is clone of Nick Dal Santo, either way if he is half as good as either of those guys then he is going to be star.

Saints fans should get excited with what Seb Ross has to offer and with another preseason under his belt I expect Ross to feature heavily 2013.

Another youngster who put in a career best game for us Round 7, 2013 - Seb Ross with 21 touches in his fifth game.

MODESTY prevented him from saying so, but Monday night’s win was Seb Ross’ best game in St Kilda colours.

In the fifth match of his promising career, Ross gathered 21 possessions and laid six tackles to be a significant contributor to his team’s second win of the season.

The game was yet another step in Ross’ gradual improvement.

“I think over the past couple of weeks I’ve been building. I’ve been trying to play my role for the team and if I continue to play my role other things will come,” Ross said.

“I had to work on the defensive side of the game – my tackling pressure. I think I got that right this week.”

Read more: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-05-14/ross-on-the-up

Last edited:
http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/1524686/seb-ross-stars-at-st-kilda/?cs=226

After five consecutive games Horsham-bred youngster Seb Ross feels like he finally belongs.

“The trip to New Zealand was something I’ll always remember – being a part of the first home-and-away match overseas."

(in relation to his 21 possessions and 6 tackles against Carlton) "Possession-wise it was probably the best game I’ve played but I was most pleased with my tackling pressure.”

“The focus each week is to play my role for the team and hopefully try to keep my spot for as long as I can.

He said Montagna had been a great role model to the younger players at the club.

“We’re a pretty tight-knit group in the midfield but Joey has been massive this year.”

“You can see the way he’s been leading on the ground and it’s exactly the same off the ground."

“He’s played a pretty big role in how the boys have gone about it this season.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-31/ross-enjoys-pendlebury-comparison

Seb Ross drew comparisons to Scott Pendlebury when he was drafted, and the link is becoming clearer.

His poise in traffic has been a feature. Montagna "He's always got that bit of time and space as a midfielder … he's got a lot of class about him".

Like Pendlebury, Ross had a promising junior basketball career "I thought it'd be harder to break into basketball ... I just thought there's more opportunity in footy so I went down that path."

(As) an inside midfielder ... he has closely watched Pendlebury.

"Most of the players who have basketball backgrounds, they're good in tight space with their handballs."

Ross isn't short for mentors with Hayes, Dal Santo and Montagna all valuable teachers (and) he has also received help from his cousin Jobe Watson.

Ross said it was his young teammates, however, who helped calm the nerves on game day.

"Once you see a Jimmy Webster or a Jack Newnes running along beside you it just makes you feel a lot more confident out there and not as daunted."

"In my draft there was 11 or 12 new boys ... and that's a fair percentage of the overall list. We're all pretty tight."

A large part of Ross's role this year has been his defensive pressure, and he said his coaches weren't worried if he had a low-possession game as long as he was tackling.

SEB Ross has played in St Kilda’s last eight games. The young midfielder debuted in the penultimate round of 2012, before spending the first three weeks of this season in the VFL, eventually earning a promotion four the Saints round four clash against Essendon.

At the halfway point of the year, the 20-year-old has a week to take stock and reflect on what has been a break-out two months of senior football.

“I bet the boys will be feeling pretty sore,” Ross told SAINTS.com.au on Sunday evening.

“There was plenty of knocks and it was a pretty contested sort of game with plenty of tackles laid.”

This fierce style of play suits Ross given his willingness to put his head over the ball in the clinches.

Read more: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-06-11/ross-on-the-rise

Last edited:
#6 - Sebsatian Ross

DOB: 07/05/1993
Height: 187cm
Weight: 86kg
2013 Games: 13
Career Games: 14

1_N01StSy12MW%202422.jpg

Ross came into the 2013 season with a small taste of senior AFL football, playing his first and only match against the GWS Giants in Round 23, 2012. Playing as sub he came on and racked up 8 touches - but more to the delight of his fans was his 4 tackles and 100% contested possession rate. While not having huge expectations placed on him, the 187cm midfielder would have been confident of at least donning the Saints jumper a few times in 2013.

After an indifferent start [citation needed] to 2013, Seb was rewarded with a senior spot as sub in the Round 4 match against Essendon. In a game which was never going to feature a St Kilda win, Seb managed only the 6 touches. However with season 2013 essentially over for the Saints already he was allowed time to settle and would play 9 of the next 10 games.

Season 2013 stats:
Kicks: 6.5
Handballs: 10.0
Disposals: 16.5
Tackles 3.6
*Not including two games as sub

Seb played the next 5 games in fine form. Including his career best performances against Carlton and the Dogs with 21 and 22 touches respectively. He, along with Jack Newnes, Nathan Wright and later in the year Tom Curren helped Saints fans make it through a tough year in which these boys sung the song only twice until the last two games against Gold Coast and Fremantle.

Seb definitely at times ran out of steam throughout the year and it was evident to see in the games which he started as sub or was subbed off and then returned to the Sandy side. What was great to see was the endeavour in which he pushed to get back into the side, in between Round 15 and 20 he was regularly in the best for Sandy and clearly a level above with his class and precision kicking. He'll need to learn to improve his consistency - from having a good first half to being near unsighted in the second. But this will come with fitness and continued learning of the game.

Ross has all the tools to build a fantastic career for the Saints, and no doubt will be given all the time he needs to put it together in the next couple years. A tall, inside midfielder with a lovely left foot and composure that few players have will more than make up for his lack of speed.

Seb re-signed earlier in the year along with Jack Newnes, Jimmy Webster and Dylan Roberton. And I believe it will be this group which will step up to lead us in the next few years.

A solid year for Seb, I'll give him a 6/10. With his aims for 2014 to push out a 15-22 game season and locking himself in the midfield rotation.

301285_gl.jpg

needs to step up and battle for longer, doesnt look 180cm to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young Saint Seb Ross aims to fill Lenny-sized hole

PUSHING up into a leadership role and filling the breach left by the retired Lenny Hayes is on young St Kilda midfielder Seb Ross' agenda for 2015.

"It is something I'm interested in, [being in the leadership group]," Ross told AFL.com.au.

"It would be something I would really need to work on.

"I'm not one to really get up in front of the group and make a big speech but I think I try and show leadership with my actions and how hard I work but it's definitely something I want to aspire to."

Shortly before the Saints broke for the festive season, coach Alan Richardson challenged the likes of Ross, Jack Newnes and Tom Curren to be the difference in the team's performance next season

All are performing well this pre-season and have been recording solid results in the time trials and at the pre-season camps.

He said he knew it was up to him and his contemporaries to ensure Hayes' absence didn't hinder the team come round one.

"I did enjoy it, [being on the inside]. I guess the pre-season is a good opportunity to keep building on the base that I had last year, especially with Lenny leaving that gap in the midfield," he said.

"It gives blokes like myself and Luke Dunstan and Mav [Weller] more opportunity as well as we need to step up to fulfil Lenny's role.

"The onus is on us a bit to really have a good pre-season and come out firing because Lenny has left a pretty big hole.

"It gives us motivation to fill it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-10/no-lenny-no-worries

After playing 13 games in his third season and developing his inside game, Ross now wants to step up and take on more ownership of the on-field side of things

"It is something I'm interested in, [being in the leadership group]," Ross told AFL.com.au.

"It would be something I would really need to work on.

"I'm not one to really get up in front of the group and make a big speech but I think I try and show leadership with my actions and how hard I work but it's definitely something I want to aspire to."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-10/no-lenny-no-worries

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Ross:

His numbers in the AFL we almost identical to his 203 season.

He played 8 matches for Sandy and averaged 27 disposals and 129 CD ranking points per game. His ranking points average in the VFL was the 2nd highest of any non-ruckman to play at least four matches.

He ranked 11th in the VFL for contested possession per game, 5th for i50s and equal 4th for goal assists.

Seb to step up to fill Lenny's void

ST KILDA will hand youngsters Seb Ross and Luke Dunstan more prominent midfield roles this season as the club prepares for life without departed champion Lenny Hayes.

Hayes, who retired last year after 297 games, was the Saints' leading midfielder in 2014, finishing second in the best and fairest and ranking No.1 at the club for clearances, contested possessions and tackles.

While senior midfielders David Armitage and Jack Steven will be expected to do the heavy lifting this year, the Saints are also backing Dunstan to build on his outstanding debut season and play a key role.

Richardson singled out Ross, who played 13 senior games last year, as a player who could graduate from a fringe role and cement himself in 2015.

"With Lenny moving on, Seb will get much more opportunity where he's at his best and that is on the inside," Richardson told AFL.com.au.

Read more: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-12/ross-tipped-fill-lennys-void

Intra Club Match Report

Seb Ross performed well in the clubs first real hit out of season 2015 - the intra club match. Playing for the team that looked more like 'possibles' than 'probables' he spent most of the day in the middle and at the bottom of packs. Despite facing a midfield full of grunt with the likes of Armo, Dunstan, Weller and Joey; Seb played well enough to be mentioned in the bests,

BEST: Fisher, Newnes, Ross, Webster, Lee, Templeton, White, Geary, Armitage

and also be brought up by the coach later on in his Q&A session as one of the better performers

Q. Who played well? Who exceeded expectations?

AR. Newnes, Ross, Webster, Shenton, Geary and Fisher were the standouts.

vgnGLyk.jpg

Seb receiving some one-on-one coaching from Richo during one of the breaks. Thanks to goodie23 for the photo

After a fantastic start to the 2nd NAB Cup match with 14 possessions in just 45% game time including 4 clearances (3rd most) and 4 tackles (equal most). Seb also did well to catch his opponent off guard and take a mark inside 50, before slotting it through confidently - one aspect of his game which we had rarely seen before.

Seb's game was receiving a lot of commendation from the BF crew with just a few comments below:

ARR said:
Ross: Such a shame that he got injured as he was just going so well. 14 disposals (at 86%), with 4 clearances, 4 tackles, 6 marks and a goal, from just 45% game time (in a shortened match) was terrific going. Hope his leg is OK (looked like he had ice on his hammy- and reasonably high up- not his thigh, as some are suggesting?).

joop said:
Ross and Steven the standouts

Confuscious said:
Ross looks so much more composed this season. Should see him locked into the 22 if he's playing like he has so far

Unfortuantely for Ross he pinged his hammy barely halfway through the game and sadly it's a serious/high strain which is expected to keep him sidelined for 10-12 weeks. The good news is that he won't require surgery and with any luck (does such a thing exist at St Kilda right now?) should be back into full training by Round 6-8 and pushing to get his spot back by the midway point of the year.

Disappointed that I won't be able to provide match reports for Seb for a while to come but I will continue to post any updates we get on his recovery. :)

St Kilda midfielder Seb Ross is set to miss 10-12 weeks after sustaining a hamstring tear in Saturday’s NAB Challenge win over Essendon at Morwell.

Scans on Sunday morning revealed a high grade injury to Ross’ left hamstring that will result in him missing the first part of the season.

He is not expected to require surgery.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-03-08/ross-to-miss-early-part-of-season

Last edited:
Paperwork was lodged on Wednesday for Arryn Siposs (shoulder) and Seb Ross (hamstring), while paperwork for Daniel Markworth (shoulder) will be submitted on Thursday.

Siposs will recover for up to three months after re-injuring his shoulder in December while Ross is expected to be sidelined for between nine and 11 weeks.

More: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-03-25/three-spots-available-for-rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back