Recommitted Sebastian Ross [re-signed for 2 more years]

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
It's pretty amazing that St Kilda did what they did this season, with former All-Australians (22 and squad) and club B&F winners like Ross, Brad Hill, Dan Hannebury, and Dylan Roberton either spudding it up or not playing, and getting next to nothing out of other listed veterans like Nathan Brown, Shane Savage, Ryan Abbott, Luke Dunstan, and Jimmy Webster too.

A lot of room for improvement and positive change going forward for the Saints.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's pretty amazing that St Kilda did what they did this season, with former All-Australians (22 and squad) and club B&F winners like Ross, Brad Hill, Dan Hannebury, and Dylan Roberton either spudding it up or not playing, and getting next to nothing out of other listed veterans like Nathan Brown, Shane Savage, Ryan Abbott, Luke Dunstan, and Jimmy Webster too.

A lot of room for improvement and positive change going forward for the Saints.
Yeah imagine if someone told you going into the season that quite possibly none of our top 6 paid for the year (Hill, Hannebery, Billings, Gresham, Ross and Roberton) would finish top 9 in our B&F. You'd think we'd have finished bottom 4 for sure!

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah imagine if someone told you going into the season that quite possibly none of our top 6 paid for the year (Hill, Hannebery, Billings, Gresham, Ross and Roberton) would finish top 9 in our B&F. You'd think we'd have finished bottom 4 for sure!

We cleared the decks this year but I reckon a bit more to also come next year with Dunstan, Roberton and Webster in the gun.

Been a ruthless post-Richo clean out.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think they’ll happily let him go - he’s been replaced be Crouch

He’s not that good though as he’s slow and his kicking is average
He's not super-quick off the mark, but he's got some genuine speed once he gets going.

We used to think he was slow too in his first 2-3 years, but then all of a sudden he started to show an ability to really get moving once he got some momentum up and now he can break lines with his run and get away from slower blokes.

He’s the sort of player a club needs to move past as a best 22 option if they are to go anywhere. Good honest clubman and toiler but that’s it.

He wouldn’t add anything to a team who has a good midfield and is looking to contend, but would be a great leader/protection for a young midfield

RobbieMuir

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s the sort of player a club needs to move past as a best 22 option if they are to go anywhere. Good honest clubman and toiler but that’s it.

He wouldn’t add anything to a team who has a good midfield and is looking to contend, but would be a great leader/protection for a young midfield

He did struggle at times this year but stepped up when it mattered and was BOG for the Saints in the semi-final (which happened to be the biggest game the club has played in for ten years). So I think he is certainly more than just a ‘toiler’.

His best season was 2017 when he finished top ten in the AFL coaches votes and got 14 votes in the Brownlow (and won the BnF). If he could get close to that sort of form next year then the club would surely re-sign him.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting to hear king and Dixon say that inside mids with no tricks (Ross, crouch x2, lyons) will lose value over the next 12 months if the AFL don't change the rules again.

Faster movement and less stoppages will have teams spending more on Shai Bolton types who are fast or mids who are dangerous in the forward line

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was very good in the first two weeks, not so good this weekend.

Is not an “inside mid with no tricks”, as he’s been playing a lot more on the wing, half back, or even forward in recent times, and is much quicker than those other types mentioned.

Has also played a lot of his very best footy in run-with type roles.

For instance he kept Neale to zero clearances (for the first time in several years) when he went with him last year, and then kept Bont in check in our final win over them.

When he was in career best form a few years ago he went head-to-head with both Dusty and Danger and got the 10 coaches votes against each of them.

Will presumably have a more prominent midfield role again now that Gresham is out for the year.

GeTrain

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Happy to see him walk, will get us back a draft pick due to compo (we need to get back into the 2nd round) and frees up a bit of salary.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Happy to see him walk, will get us back a draft pick due to compo (we need to get back into the 2nd round) and frees up a bit of salary.
You seriously think he is going to get a contract worth a 2nd round compo pick at the age of 28

he would be lucky to be on a list as a rookie.

think Mason Wood like ending

GeTrain

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
You seriously think he is going to get a contract worth a 2nd round compo pick at the age of 28

he would be lucky to be on a list as a rookie.

think Mason Wood like ending
Can see him getting a deal that gives us an end of 2nd/3rd round pick.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Can see him getting a deal that gives us an end of 2nd/3rd round pick.
Where ? I honestly cannot see a team that would take him that gets a compo pick

He will be lucky to get on a list paying 2 x $300k which doesnt give you a compo pick

St Kilda probably need him more than any other team

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Where ? I honestly cannot see a team that would take him that gets a compo pick

He will be lucky to get on a list paying 2 x $300k which doesnt give you a compo pick

St Kilda probably need him more than any other team

North, Essendon and Carlton would all likely offer at least 400k. Reckon North would go much higher seeing as outside of Cunnington they don’t have any decent mature bodied mids. Cunnington’s body also looks to be starting to break down.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
North, Essendon and Carlton would all likely offer at least 400k. Reckon North would go much higher seeing as outside of Cunnington they don’t have any decent mature bodied mids. Cunnington’s body also looks to be starting to break down.
No Chance
North already have their mids and would have no use for him
Carlton i would doubt that with their younger mids looking for inside mid time also
Bombers are looking or quality mids like Dunkley

If any team does take him its as a delisted free agent on low money no where near $400k

Back