Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that had me scratching my head was that we went into the quarter time huddle with all the momentum and came out after the break deliberately slowing down the play with dinky little kicks backwards in the backline ,eventually kicking high to contests on the wing . It seemed to me the tactic was we've got the lead,let's conserve some energy for a while by really slowing the play down

It backfired because we never got the momentum back. After that our forward entries were far too slow for the rest of the night.

Thought Berry was much better last night but he's kicking for goal this year has been dreadful. He use to be such a reliable shot.

Rayner really showed some glimpses last night of what he is capable of doing in the coming years. However he really needs to slow down when kicking for goal. He tries to do everything too fast and lacks composure. That will improve in time.

Witherden was very poor and looks half a yard of the pace. I do worry about him if he is this slow at his age. If you're not quick you need to be a great kick which he can be and you need to be tough which he isn't.

McCarthy also needs to lift. Been very poor for a month.

I'm not saying richmond were dreadful but our terrible inaccuracy in front of goal was a major factor IMO. And they made us pay with their cleaner disposal (and the fact that they kept their feet while we couldn't stay upright)
That was one of the things that left me scratching my head.... on our own ground how were we the ones struggling to keep our feet and slipping over so much? The Tiggers didn't seem to have anywhere near as much trouble....

Also the amount of times when Lions players ended up taking each other out in the contest.... Communication must not have been great out there at times....

That was one of the things that left me scratching my head.... on our own ground how were we the ones struggling to keep our feet and slipping over so much? The Tiggers didn't seem to have anywhere near as much trouble....

Also the amount of times when Lions players ended up taking each other out in the contest.... Communication must not have been great out there at times....
Answerth and Adams colliding will haunt my dreams this week

Can we also tidy up the game so we aren't making it so hard for umpires to do their job. How and why has so much holding, throwing, scragging and downright cheating become part of the game.
They've gotta do something but they have created a monster with all of the rules and reliance on interpretations. In the back/forceful front on/ high contact are all just a few that need to be cleared up in the rules.

Prior opportunity, genuine attempt, deliberate, sufficient pressure are all subjective and each team coach seems to have been managing different conversations about what the umps think is ok for each team which is a systemic issue

Fair call was a harsh response, thinking I at the top end of the rage. 🤙

Understand mate, that's usually me too. We all just want the same thing.

The positive thing is.. I don't really think we were expected to beat Richmond and the margin doesen't matter, it's just a loss in finals, so we are were we thought we would be.. 1 win away from a prelim final! Let's go!

I think people are a bit naive to put this loss down to just our goal kicking and apparent poor umpiring.

Yes, we were hopeless in front of goal and yes there were some decisions which they got wrong BUT..

Richmond is a seriously bloody good football team. Watching them live two weeks in a row it’s clear to see they’re a class above the rest of the competition. They cut teams up from their back half and they just seem to have “smarter” footballers out there.

How many times last night instead of taking possession did they just keep moving the ball their way with dinky little taps or knock ons as opposed to us who always seem to take possession and get tackled straight away? Instead of creating a chaos ball inside for Charlie and co we are held up and let the opposition set up again. Hodge seems to be the only one from our team who understands how to do this.

Yeah their accuracy was unreal but it’s not hard to be accurate when your kicking the goal from under the goal umpires nose.

Last edited:
As a key position forward he provides very little that any other player of his size and level of motivation couldn’t provide. He is a Full Forward who kicks less than a goal a game. His lack of kicking accuracy is also a momentum killer.
When he kicked his goal last night the positivity around before and after was great and I think fans are just staggered that he can then go back and spray that behind in the way that he did, not a little, a lot wide from an easy angle and distance. I don't know if it was momentum sapping for the team, this year at least with the journey the tEam is on, bUT if our system is to advance our midfield needs to be able to trust him and he therefore needs to do something differently to improve to where he is consistently scoring 2-3 goals a game as well as all the rest of his role.

I think some of the expectations around Adams is a little high. He showed what he’s capable of against Hawkins but despite being a mature ager he only played his 36th game last night. Even Rayner has played more games. He still has a lot to learn.

Dizzy and Andrews had bad nights by their standards. Sometimes I think Witherden confuses poise for being slow. Rich too was solid without being great. Answerth was reasonable and would’ve learnt a lot.

Still can’t believe the negativity. The scoreboard is not a reflection of the general play. If umpiring had been better we could’ve been 2 goals closer and if McStay, McCarthy, Cameron, Rayner, McInerney and McCluggage hadn’t missed very easy shots on goals we wouldn’t have dropped our bundle in the second half and they might’ve had to play Dusty in the middle and it would’ve been very different.

I think some of the expectations around Adams is a little high. He showed what he’s capable of against Hawkins but despite being a mature ager he only played his 36th game last night. Even Rayner has played more games. He still has a lot to learn.

Dizzy and Andrews had bad nights by their standards. Sometimes I think Witherden confuses poise for being slow. Rich too was solid without being great. Answerth was reasonable and would’ve learnt a lot.
Agree on all points . Adams wasn't that bad last night. As a whole our backline wasn't as good as they have been but weren't a factor in us losing the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that had me scratching my head was that we went into the quarter time huddle with all the momentum and came out after the break deliberately slowing down the play with dinky little kicks backwards in the backline ,eventually kicking high to contests on the wing . It seemed to me the tactic was we've got the lead,let's conserve some energy for a while by really slowing the play down

It backfired because we never got the momentum back. After that our forward entries were far too slow for the rest of the night.
When hipwood pushes up and takes a mark in space we never got any opportunifies to run into goal on the burst, Richmond were a step ahead

Time for Josh Walker.

Hell Josh Walker would be more consistent than our key forwards if brought in. Hipwood has been equally as bad as Adams in the past two games.

Josh walker would have got absolutely slaughtered when left 1 on 1 againts the Tigers talls. The stuff of nightmares.

He is a good intercept marker but the way the ball was coming in with no resistance, that wasn't really on offer.

Thought this too. I think coaches said, "ok.. now let's settle into our game style'.. because we didn't get blown out early.

Josh walker would have got absolutely slaughtered when left 1 on 1 againts the Tigers talls. The stuff of nightmares.

He is a good intercept marker but the way the ball was coming in with no resistance, that wasn't really on offer.

Richmond’s quick ball movement would’ve left Walker with nowhere to hide in the backline.

Richmond’s quick ball movement would’ve left Walker with nowhere to hide in the backline.
Behind a goalpost?

Disclaimer for professional outrage merchants: This is tongue in cheek. It can be applied to hiding anyone in our backline.

Quite a fair bit of negativity here. Yep it's disappointing. But let's flip the scenario here.
The best way I can describe this game is like the 2004 qualifying final against St Kilda at the gabba but flipped. A young impressive team finishes in the top 4 but gets shown up week 1 by stalwarts of finals the lions.
This is a young team on the big stage we have 5 players in the under 22 team.
We will bounce back, we beat Gws then we have a crack at a prelim at the mcg. More pressure environment experience.
We will add to this roster in the off-season and again be better for it. We then have another crack.
Richmond are in their golden period. Last year showed how difficult it is to back it up even for a class team such as theirs.

Mcluggage, witherdern, hipwood, Andrews, rayner, Berry all will gain invaluable experience.
Cameron, zorko, McCarthy, needed to be bette
Hodge and Rich .... wowee!
There's more to come from this group.

Still can’t believe the negativity. The scoreboard is not a reflection of the general play. If umpiring had been better we could’ve been 2 goals closer and if McStay, McCarthy, Cameron, Rayner, McInerney and McCluggage hadn’t missed very easy shots on goals we wouldn’t have dropped our bundle in the second half and they might’ve had to play Dusty in the middle and it would’ve been very different.

Agree. Yes the tigers were cleaner with disposal but if we had kicked all of our behinds, or, even half of them, our confidence would have been sky high and

we would have had the psychological edge. We would have beaten them quite easily. Our stats have us being the better team. If we clean up our kicking for

goal we are going to beat gws. As for the umpiring.......we are not a favourite child of the AFL so that is the one factor that we can't really control but even

poor umpiring is not necessarily going to lose you the game.

One thing I don't get is the love for Walker. He's an honest second stringer at best . The obvious move last night was to swap Adams and McStay . McStay is far better in the backline in my view where he doesn't have to worry about the yips. Adams is a good player trying to find his niche. He's actually quite quick and could provide the leading option we lack.

I haven't woken up feeling as bad as i thought about the loss. Im actually encouraged, ive got a real satisfaction for our season all ready. Win, lose or draw its been great and everything now is a bonus one way or another. If we just converted a third more of those behinds its a 2 goal game. We gained valuable finals experience as players and as a team. We were able to gain dominance over a very very good team for good parts of the game. We gotta remember richmond have guns all over the park, and they have another gear they can easily rise to. Our best is very good but at this early stage in the teams success, we just dont have the game to match richmond, collingwood ( i really hate admitting that), and a fully fit eagles. Not yet. Not far away.

Hipwood looks like he is nursing his injured knee from the gws game tbh.

Needs a rest.

Mcstay 3 goals in 8 games not good enough for a key forward

Back