Official Match Thread Second Preliminary Final: Baghdad Bombers vs East Side Phoenix at Abdu Prison (MOTR)

Remove this Banner Ad

maEPvEv.png

Inside the Matrix

The Bombers finished the home and away season in 3rd place with an 11-6 record, which was soured by a controversial 2 point penalty – but we won’t discuss that here. They mercilessly dispatched the Gumbies in the qualifying final to earn a week off. Will the break work in their favour, or count against them in the penultimate game of the season?

The Phoenix finished just behind the Bombers in 4th place – just half a game behind. They succumbed to the red hot Dragons in the qualifying final, but hit back hard in their semi final against the Demons. Are the Phoenix jaded, or are they match hardened enough to give this a real crack? We’ll find out next Sunday.

The last time these 2 teams met was in round 14. The Phoenix actually led by a goal at half time – it would have been more, except for wayward goal kicking. That inaccuracy would prove very costly, as the Bombers went ballistic in the second half: piling on 12 goals to 2, to record a resounding 52 point victory. Pugsley and kickthething scored 8 goals between them: as many as the whole opposition team. They’ll need to be put on a leash (Pugsley would be quite used to such treatment 😊) this week, or the Bombers may march on to the big dance. Preliminary finals are often more thrilling than the premiership decider: with so much on the line this week, this one may be a thriller.

The Oracle – Captains

1654919386866-jpeg.1421579

BLUEALLTHRU will be hoping the ghosts of the S31 grand final don’t rear their ugly heads this time around. He’ll be hell bent on leading his team into another grand final.

Chipmunk has proved to be an excellent leader for the Phoenix this season: leading his team to the final 4 is a real feather in his cap. Getting this far is a great achievement, but it all counts for nothing if they fall one step short of the big one: it’s all or nothing next Sunday.

Neo – The One

1654919829908-jpeg.1421582

Pugsley finished the minor round with 57 goals, and nailed 8 of the Bombers’ 28 goals in their qualifying final romp over the Gumbies. The Phoenix defence will be under real pressure to keep him to a reasonable tally this week, because if he repeats his qualifying final heroics, it could be the difference between winning and losing.

Itsmyshow finished the minor round with 68 goals – in doing so, he missed out on the Fred Medal by just 2 goals. He failed to trouble the scorers in the qualifying final, before returning to form against the Demons with 6 goals in the semi final. The Phoenix need him to fire this week, or it’ll be someone else’s show next week.

Agent Smith – The Antagonist

1654951669853-jpeg.1421971

Trying to find an antagonist at the Bombers is like trying to locate a Big Mac at McDonalds – you don’t have to look very hard. But I did like The Greatest Ava’s rebuttal of GWS Goose after the qualifying final. Goose was bemoaning the fact that the coach took him off the field, and then moved him between the pockets. He quipped, "I’m not saying he is on the take, but it is hard to think of another explanation that makes sense.” Ava then knocked the air out of his tyres by saying, “The only other explanation is that I was giving you a bath you goose.”

Somebody clearly upset por_please_ya at one point, because she posted this last week, “People who read the OP are clearly evil.” Well I hope she reads this one, because she’s part of it 😊.

Matrix Burly Brawls – Head to Head

1654952470066-jpeg.1421979

The fans would pay good money to see BLUEALLTHRU and MC Bad Genius go head to head. Neither of them could be described as shy off the field, and it’d undoubtedly be a ding dong on field battle if it were to eventuate. Captains: I wouldn’t be so bold as to tell you how to pick your teams, but please consider giving the masses what they want.

Spoon Boy – Next Captain

1654985488215-jpeg.1422085

Having a succession plan is smart business in this serious world of qooty. BLUEALLTHRU and Chipmunk have done stellar jobs for their respective teams, but who are the candidates to take over the reigns, should the 2 skippers decide that captaincy is no longer for them?

Jabba73 is already one of the 94 Bombers in the leadership group, so the transition to full time captain isn’t that great. I think he’d make an excellent leader some time in the future.

por_please_ya (I mentioned her again – surely she likes OP’s by now) is one of the joint vice captains at the Phoenix. She’s popular throughout the league, so her accession to the top job would be well received by many.

What does all this mean? The Matrix does what it wants with both teams, and has decided on a 7 point win to the Bombers.

* Thanks to Barrybran for the awesome header.

Captains, please submit your team sheet by 11:59pm Thursday

Last edited:
Welcome to the Prison Feenix, good to have you back.

Please enjoy the pregame festivities because whatever the result, you will get Sweet FA after the game.

Get around the Bombers, we cannot be given a bath in the GF if we don't get there ... almost certain that we win this one so the pain of another GF loss can be inflicted with glee.

Can you imagine beating a side twice in a home and away season then losing when it matters?
Is that a rhetorical question or are you having another imaginary conversation with Joel Selwood again?

Wow! How original Jack. It’s almost like you copied the previous answer. But surely you wouldn’t do that, hey Jack! Hey Jack!
Is that a rhetorical question?

Thanks for the vote of confidence philthy rich, we have already announced co-Caliphs for next season and thankfully I am not one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maEPvEv.png

Inside the Matrix

The Bombers finished the home and away season in 3rd place with an 11-6 record, which was soured by a controversial 2 point penalty – but we won’t discuss that here. They mercilessly dispatched the Gumbies in the qualifying final to earn a week off. Will the break work in their favour, or count against them in the penultimate game of the season?

The Phoenix finished just behind the Bombers in 4th place – just half a game behind. They succumbed to the red hot Dragons in the qualifying final, but hit back hard in their semi final against the Demons. Are the Phoenix jaded, or are they match hardened enough to give this a real crack? We’ll find out next Sunday.

The last time these 2 teams met was in round 14. The Phoenix actually led by a goal at half time – it would have been more, except for wayward goal kicking. That inaccuracy would prove very costly, as the Bombers went ballistic in the second half: piling on 12 goals to 2, to record a resounding 52 point victory. Pugsley and kickthething scored 8 goals between them: as many as the whole opposition team. They’ll need to be put on a leash (Pugsley would be quite used to such treatment 😊) this week, or the Bombers may march on to the big dance. Preliminary finals are often more thrilling than the premiership decider: with so much on the line this week, this one may be a thriller.

The Oracle – Captains

BLUEALLTHRU will be hoping the ghosts of the S31 grand final don’t rear their ugly heads this time around. He’ll be hell bent on leading his team into another grand final.

Chipmunk has proved to be an excellent leader for the Phoenix this season: leading his team to the final 4 is a real feather in his cap. Getting this far is a great achievement, but it all counts for nothing if they fall one step short of the big one: it’s all or nothing next Sunday.

Neo – The One

Pugsley finished the minor round with 57 goals, and nailed 8 of the Bombers’ 28 goals in their qualifying final romp over the Gumbies. The Phoenix defence will be under real pressure to keep him to a reasonable tally this week, because if he repeats his qualifying final heroics, it could be the difference between winning and losing.

Itsmyshow finished the minor round with 68 goals – in doing so, he missed out on the Fred Medal by just 2 goals. He failed to trouble the scorers in the qualifying final, before returning to form against the Demons with 6 goals in the semi final. The Phoenix need him to fire this week, or it’ll be someone else’s show next week.

Trying to find an antagonist at the Bombers is like trying to locate a Big Mac at McDonalds – you don’t have to look very hard. But I did like The Greatest Ava’s rebuttal of GWS Goose after the qualifying final. Goose was bemoaning the fact that the coach took him off the field, and then moved him between the pockets. He quipped, "I’m not saying he is on the take, but it is hard to think of another explanation that makes sense.” Ava then knocked the air out of his tyres by saying, “The only other explanation is that I was giving you a bath you goose.”

Somebody clearly upset por_please_ya at one point, because she posted this last week, “People who read the OP are clearly evil.” Well I hope she reads this one, because she’s part of it 😊.

The fans would pay good money to see BLUEALLTHRU and MC Bad Genius go head to head. Neither of them could be described as shy off the field, and it’d undoubtedly be a ding dong on field battle if it were to eventuate. Captains: I wouldn’t be so bold as to tell you how to pick your teams, but please consider giving the masses what they want.

Spoon Boy – Next Captain

Having a succession plan is smart business in this serious world of qooty. BLUEALLTHRU and Chipmunk have done stellar jobs for their respective teams, but who are the candidates to take over the reigns, should the 2 skippers decide that captaincy is no longer for them?

Jabba73 is already one of the 94 Bombers in the leadership group, so the transition to full time captain isn’t that great. I think he’d make an excellent leader some time in the future.

por_please_ya (I mentioned her again – surely she likes OP’s by now) is one of the joint vice captains at the Phoenix. She’s popular throughout the league, so her accession to the top job would be well received by many.

What does all this mean? The Matrix does what it wants with both teams, and has decided on a 7 point win to the Bombers.

Excellent OP mate and thanks to Barrybran also:thumbsu:

Welcome Phoenix to Abdu I hope you find our hospitality s**t and enjoy it.

To all the other teams not playing this Sunday, please feel free to join in and make this week a cracker!

I hope for at least 40 asterisk posts from Baghdad's most ardent supporter Grand Uncle Horace !!

NaturalDisaster we couldn't have done it without you mate. Win or lose!!!

Where does MC Bad Genius play and I'll see if we can organise the match up and more importantly who is he??

Chipmunk if you're feeling hungry we have plenty of nuts to nibble on mate.

CARNA ******* BAGHDAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maEPvEv.png

Inside the Matrix

The Oracle – Captains

Neo – The One

Spoon Boy – Next Captain

Nodding Approve GIF by Ford

Wow! How original Jack. It’s almost like you copied the previous answer. But surely you wouldn’t do that, hey Jack! Hey Jack!
Two days ago. I was as confident as I am this week.

Can you imagine beating a side twice in a home and away season then losing when it matters?
Not sure who we are playing in the GF ... you can put your house on us losing to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back