Preview Second Preliminary-Final - Richmond v GWS Giants, Saturday, September 23, MCG, 4.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well cover me with oatmeal and call me Breakfast. I'm shocked. Shocked I tells ya.

Who ever would have guessed, that a team, founded 132 years ago in what is pretty much down town CBD of Heartland Central, would have more supporters than a team founded a mere 7 years ago on the frontier wasteland of enemy territory.

Colour me stunned that we'll be outnumbered on the weekend.

This is Toby Greene's stage. He lives for this.
I really want to see the breakdown for the adleaide geelong game... i did read somewhere (not reputable) that they have 6000 supporters at AO this week. Its a great stat for us if thats true

I would love to know the official figures.... then would like to know where the article is that reports THEIR crowd numbers
Yeah
Except we had a few hundred at AO at most. WC had a few K according to reports. We'll have more at the MCG.

All registered. Hope we get a few register for GF tickets.

If we win hope we play Geelong as I reckon a lot of Melbourne people may jump on our bandwagon compared to playing the crows

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Frankly I really couldn't care less, other than I want Giants supporters around me if we manage to get there. What other clubs supporters do is a matter for them.
The aim of the comp is to win. The growth of the club is a different issue, plenty of time in the off season to discuss that.

Feeling confident about the game due to being at our "Jungle" in front of 95k, I think people underestimate and just don't really understand until you are there just the feeling it gives. The geelong game was like nothing I have witnessed before. The noise was insane every time we did something good or especially a goal. Anytime Geelong scored or a good bit of a play you could hear a bin drop and then a huge BOOOOOO.

If you guys can win it will be one of the great victories given the environment but if any team can do it its you guys. My favourite team to watch other than my tigers so if we lose I can wear it and hope you go onto win a flag!

Key match ups?

I think our forwards will put a lot of heat on Wilson, Williams, Shaw and Deledio give them no time or space.

Prestia will go with Shiel I feel and Grigg/Mcintosh will spend some close time with Scully.

Up front I don't think your forward line is concerning so to speak, I mean that in you all work together and there is no match up that stands out as an advantage and I think that goes for both forward lines. You would look at ours and be comfortable with match ups. Davis to Jack, Corr/Tomlinson - Caddy/Townsend and you guys will back your runners to out play Butler, Castagna, Rioli, Edwards, Lambert, when they are down there.

Your midfield is the best in the league which is going to be a huge challenge!

All the best guys and if you get through hope you come home with the Flag!

GWS cannot be playing all of Haynes, Corr, Davis and Tomlinson in the backline.
I would actually leave Corr out. Richmond forward line only have one tall in Riewoldt. Davis can play on him and Haynes be the spare guy but no need for Corr and Tomlinson down there.
Tomlinson either has to play forward or help in ruck but not aware how much ruck work he has ever done, if any. I would probably leave Steve Johnson out too and rest him up and back your other boys to get you in grand final and have his knee be ready for the bigger game next week. If Tomlinson stays in which I think he will then has to be forward and then tall Himmelberg out. I do not think they will do that even though I think they should.

Got to be at least 2 changes at minimum this week.
Maybe Devon Smith and Setterfield in for Corr and Steve Johnson.
Foot soldier Reid maybe a chance too.
I doubt Ryan Griffen match fit enough to take gamble on this late in the season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corr has probably the fastest closing speed out of our KPD and is capable of handling mediums. I would be tempted to play Tomlinson as a defensive forward on rance

Excellent points. Was not aware Corr has speed enough to play on a small too. Handy if this is on the mark.
Corr definitely has the foot speed but I'd question if he has the footy smarts. He gets wrong-footed a bit too often for someone who'll have to match up on a smaller player.

On the contrary. Hardwick would be more than happy if you go too tall in backline.
The error is your assumption that playing Corr is going too tall. Leon mentioned him as a possible match up on Betts in the QF. He also took Kennedy in round 22.
To most of us that know the team, Tomlinson is the one at risk. We left him out against the Bulldogs without an obvious match up. He's a good tough stopper with a big tank, but not great at ground level.
The suggestion we use him up forward on Rance makes some sense to me though, he's the kind of guy that could worry him.
We used Haynes on Rance at the MCG last time and that costs us in intercept marking in the backline in my view. I've also seen Corr used up forward but I think he's needed down back. I do think Leon knows what he's doing and will make the best choice.

Last edited:
Corr definitely has the foot speed but I'd question if he has the footy smarts. He gets wrong-footed a bit too often for someone who'll have to match up on a smaller player.
:)He doesn't come across as a rocket scientist in interviews, but as long as he can hear Heater he'll be guided in the right direction I'm sure..

Jack - Davis
Townsend will go to your intercept marker so I assume Haynes?
Caddy - Corr?
Butler - Tomlinson?
Rioli - Shaw/ Lids
Castangna - Wilson

Nothing stands out for Corr/Tomlinson

The guys that rotate through the forward line are Dusty, Caddy, Prestia, Lambert and Edwards.

I do think Leon knows what he's doibg and will make the best choice.
He seems to know what he is doing. He went with Lobb in ruck last week and no Simpson as the right call which I expected and also think this week he will be smart enough, not to go too tall in backline for opposing team that plays a small forward line.

Jack - Davis
Townsend will go to your intercept marker so I assume Haynes?
Caddy - Corr?
Butler - Tomlinson?
Rioli - Shaw/ Lids
Castangna - Wilson

Nothing stands out for Corr/Tomlinson

The guys that rotate through the forward line are Dusty, Caddy, Prestia, Lambert and Edwards.
I like Jacob Townsend, and I think it's seriously great he's back playing well in a quality AFL team. Send him to Haynes though and we'll accept , and he'll get a bath I think.
Haynes look slight but his positioning and contested marking is elite, Jacob risks giving a lot of free kicks away to counter him with physicality.

I like Jacob Townsend, and I think it's seriously great he's back playing well in a quality AFL team. Send him to Haynes though and we'll accept , and he'll get a bath I think.
Haynes look slight but his positioning and contested marking is elite, Jacob risks giving a lot of free kicks away to counter him with physicality.

Our guys have played with Jacob more than the Richmond guys will have, so should know his preferred side, lead etc.

I wonder if he still gets annoyed if people call him a redhead?

Our guys have played with Jacob more than the Richmond guys will have, so should know his preferred side, lead etc.

I wonder if he still gets annoyed if people call him a redhead?

Did not know that.

I could try yelling "bloodnut" when he gets the ball.
:huh: Not sure I'll be heard from level 2 over the crowd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back