Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Since the back half of last season this has been a massive problem

Can't all be down to injuries

That game against GWS on the Friday night that arguably put a nail in our finals hopes coffin was horrendous after we played some great stuff the first half and looked up for the contest, a few errors from Young hands GWS a couple of easy goals and then we drop our heads and do nothing the rest of the game. The next week we were 2 goals up early in the last quarter against Port with Libba playing his best game of the year up til that point then we capitulated and Port kicked something like the last 4-5 goals of the game to kill us off.

Enter this year

Had control of the game against Sydney late in the second quarter, then we lost all structure and Sydney kicked 6 in a row late in the second quarter to late in the third before we pegged them back a bit, but this period of the game ruined our hopes of winning the game, cant put it down to a dropped mark from Dunkley that lost us the game.

Collingwood game. Up by 2-3 goals at half time, then go goalless second half, abysmal performance.

North game, up by 3 goals at half time, Higgins and Cunnington turn the game on its head, crucial period in where we lost the ascendancy and control of the game, not all down to Wallis shanking his kick that cost us imo.

Hawthorn game, pathetic second half again after leading by 2 points at half time, goalless third quarter and nothing done to stem the tide. Just as bad as the Collingwood game if not worse considering they kicked a larger score than the Pies and we may have had heavy legs from playing in a pond the week beforehand against Adelaide.

Enter today, same old s**t, getting killed out of the middle after being infront early in the third. Nothing done to stem the tide. Shithouse coaching imo.

Last edited:

In 2012 the last six weeks were 10 goal losses, most of which from second half.

We got through it then and will again.
Been a trend for nearly a year though

Yep 2012 was horrendous and the first half of 2013 was poor too but the back half of 2013 was much improved.

Just seems Bevo and co don't do anything to stem the tide in the coaches box.

I don't see it as a massive problem given the personnel we have available for selection each week. It's what happens to sides with too many young players. When we had MBoyd, Murphy, Picken, Libba, Dickson, Clay, etc we'd hold it together pretty well. In fact a feature of our play in 2015-16 was our strong play in the final quarters of games.

Second half capitulation is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that we can match it with some of the best sides for lengthy periods of the game and yet we are playing way under full strength. At least we didn't capitulate in the first half as well.

You know, glass half full, half empty sort of stuff.

Fix the general problems we've had with injuries and having a side full of underdeveloped players and we go a long way to fixing the second halves.
Might take a year or two though.

Looking at the ladder now, we have the worst points against of the 17 teams in the comp. We have conceded more points than the other 16 teams, even the Suns.

(I dont count the bottom "team" who, as far as I can tell from last night, play in their underwear and would be whipped by the best VFL teams)

Why do we have the worst defensive record now? What's going wrong and how can we fix this for next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s be honest - half the side are first year players or on the way back from serious injuries. They won’t have the tank or resilience of senior players and we’re missing some quality.

We can improve fitness dramatically. I’m oddly heartened that we’re competitive with the make up of the team.

Looking at the ladder now, we have the worst points against of the 17 teams in the comp. We have conceded more points than the other 16 teams, even the Suns.

(I dont count the bottom "team" who, as far as I can tell from last night, play in their underwear and would be whipped by the best VFL teams)

Why do we have the worst defensive record now? What's going wrong and how can we fix this for next year?
Over the last 6-7 weeks we’ve been either in front or well in the game at half time. We get overrun late and teams get bursts of goals.

We need a super fit midfield like we had in ‘16 and forwards who pressure relentlessly and for a whole game. Honestly I was sitting with a Melbourne fan who was losing the plot until half time. It’s not what we’re doing - it’s just that we only do it for a half.

The improvement can be rapid but only if we get fitter and have better luck with mature players. Suckling, Bont, Libba, Boyd, English, Wood etc would make a difference.

Since the back half of last season this has been a massive problem

Can't all be down to injuries

That game against GWS on the Friday night that arguably put a nail in our finals hopes coffin was horrendous after we played some great stuff the first half and looked up for the contest, a few errors from Young hands GWS a couple of easy goals and then we drop our heads and do nothing the rest of the game. The next week we were 2 goals up early in the last quarter against Port with Libba playing his best game of the year up til that point then we capitulated and Port kicked something like the last 4-5 goals of the game to kill us off.

Enter this year

Had control of the game against Sydney late in the second quarter, then we lost all structure and Sydney kicked 6 in a row late in the second quarter to late in the third before we pegged them back a bit, but this period of the game ruined our hopes of winning the game, cant put it down to a dropped mark from Dunkley that lost us the game.

Collingwood game. Up by 2-3 goals at half time, then go goalless second half, abysmal performance.

North game, up by 3 goals at half time, Higgins and Cunnington turn the game on its head, crucial period in where we lost the ascendancy and control of the game, not all down to Wallis shanking his kick that cost us imo.

Hawthorn game, pathetic second half again after leading by 2 points at half time, goalless third quarter and nothing done to stem the tide. Just as bad as the Collingwood game if not worse considering they kicked a larger score than the Pies and we may have had heavy legs from playing in a pond the week beforehand against Adelaide.

Enter today, same old s**t, getting killed out of the middle after being infront early in the third. Nothing done to stem the tide. Shithouse coaching imo.

Great OP. I would be very interested in our 2018 percentage from first half of matches, vs that fromsecond half of our matches.

Tbh, it’s a classic symptom of a very young team. I checked last week vs Hawks - median age was 56.5 games from memory. Only 1 team was younger - they’re dead last.

No doubt none of this will be lost on the coaching group (it’s too obvious for anyone to miss this).

I really don’t see a 2018 fix for it though - match day moves might work here or there, and we did see the players able to run out games ok in rounds 3 and 4, and recently in the 2nd and 3rd games after a bye.... but i think the answer simply is a preseason, or 2.

The silver lining - our youngsters led the second placed team by 3 goals at half-time! Once those pre-seasons have been had i think we are in store for some sort of a run.

Great OP. I would be very interested in our 2018 percentage from first half of matches, vs that fromsecond half of our matches.

First halves: 8 wins, 8 losses. 632 points for, 676 points against. 93.49%. 11th on the first half ladder (Port and North can go past us if they win their first halves today)

Second halves: 2 wins, 14 losses. 507 points for, 883 points against. 57.42%. 17ths on the second half ladder, only Gold Coast (1 win, 50.8%) are worse.

Source: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder

First halves: 8 wins, 8 losses. 632 points for, 676 points against. 93.49%. 11th on the first half ladder (Port and North can go past us if they win their first halves today)

Second halves: 2 wins, 14 losses. 507 points for, 883 points against. 57.42%. 17ths on the second half ladder, only Gold Coast (1 win, 50.8%) are worse.

Source: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder

Thank you for that.

Wow, those results pretty much tell us everything...

Think it's a bit harsh on the youngsters. Plus there's no consistency in more experienced players week in week out. Not easy to settle a team with all that happening.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Agree. It's almost our most significant problem. I would consider Dahl, Wallis, Hunter, Bont and Macrae the senior midfield players available for selection when uninjured. All but Macrae I'd suggest have been very inconsistent. Possibly some are hampered by lingering fitness/injury issues (and in Bont's case workload as well) but they are essentially not providing a stable framework for the younger less experienced ones to work off.

It's not all bad though when you consider of the 5 "senior" players I've mentioned 3 (I think) wouldn't be more than 22 yrs old. Their seniority is in terms of match experience relative to the rest of the list.

Two of our most consistent and senior players who go through the midfield in Libba and Picken have been missing all year through injury (Libba's 2017 gap year of inconsistency is forgiven).

Other players who might be considered senior; JJ, Roughy and Daniel have also been inconsistent if not downright disappointing. Another senior in Dickson injured for the vast majority of the season.

During 2015 and particularly 16, Libba, Bont, Macrae and Picken could be consistently relied upon to stop/arrest a slide in the guts and get things back on track and on our terms. Half that quartet is missing (3 yesterday) and those senior players filling the breach are not of the same calibre.

It's not all bad though when you consider of the 5 "senior" players I've mentioned 3 (I think) wouldn't be more than 22 yrs old. Their seniority is in terms of match experience relative to the rest of the list.
Not quite, but they are still young, so your point is probably still valid. Bont is 22. Macrae and Hunter are 23. Dahl and Wallis are 25.

Other players who might be considered senior; JJ, Roughy and Daniel have also been inconsistent if not downright disappointing. Another senior in Dickson injured for the vast majority of the season.
Daniel only turned 22 a week ago so I wouldn't consider him a senior player. Has played 68 games. On our list I guess it makes him senior (!) but that wouldn't apply across the league average.

During 2015 and particularly 16, Libba, Bont, Macrae and Picken could be consistently relied upon to stop/arrest a slide in the guts and get things back on track and on our terms. Half that quartet is missing (3 yesterday) and those senior players filling the breach are not of the same calibre.
Points above are only to fill in the gaps. I do agree with your argument. We're asking a helluva lot from kids who are only a few years out of junior ranks. Our 26-32 year old cohort have mostly left, been injured or are MIA.

Been a trend for nearly a year though

Yep 2012 was horrendous and the first half of 2013 was poor too but the back half of 2013 was much improved.

Just seems Bevo and co don't do anything to stem the tide in the coaches box.
It's incredibly hard to stem any tides when you get diced in the ruck and can't win a centre clearance, or even half one. We're the worst centre clearance team in the competition over the past two years.

Goals against result in repeated opportunities at more goals against. The snowball gets larger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back