Game Day Second Preliminary Final vs Richmond 4:45PM @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I expected this to be a nightmare thread to moderate due to the pre-game day issues with some tigers supporters, but really the s**t posting came from bulldogs supporters, go figure.
To a man/woman the tigers fans that have ventured this way have been good natured.

On Cotchin, I don't believe him to be a dirty player, nor do I think he tried to knock Dylan out deliberately, but, he has already been done for punching twice this year, and clearly hit Dylans jaw with his shoulder.
To be honest I don't want him to play, his clumsy play wiped out a crucial player for us early in a PF for the second year in a row. And as with last year, we had the game on even terms at the time.

If Richmond win without him I will be delighted for them, but if he plays I am barracking for Adelaide.

I understand what your saying, if it were Dusty being knocked out and we lost initially I would want action as well. I would see red for 48 hours at least and then I would move on. I'm sure there would have been a lynch mob formed straight away and a serious riot in melbourne if said player got off for hitting Dusty and more so, costing us a real chance of victory and what could of followed. I get where your coming from.

Sadly I cant take my biased glasses off and hope he plays, not to rub salt into the wound but I feel a lot of Richmond haters are jumping on your wave of emotion only because they hate us, nothing to do with integrity of game etc. If he is guilty then so be it, Richmond should except and move on and not appeal it.

Losing Shiel early on top of the absence of Cameron & Smith was a massive loss.

FWIW, I thought the umpiring was appalling and mostly one sided against your side in the 2nd & 3rd terms. The Cotchin incident has taken it off the back page.

The forward 50 entries were the big issue from the GWS perspective and Patton could not handle the load one out. You were clearly down a marking player up forward. Some hard decisions on Mumford, Shaw & Deledio may have to be made.

A ruck combo of Lobb/Patton with a forward line of Himmelberg, Cemeron & Patton looks a better blend.
I'm not sure the umpiring decided the game though. If it was a 6 point loss like last year we could maybe be discussing that. But we were totally outclassed in the 2nd half fair and square. That was the difference.

However I agree with the issues you mention with Shaw and mummy etc.

I think the Giants and Geelong may become destination clubs for a couple more years as they keep making prelims and falling short. I think the Johnsons and delideos and Mitchell's may have started a trend and we may see this happening a lot more as players bear the end of their career.

But I think the giants may look at trading a few people out to get more needs filled.

However I think reaching a prelim with the injuries we had this year is a ginormous effort. If they can keep the same team on the park next year they will be scary.

The team on Sat just had not played enough together

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading posts from the Tiges, and reports from our fans who travelled south, makes me want to say congrats to them as a club and fanbase.

Held yourselves proudly and respectfully.

A certain minnow club on the way out of significance could learn a thing or 2.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Haha agree

I'll say it again my respect for Richmond has escalated exponentially for the way their massive crowd treated our fans at the game and how their posters have treated us on this board.

I'm not sure the umpiring decided the game though. If it was a 6 point loss like last year we could maybe be discussing that.

No one can say for certain, but GWS's momentum was severely stifled when they had control of the game.

Late blowouts tend to cover up these things.

No one can say for certain, but GWS's momentum was severely stifled when they had control of the game.

Late blowouts tend to cover up these things.
Loss of Shiel killed the game for us.

Was one fo our best out there and was running the midfield

Some very poor Ump decisions in the 3rd quarter but the Tigers were in control by then anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If it had have been Toby on Cotchin the media would have been calling for the death sentence and the MRP would have obliged.

Total double standards
element of truth in there for sure, AFL has a history of having different outcomes when the next game is a GF, I get it and hope the same would happen for us next time, but I'll still be barracking for Adelaide.

Just wanted to thank the Giants for submitting a nebulous medical report. If it was Carlton, our skipper would be watching from the stands on Saturday.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Just wanted to thank the Giants for submitting a nebulous medical report. If it was Carlton, our skipper would be watching from the stands on Saturday.

The fans probably don't agree, still want some measure of retribution for losing Shield for the bulk of the PF. I don't believe there's any personal animosity towards Cotchin, just wanting justice. But, the medical report aligns with Leon's comments in the post-PF presser and I think that GWS have shown ourselves to be scrupulously fair on leaving the game on the ground as much as possible. Despite some salty posts by fans of other clubs very occasionally. Anyway, it is what it is & hope that Tigers fans enjoy the build up to the GF this week.

The fans probably don't agree, still want some measure of retribution for losing Shield for the bulk of the PF. I don't believe there's any personal animosity towards Cotchin, just wanting justice. But, the medical report aligns with Leon's comments in the post-PF presser and I think that GWS have shown ourselves to be scrupulously fair on leaving the game on the ground as much as possible. Despite some salty posts by fans of other clubs very occasionally. Anyway, it is what it is & hope that Tigers fans enjoy the build up to the GF this week.

Well Leon is an ex-Tiger...

Think the clubs get on well after several deals allowing Morris, Miles, Townsend to move easily. Best of luck with Lids next year, he never really had a chance in 2017.

I didn't actually see much in it. Up to the MRP in the end. Given Leon's comments doesn't seem our club does either. He's a very straight shooter on these matters whether our players or opposition.
Suggests to me he might be ok.
Feel for Dylan but cautious of the emotional response that someone has to pay.

Bad luck guys, two prelim losses in a row hurts. Losing Shiel was a big loss and felt like it hurt a lot as you ran out of legs. Im surprised Cotch and Ellis both got off, but it is leading into a granny and the MRP tends to look the other way this week.
You've got the cattle and the infrastructure, you'll be a force for years to come, the flag will be with you soon, Im just hopeful we sneak another one in before the Giants dynasty begins. When you guys learn to be consistent you'll be devastating.

Good luck for next year

I didn't actually see much in it. Up to the MRP in the end. Given Leon's comments doesn't seem our club does either. He's a very straight shooter on these matters whether our players or opposition.
Suggests to me he might be ok.
Feel for Dylan but cautious of the emotional response that someone has to pay.

TBH, all other things being equal, it's outrageous that Cotchin is allowed to play based on precedent and the current rules. But it's a GF and the AFL's gonna do what they're gonna do.

No malice in it, but it was a critical moment in the game and it would've been easy to crack the shits and sabotage us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH, all other things being equal, it's outrageous that Cotchin is allowed to play based on precedent and the current rules. But it's a GF and the AFL's gonna do what they're gonna do.

No malice in it, but it was a critical moment in the game and it would've been easy to crack the shits and sabotage us.
I dont think that's Leon. I remember him getting stuck into Adam Cooney in 2015 over a tackle on Cogs. I've also seen him defend oppo players publicly. I think he'll call it as he sees it.
But yeah I like his integrity.

If it had have been Toby on Cotchin the media would have been calling for the death sentence and the MRP would have obliged.

Total double standards
Hate to have to agree because it sounds like sore-losing but you are so right. Someone with priors. While they say intent for the ball incidental contact resulting in concussion has been paid out as suspension all year.
Not in their report but I heard that the Astbury contact on Shiel meant that the concussion couldn't be assigned to Cotchin or Astbury, so how does that equal them both getting off? One of them caused the concussion.
The Ellis bump on Whitfield? Also disregarded.
Tigers fans on this board always welcome. They were great.

I'm not sure the umpiring decided the game though. If it was a 6 point loss like last year we could maybe be discussing that. But we were totally outclassed in the 2nd half fair and square. That was the difference.

However I agree with the issues you mention with Shaw and mummy etc.

I think the Giants and Geelong may become destination clubs for a couple more years as they keep making prelims and falling short. I think the Johnsons and delideos and Mitchell's may have started a trend and we may see this happening a lot more as players bear the end of their career.

But I think the giants may look at trading a few people out to get more needs filled.

However I think reaching a prelim with the injuries we had this year is a ginormous effort. If they can keep the same team on the park next year they will be scary.

The team on Sat just had not played enough together

I feel like it all compounded. Momentum interruptions plus the loss of Shiel, too great.
We'll be there again next year.
I'm sure I'll feel the pain on the weekend but it will pass.

Bad luck guys, I can only imagine what a s**t thing it would be to go through and I'm sure it will be hard watching him run around this weekend.

Blame the AFL not us. If it was the other way around and you guys were in a GF im sure your players would have been cleared of any MRP trouble as well.

I already had a soft spot when Lids left to join you guys and now being ripped off i hope success isnt to far away for you guys and if your not playing Richmond I will barrack for your mob.

Bad luck guys, I can only imagine what a s**t thing it would be to go through and I'm sure it will be hard watching him run around this weekend.

Blame the AFL not us. If it was the other way around and you guys were in a GF im sure your players would have been cleared of any MRP trouble as well.

I already had a soft spot when Lids left to join you guys and now being ripped off i hope success isnt to far away for you guys and if your not playing Richmond I will barrack for your mob.
I don't think a lot of the people on this forum aim blame at the Tigers. It's the inconsistency of the MRP.
What happens next year if people bring in bruisers to actually take out a player knowing that it may be overlooked?
Someone I work with said to me last Friday, "what you should do is bring in a player to dump Martin."
I hope our game doesn't get to that.

I know I'm a bit late to the thread and not here to troll...didn't see much of the game as was on a family outing :(. However I did see 5-10 minutes at the end of the first quarter and was pleased to see that you'd started well and had momentum but couldn't believe Patton's lack of composure to play on after he'd taken that mark. That just let all of the air out of the balloon. Not only was Patton to blame but Greene shouldn't have called for it and presumably anyone around him should have been yelling at him to hold the ball. Can't say it cost the game but it seemed symbolic of a player/team just not quite ready for the big stage.

I'm sure you'll be back again so good luck for next year.

I know I'm a bit late to the thread and not here to troll...didn't see much of the game as was on a family outing :(. However I did see 5-10 minutes at the end of the first quarter and was pleased to see that you'd started well and had momentum but couldn't believe Patton's lack of composure to play on after he'd taken that mark. That just let all of the air out of the balloon. Not only was Patton to blame but Greene shouldn't have called for it and presumably anyone around him should have been yelling at him to hold the ball. Can't say it cost the game but it seemed symbolic of a player/team just not quite ready for the big stage.

I'm sure you'll be back again so good luck for next year.
Yeah, a real head scratching moment there for everyone

Yes and no.
Yes, the AFL is to blame.
No, if it was the other way round, the baying from 90,000 unhappy Tigers fans would have had a (slightly supported) Giants player rubbed out. It was fear of a massive media and supporter backlash that let Cotchin off. It's a conspiracy!!

We got stage fright early, rallied, and fought back in to the contest. Losing Shiel was always going to hurt. We got some bull crap umpiring decisions in our favour - although they were in our defensive 50. They had some bull crap decisions but they were in their forward 50. Simply put the better team won on the night.

I just put up a post on the Tigers board re: my experience on the night. Their fans are the (second) best in the league. God I hope they win this Saturday.

We got stage fright early, rallied, and fought back in to the contest. Losing Shiel was always going to hurt. We got some bull crap umpiring decisions in our favour - although they were in our defensive 50. They had some bull crap decisions but they were in their forward 50. Simply put the better team won on the night.

I just put up a post on the Tigers board re: my experience on the night. Their fans are the (second) best in the league. God I hope they win this Saturday.
If you don't me posting on your board...I thought your team was the better team in the first half. You guys produce great passages of football. So you have the skills. Ball movement was superb.
I don't think Lids did enough & Stevie J was a bit unlucky. He was dangerous but couldn't quite finish his work. The late bump by Grimes on Himmelburg should have been a 50m penalty. Lucky Himmelb. kicked straight. Losing Shiel was huge & Cotch deserved a suspension but Melbourne town is so psycho, and the Richmond fairy tale meant that if there was a shadow of doubt there is no way a key player is going to get rubbed out before the granny. The best thing would have been for Stevie J or Toby Greene to snot Cotch and even it up.
You have a great backline, great captain, your talls Patton & Lobbe played well. Another year of experience going deep in finals won't hurt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back