Second club locked in for proposed China game, says Gillon McLachlan

Remove this Banner Ad

You shouldnt be allowed to buy home games.....or sell them. If you want to play somewhere different than the regular home ground, you get one less game there. Simples.

Port should do this as a home game or alternate on a yearly basis with the other side (GC) if it becomes a regular feature.
Oh boy, do some research, many clubs sell home games already sheesh. Plus our contract with AO will not permit us to.

You know nothing. I am meaning the financial risk to us with all we have already poured into China and the heavy lifting we have done. Plus all the anti Chinese crap we are getting from, in particular, surprise-surprise jealous Crows Ambassadors and callers in Adelaide trying to destroy the project with small minded mud raking. If you think, that by losing one home game you are doing any heavy lifting at all you are deluded. Your club Administration is incredibly savvy by getting on board. All clubs sell away games by the way. You are getting a financial payment plus massive media and sponsor exposure. Small minded people and clubs will remain small. Personally I have a soft spot for the Saints and would prefer they have the opportunity.
By the way Port supporters are planning to travel to Shanghai for this historic moment.
What Power supporters? You mean the State Government?

Oh boy, do some research, many clubs sell home games already sheesh. Plus our contract with AO will not permit us to.

And I have always been opposed to it eg when the Lions and Swans were allowed to buy an extra home game.

Agree. Youve signed a contract. Hence dont go to China. Or compensate AO for their losses out of the massive profits you think this game will generate.

And I have always been opposed to it eg when the Lions and Swans were allowed to buy an extra home game.

Agree. Youve signed a contract. Hence dont go to China. Or compensate AO for their losses out of the massive profits you think this game will generate.
What Power supporters? You mean the State Government?
Sigh

69ed784abd1c107ef08b1014b4cfb16f

Suns will steal all the support! As they should being the home team!

You know nothing. I am meaning the financial risk to us with all we have already poured into China and the heavy lifting we have done. Plus all the anti Chinese crap we are getting from, in particular, surprise-surprise jealous Crows Ambassadors and callers in Adelaide trying to destroy the project with small minded mud raking. If you think, that by losing one home game you are doing any heavy lifting at all you are deluded. Your club Administration is incredibly savvy by getting on board. All clubs sell away games by the way. You are getting a financial payment plus massive media and sponsor exposure. Small minded people and clubs will remain small. Personally I have a soft spot for the Saints and would prefer they have the opportunity.
By the way Port supporters are planning to travel to Shanghai for this historic moment.
Number 1 its General Giant not Jon Snow.

it's common sense. You are doing nothing other than getting another club to take the risk with crowds etc. You arent wasting your home game in a country that gives two fifths of * all about us and our game

I do agree, the Suns may be more appealing, since the Gold Coast is a much closer and more appealing destination than Adelaide (sorry people of Adelaide, it's true). Could backfire a little on Port, though I don't expect this to succeed in any meaningful way.

Crows are the biggest posters on this thread..interesting....

Most crows supporters are in SA and it was our SA government dollars that enabled you to do the "heavy lifting". Of course we would have the most to say.

Now the AFL are paying the Suns so you can once again do the "heavy lifting" by giving up an away game.

The Hawks should do the same thing as you guys when they get their sponsorship dollars from Tasmania.

Hawks: "We will be playing an away game in Launceston, which club wants to play their home game there, the AFL will compensate you".

Port thinking: Why are people upset about this?

You shouldnt be allowed to buy home games.....or sell them. If you want to play somewhere different than the regular home ground, you get one less game there. Simples.

Port should do this as a home game or alternate on a yearly basis with the other side (GC) if it becomes a regular feature.

IIRC WCE wanted to buy some home games off struggling Vic clubs but were denied by the AFL. Why do Port get an exemption from that? I guess the answer is the AFL these days makes it up as they go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that is the whole point. Clubs sell HOME games not AWAY games.

Any contract can be re-negotiated, as you guys did when you moved your Footy Park game against Melbourne to Adelaide Oval.

You compensated the SANFL for their loss, your super duper Chairman Koch should be able to negotiate to move a game from Adelaide Oval with appropriate compensation to the SMA, to deny this is ludicrous as your club has already done it once.

So to any Port supporter would you be happy if the Power moved your home fgame to china, meaning you will miss out on seeing your team live here in adealide and you can watch that game on the box or sepend a few grand to go and watch them?

And the question is about what it will generate in $$$, it is would you personally be happy not seeing your team?

IIRC WCE wanted to buy some home games off struggling Vic clubs but were denied by the AFL. Why do Port get an exemption from that? I guess the answer is the AFL these days makes it up as they go.

Crows tried to do it the mid nineties as well, VFL denied us.

They're not making up rules as they go. It's always been the same, no selling of extra games to an established market is allowed. China doesn't quite seem to fit the definition of an established market.

I don't see why clubs shouldn't be allowed to organise that. Everyone wins in the long run.

It severley compromises the competition, if West Coast for example made 30 million and paid a number of clubs a million $ per game to play in WA, and managed to find 6 clubs to take the offer. They would end up playing 18 games in their home state against teams with no support. Different to Vic clubs playing Vic clubs. And the only reason West Coast get the advantage would be because of their wealth. Similar to the reason we have a salary cap.

In any event, seems like it may not be a done deal for GC to be the "other" club

"Tony Cochrane the president has come out clearly saying he wants it and I think there's a bit of positioning there," McLachlan said on 3AW.

"It's very clear now, I can say publicly, Gold Coast want to be in China but a decision hasn't been made and there are other clubs interested.

"It [the money] comes out of whatever deal's done, we won't be paying a club to do it."

And apparently Hall was taken out of context. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise. Then again, it wouldn't be all that surprising if he was now just back-pedaling.

Reacting to a post on Facebook about the supposed deal, young ruckman Keegan Brooksby tagged teammate Aaron Hall about the news, with Hall adding: "I'm out mate."

In a post on Twitter, Hall said his Facebook comment had been taken out of context.

"My comment has been taken out of context. An in-house gag about my superstitious pre game rituals. I would love to play a game in China," Hall said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-in-china-20160421-gocfxm.html#ixzz46WFYcyOy

It severley compromises the competition, if West Coast for example made 30 million and paid a number of clubs a million $ per game to play in WA, and managed to find 6 clubs to take the offer. They would end up playing 18 games in their home state against teams with no support. Different to Vic clubs playing Vic clubs. And the only reason West Coast get the advantage would be because of their wealth. Similar to the reason we have a salary cap.
But then they are sharing that wealth with those 6 clubs. Right now they share it through the tax, which benefits only the poorer clubs. Why shouldn't the richer clubs get some benefits for helping to prop up the poorer ones?

And I see absolutely no reason why non-Vic teams shouldn't be able to play 18 home games.

But then they are sharing that wealth with those 6 clubs. Right now they share it through the tax, which benefits only the poorer clubs. Why shouldn't the richer clubs get some benefits for helping to prop up the poorer ones?

And I see absolutely no reason why non-Vic teams shouldn't be able to play 18 home games.

Its not about wealth or how much you have, the AFL try to equalise everything so that the competition isnt compromised and we dont have something like a premier league where there are 4 teams constantly at the top due to their supporter base which reflects their wealth.

By setting a salary cap and not giving a team home ground advantages it evens the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back