Second club locked in for proposed China game, says Gillon McLachlan

Remove this Banner Ad

While I have issues with it, teams play overseas for expansion reasons in other leagues, NFL play over in London, NBA are looking to play in China and MLB have played games in Sydney before. GC wasn't the first team and won't be the last team.

I can understand the reasoning behind it with the GC being a tourism destination as well as a major sponsor being a Chinese company. Hopefully the money we make is invested wisely so 5 years down the track we can pick and choose the ventures we make, and aren't reliant on AFL money.

While I have issues with it, teams play overseas for expansion reasons in other leagues, NFL play over in London, NBA are looking to play in China and MLB have played games in Sydney before. GC wasn't the first team and won't be the last team.

I can understand the reasoning behind it with the GC being a tourism destination as well as a major sponsor being a Chinese company. Hopefully the money we make is invested wisely so 5 years down the track we can pick and choose the ventures we make, and aren't reliant on AFL money.

I actually though teams would want more supporters and followers of the club, by selling hime games, seems an unusual way of getting more members and supporters . As I said if the suns want a cash grab please sell a game to Adelaide Oval Im sure between AO and the Crows we could pay $500k it would help Adelaide get more memers and supporters with us having the ability to see our team in Adelaide 13 times per year., personally I would love it!

I actually though teams would want more supporters and followers of the club, by selling hime games, seems an unusual way of getting more members and supporters . As I said if the suns want a cash grab please sell a game to Adelaide Oval Im sure between AO and the Crows we could pay $500k it would help Adelaide get more memers and supporters with us having the ability to see our team in Adelaide 13 times per year., personally I would love it!
Haha get back under your bridge.

If you were Melb, Colloingwood or GWS, you would dio it for sure, if it wasnt your home game. You get to play Port away from their home giving you a nuetral venue and you receive a lot more cash for it. Win /Win
If it was our away game then of course. Any club would.

But we were never giving up our own home game just so Port could boost their ego's.

They are very proud of themselves given that its not their game to give away.

If it was our away game then of course. Any club would.

But we were never giving up our own home game just so Port could boost their ego's.

They are very proud of themselves given that its not their game to give away.

Totally agree, you would think clubs that are trying to develop a supporter base and members are selling off home guys and taking away from their supporters an opportunity to see their team, flys in the face of their goal, more supporters and more following!

Very strange strategy if this happens, truly believe its the AFL leaning on the suns, because they can, as the Suns are a cash negative club and need the AFL's support!

Fkking disgrace. If Port want to drive this venture then let it be a home game or nothing.

Quite frankly GC is probably the worst club to go against in China. Yellow and red uniform and major tourist spot for those who visit here and if GC win why would the Chinese people be supporting Port Adelaide into the future? The few who watched the televised game would already think better of GWS. First impressions last.

I think this is a massive get for GCS. Sponsorships and Members will come. Port has done the heavy lifting and takes the risk, but many AFL clubs will eventually benefit.

Quite frankly GC is probably the worst club to go against in China. Yellow and red uniform and major tourist spot for those who visit here and if GC win why would the Chinese people be supporting Port Adelaide into the future? The few who watched the televised game would already think better of GWS. First impressions last.
Ouch, I think Adelaide hurting just a little.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the oppo clubs getting their knickers in a twist on here are getting concerned that this might actually work. :rolleyes: GCS are the luckiest club in the A F L, they will be viewed next year by the largest international audience ever, after Port doing the heavy lifting. They will be able to include in travel packages games at metricon for tourists to experience. Sponsors will be ringing them as we speak. The positives are massive, I mean massive. As a Port supporter I am almost jealous that we are the ones doing all the work and having to take the flack, but at the same time I am proud of our Vision and there is plenty in China for everyone, apart from the Crows, who famously said they will 'leave China (one of the biggest economies in the world) to Port.' I hope we hold them to that. Smart, GWS, very smart move.

I think this is a massive get for GCS. Sponsorships and Members will come. Port has done the heavy lifting and takes the risk, but many AFL clubs will eventually benefit.

Yeah taking away games from the members, like I said surely we can buy one of their games to give Adealide supporters another game to see their team, with all of our games sold out, it could give those unfortunate Adelaide people that cant get a ticket, to see the crows live, it would be worth the cash if the crows could do that. As for the suns yes it will probably send them further down the scale of wanting to be supported, but thats their problem not mine.

Yeah taking away games from the members, like I said surely we can buy one of their games to give Adealide supporters another game to see their team, with all of our games sold out, it could give those unfortunate Adelaide people that cant get a ticket, to see the crows live, it would be worth the cash if the crows could do that. As for the suns yes it will probably send them further down the scale of wanting to be supported, but thats their problem not mine.
Crows are the biggest posters on this thread..interesting....

Totally agree, you would think clubs that are trying to develop a supporter base and members are selling off home guys and taking away from their supporters an opportunity to see their team, flys in the face of their goal, more supporters and more following!

Very strange strategy if this happens, truly believe its the AFL leaning on the suns, because they can, as the Suns are a cash negative club and need the AFL's support!

Again labouring a banal, repetitive and monotonous points Marty and exclamation marks at the end of every sentence doesn't make it any less monotonous, repetitive or banal......!!!!

I think the oppo clubs getting their knickers in a twist on here are getting concerned that this might actually work. :rolleyes: GCS are the luckiest club in the A F L, they will be viewed next year by the largest international audience ever, after Port doing the heavy lifting. They will be able to include in travel packages games at metricon for tourists to experience. Sponsors will be ringing them as we speak. The positives are massive, I mean massive. As a Port supporter I am almost jealous that we are the ones doing all the work and having to take the flack, but at the same time I am proud of our Vision and there is plenty in China for everyone, apart from the Crows, who famously said they will 'leave China (one of the biggest economies in the world) to Port.' I hope we hold them to that. Smart, GWS, very smart move.

Another upside with the fact GC wont have any supporters in Australia, they could buy some tarps to fill the stadium and put those new sponsors names on them!

Haha fmd What risk? Its an away game for them. They arent risking their own home game and upsetting members and fans.
You know nothing. I am meaning the financial risk to us with all we have already poured into China and the heavy lifting we have done. Plus all the anti Chinese crap we are getting from, in particular, surprise-surprise jealous Crows Ambassadors and callers in Adelaide trying to destroy the project with small minded mud raking. If you think, that by losing one home game you are doing any heavy lifting at all you are deluded. Your club Administration is incredibly savvy by getting on board. All clubs sell away games by the way. You are getting a financial payment plus massive media and sponsor exposure. Small minded people and clubs will remain small. Personally I have a soft spot for the Saints and would prefer they have the opportunity.
By the way Port supporters are planning to travel to Shanghai for this historic moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back