Second club locked in for proposed China game, says Gillon McLachlan

Remove this Banner Ad

woopedazz

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-...for-proposed-china-game-says-gillon-mclachlan

I'm not sure about this move. China doesn't seem the most fertile soil to expand into... It can be assumed that a club doing poorly has sold a home game for cash, but I can't really see this benefiting anyone except Port. Not sure what the AFL hopes to gain from this. Perhaps angling for a YOLO sponsorship deal from a Chinese company wanting to seem different?

China has over 1 billion people living in it. If 1% of those people develop any interest in the sport, that's 10 million people. Through pure size of the population, China could be a very fertile development ground for the game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-...for-proposed-china-game-says-gillon-mclachlan

I'm not sure about this move. China doesn't seem the most fertile soil to expand into... It can be assumed that a club doing poorly has sold a home game for cash, but I can't really see this benefiting anyone except Port. Not sure what the AFL hopes to gain from this. Perhaps angling for a YOLO sponsorship deal from a Chinese company wanting to seem different?
Hawthorn, North, Melbourne, Bulldogs, St. Kilda all say hi! Port have travelled to the NT every year as th away team for a good few years now too.

The TV audience for the Essendon game DOUBLED the normal audience. You do realise sponsors like exposure don't you?

The team Port will be playing will have a massive amount of exposure in a sponsor rich country as well as financial incentives from the league.

I bet you also clam that clubs like Port and St. Kilda don't do enough and are spongers too.

Only inward looking, slow moving clubs would not see the potential.

So another team has sold one of their home games, but Port are going to take any profit from the game as if it was their home game? (I assume they would take the burden of a loss too?)

It's a bit rich that Port want to treat China like their home game but will refuse to give up one of their Adelaide Oval home matches

So another team has sold one of their home games, but Port are going to take any profit from the game as if it was their home game? (I assume they would take the burden of a loss too?)

It's a bit rich that Port want to treat China like their home game but will refuse to give up one of their Adelaide Oval home matches
Jealous much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What percentage of our migrants are Chinese? I think it's fair to expand there. If this is Australia's game, we should welcome and expand to all cultures, just like our society does.
Not sure on percentage, but I recently read somewhere that for the first time a non Anglo country (China) has our largest migrant numbers ahead of the UK or NZ.

Jealous much?

Jealousy is when you are concerned someone is going to take something of yours away

Seeing I have nothing to do with China, there is nothing of mine that can be taken away from me -

Envious is the word you are looking for, and no, I am not envious - I just think it stinks that Port are making another team 'sell' a home game for nothing

Hawthorn, North, Melbourne, Bulldogs, St. Kilda all say hi! Port have travelled to the NT every year as th away team for a good few years now too.

The TV audience for the Essendon game DOUBLED the normal audience. You do realise sponsors like exposure don't you?

The team Port will be playing will have a massive amount of exposure in a sponsor rich country as well as financial incentives from the league.

I bet you also clam that clubs like Port and St. Kilda don't do enough and are spongers too.

Only inward looking, slow moving clubs would not see the potential.
Lol. Calm down. It's a boon for Port.

I'm saying the other team may as well sell their home game to a theme park under the sea - they're in it for the instant cash incentive at the expense of their supporters back home. They gain nothing from this. The team Port will be playing is a team that will not receive further broadcasting in China under the current contract. Only Port games are going to be shown. The team Port play will likely not have any sponsors that are global and active in China. The team Port plays are giving up their home ground advantage to an interstate club - obviously a team on the rebuild and not in contention for finals.

Smart team, whichever one it is. Get out of having to go to Adelaide.

Edit, whoops looks like the mystery team sells a home game. What?
Exactly.

I reckon it's Melbourne.
Melbourne will get out of the NT and instead 'host' this game.

Plus Melbourne have a sponsorship wihth China Southen Airline.
Well then that makes more sense.

According to the article, Port are going to take the profits from the gate as if it was their home game
I don't necessary agree with that, but if the other club involved isn't financially compensated I will eat a dick.

The other 2 clubs in mind are St Kilda and Carlton.
Neither club is flying financially and neither sells any games interstate/overseas.

Makes sense that one of these 2 clubs would want the cash grab.

I'm sure there are clubs that wouldn't regularly make a profit in a home game against us, so why not move it to China?
the Venture is smart play. But if it was my club selling my home game, I would rather my team be the home team and get the credit for it. Why do Port Adelaide get that opportunity?

Jealousy is when you are concerned someone is going to take something of yours away

Seeing I have nothing to do with China, there is nothing of mine that can be taken away from me -

Envious is the word you are looking for, and no, I am not envious - I just think it stinks that Port are making another team 'sell' a home game for nothing
Oh that is so nice of you, I am sure GWS are suitably soothed by your concern and archaic use of language. A true altruist is what you are.

the Venture is smart play. But if it was my club selling my home game, I would rather my team be the home team and get the credit for it. Why do Port Adelaide get that opportunity?
Because they have spent the past 4 years developing this deal, it's not just been plonked on them and they didn't get it gifted, they went out and grabbed it. Port have sponsored the Chinese national team, set up leagues in China and have developed relationships all over the region. ANY other club could have done the same, but didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back