News GFG on board as joint major sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Oak gave us extra money as well so take a few 100k away

Did they though? That whole ‘uhhhh, now OAK is on both sides of the guernsey yayyyy’ episode was the pinnacle of arse-covering. Under the circumstances I’d be shocked if they stumped up an extra $100k let alone a few.

Did they though? That whole ‘uhhhh, now OAK is on both sides of the guernsey yayyyy’ episode was the pinnacle of arse-covering. Under the circumstances I’d be shocked if they stumped up an extra $100k let alone a few.

Pretty sure we didn’t receive any additional funds.

Lockhart Road can you confirm?

Pretty sure we didn’t receive any additional funds.

Lockhart Road can you confirm?
I can’t confirm, but my impression has always been that we didn’t. We didn’t deserve anything in any case, the way it was mishandled. We should’ve been too embarrassed to ask.

With a plant that size I would have thought he'd generate his own power
That's his plan. He wants to generate 1 GW from dispatchable renewable energy, starting with his first his projects – the 280 MW Cultana solar project near Whyalla, which he started building last year. The Cultana solar farm will be built by Simec Zen Energy, the company of which Gupta’s GFG Alliance now holds a 51 per cent stake. Zen Energy is on the ASX. It's supposed to produce 600 GWh of electricity a year from 780,000 solar panels. He will need some decent transmission lines and batteries to run his steelworks from this source.

Edit see https://www.zenenergy.com.au/blog/u...-program-launched-in-whyalla-south-australia/

Last edited:
... the 280 MW Cultana solar project near Whyalla .... He will need some decent transmission lines and batteries to run his steelworks from this source. ..
Cultana is north of Whyalla between the Lincoln Hwy and the gulf so he will connect to the existing HV transmission lines between Port Augusta and Whyalla.

Energy Australia are building a pumped hydro plant in the same area. If he can do a deal to use the solar to power the pumps when the sun shines that will be his energy storage for when the sun doesn't shine.

Edit: I read the article you linked and it mentions the "world's largest lithium ion battery" but doesn't appear to give any details.

Last edited:
Cultana is north of Whyalla between the Lincoln Hwy and the gulf so he will connect to the existing HV transmission lines between Port Augusta and Whyalla.

Energy Australia are building a pumped hydro plant in the same area. If he can do a deal to use the solar to power the pumps when the sun shines that will be his energy storage for when the sun doesn't shine.

Edit: I read the article you linked and it mentions the "world's largest lithium ion battery" but doesn't appear to give any details.
There is still another 720 MW generation to be get to Gupta's controlled 1 GW generation, that might not be close to existing transmission lines.

Here is a bit more info about his battery, which Zen Energy had been working on developing before their merger with SIMEC.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/gupta-gets-10-million-sa-loan-to-trump-teslas-big-battery-92317/

Tell me about it. I spent a good part of my National Service trudging in the red dust of Cultana. I am sure every fly in South Australia used to migrate to Cultana for their holidays.

Any more news about there actually being a second major sponsor and if/when it may be announced?
Are we waiting on the results of council elections to confirm it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon at or just after the AGM it will be announced - Gupta likes the goodwill generated by being the saviour of an ailing company.

Reckon at or just after the AGM it will be announced - Gupta likes the goodwill generated by being the saviour of an ailing company.
Announce it the Friday arvo to the media and he rocks up an hour or two later at the AGM. Might get 2 lots of images for the PR machine.

I'm hearing its to be announced at West Whyalla Footy Cub ( Whyalla ) on the night of 18th Feb. The team will be present.

He’s been front and centre for all the announcements so far in Whyalla, shaking hands and getting his face out there. Makes a lot of sense hed do it at a community event. Won’t be surprised if it’s done on that night or at the intra club 3 days prior so they can talk about it on the night.

He’s been front and centre for all the announcements so far in Whyalla, shaking hands and getting his face out there. Makes a lot of sense hed do it at a community event. Won’t be surprised if it’s done on that night or at the intra club 3 days prior so they can talk about it on the night.

That would make sense, announce it infront if the port crowd then they can build it up for a few days.

I'm hearing its to be announced at West Whyalla Footy Cub ( Whyalla ) on the night of 18th Feb. The team will be present.

That would make it two portnights.

That's his plan. He wants to generate 1 GW from dispatchable renewable energy, starting with his first his projects – the 280 MW Cultana solar project near Whyalla, which he started building last year. The Cultana solar farm will be built by Simec Zen Energy, the company of which Gupta’s GFG Alliance now holds a 51 per cent stake. Zen Energy is on the ASX. It's supposed to produce 600 GWh of electricity a year from 780,000 solar panels. He will need some decent transmission lines and batteries to run his steelworks from this source.

Edit see https://www.zenenergy.com.au/blog/u...-program-launched-in-whyalla-south-australia/

Yeah and he's going to need a s**t ton of gov subsidies to make it even remotely feasible, just like those solar farms etc. It's good for us in terms of being the ones getting the benefit of the buttering up, I'm sure there'll be a few other organisations that benefit too.

Yeah and he's going to need a s**t ton of gov subsidies to make it even remotely feasible, just like those solar farms etc. It's good for us in terms of being the ones getting the benefit of the buttering up, I'm sure there'll be a few other organisations that benefit too.
Have you got the maths that say how much a s**t load is?

Have you got the maths that say how much a s**t load is?

This is the battery we worked on:

https://www.escri-sa.com.au

Working like a dream thanks in large part to me :D

It’s all to do with market trading - when demand is high (say on a 44 degree day), the battery discharges into the grid to supply power at a higher rate, and then replenishes overnight when power usage is low.

It was part funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency...but it wasn’t “a s**t load”.

I’m pretty confident the numbers will stack up for Gupta.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back