Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

fugitive

Aug 3, 2002
I blame channel 7 for the Richmond love fest they showed. And it was....let's cross to richo again

To be fair, the media has been flattering the Lions almost all year with praises for what we have been able to achieve and our “fairytale” season as well, there’s always a bit of bias towards the Melbourne powerhouse clubs and their big support group, even the smaller Victorian clubs have to deal with it.

I would prefer to let our footy do the talking next Saturday!

Apr 4, 2015
upon watching the Hipwood one there, I agree there was probably some arm or leg between the ground and the ball as he slides, but there is a point it appears dispossessed - I can forgive the ump in real time for thinking it bobbled out.
I can too if he was blindsided. My point is he maybe didn't know so he didn't pay it . There were countless others where he didn't know but always gave the Tigers the benefit of the doubt. Exhibit A being the Grimes stage. He wasn't even looking at it . Pathetic panic reaction decision at a crucial stage and he should be dropped for that

CarterS

Jun 14, 2001
Lions
Imagine getting on plane to Melb today for business or something, and the pilot starts singing the Richmond song over the PA (There's a video of it on Twitter). Reckon I would "deplane" and walk to Melb.

Oct 13, 2001
Lions
Even more incredulous that Hardwick didn't think Grimes dived:

Yeah, Damien, the game is hard enough when the opposition blatantly cheat with staging, throwing and the list goes on. :rolleyes: :drunk:

Body language is a dead giveaway though.

Puts his hands over his face before speaking, doesn't address the issue at all but instead rambles on about how hard the game is, just let them play, something.....something. Looks really uncomfortable while speaking and squirms a lot.

In fairness to him, what coach would pan one of his players at a presser? So he really has no option but to wear the grilling and try to deflect as much as he can.

Hardwick was a tough, uncompromising player and I think in reality he would have found Grimes' monumental dive pretty distasteful.

He has to "defend" his player to the press but in private I reckon he might have told Grimes not to do it again. At least I hope so.

SRH17

Dec 19, 2013
So now we have Shane Edwards coming out and saying that our inaccuracy in the first quarter worked against Richmond because they couldn’t get the ball out of our forward 50. If we had kicked a goal then they would have been able to whisk the ball forward and kick more goals themselves. The arrogance of this club is painful.

It's a really funny statement for him to make, because on one hand it's saying their midfield is vastly better than ours, but on the other hand it's saying that same midfield isn't good enough to break through our defensive zone.

So, yeah. Which is it?

It's a really funny statement for him to make, because on one hand it's saying their midfield is vastly better than ours, but on the other hand it's saying that same midfield isn't good enough to break through our defensive zone.

So, yeah. Which is it?

I thought Ellis' comments were a fair representation of the game.

Edwards on the other hand.

Tassie4ever

Dec 7, 2007
we have no choice for the remainder of 2019 we have to persist with him, but come trade period we really need to recruit an accomplished KPF.

He is 25yo. He has been in the system for 6 years. He has been tried back and forward.

He should be in his football prime. He is still very much the subject of debate.

The best case anyone can mount for McStay's retention in his current role is that he is decoy forward, and/or that he brings the ball to ground in the contest so that others benefit. He does not regularly kick goals although many argue that he is on the brink of a bag. This argument has been used for some time.

It can certainly be argued that we have been very successful this year with our current forward structure. Whether it's good enough to go further is very debatable IMHO.

How anyone can sink the boots into Mcstay after a good game is beyond me. Most contested marks and score assists. Also did a lot of clearing work which Charlie couldn't capitalise on and worked his ass off to stop intercept marks.

It's seriously ridiculous and embarassing.

Apr 4, 2015
He is 25yo. He has been in the system for 6 years. He has been tried back and forward.

He should be in his football prime. He is still very much the subject of debate.

The best case anyone can mount for McStay's retention in his current role is that he is decoy forward, and/or that he brings the ball to ground in the contest so that others benefit. He does not regularly kick goals although many argue that he is on the brink of a bag. This argument has been used for some time.

It can certainly be argued that we have been very successful this year with our current forward structure. Whether it's good enough to go further is very debatable IMHO.
He's been given a role which generally he plays well, because that's what he can do , and unfortunately it's too hard to get the soda misses out of our heads.

He's just a classic defender in my view. Has the build and the leap , a generally very good field kick , plenty of pace for a big guy,a straight ahead player who would steam out of defence.

It's been obvious to me for years . I guess I'm wrong and he's a forward but I just can't see it . We're sacrificing his best assets for the sake of the team is the best spin I could put on it.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
So now we have Shane Edwards coming out and saying that our inaccuracy in the first quarter worked against Richmond because they couldn’t get the ball out of our forward 50. If we had kicked a goal then they would have been able to whisk the ball forward and kick more goals themselves. The arrogance of this club is painful.

Jumping at shadows there. It was clearly a compliment to Brisbane.

"They completely took us out of what we wanted to do and we couldn't get it out of our 50. We almost needed them to kick a goal so we could reset but they kept kicking points so we couldn't get it out."

Edwards would be the least egotistical person at the club. It's like calling e.g. Shaun Hart arrogant.

Jumping at shadows there. It was clearly a compliment to Brisbane.

"They completely took us out of what we wanted to do and we couldn't get it out of our 50. We almost needed them to kick a goal so we could reset but they kept kicking points so we couldn't get it out."

Edwards would be the least egotistical person at the club. It's like calling e.g. Shaun Hart arrogant.

Clearly you never met Shaun "should have won 3 Brownlows" Hart.

Apr 4, 2015
Some here keep talking about recruiting or throwing money at " a gun key forward".

Specifically, who are we plucking from the Gun Key Forward tree?

Names please.
Great point.

I got excited when it seemed like Daniher might be available but in reality never gunna happen.

They don't grow on trees . I think we look at our list and see if there's anyone there we think can be developed into the role or make the best of what we have if there's no one around/available who would improve our list with the requisite potential longevity.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Clearly you never met Shaun "should have won 3 Brownlows" Hart.

source.gif

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
QLDer
Some here keep talking about recruiting or throwing money at " a gun key forward".

Specifically, who are we plucking from the Gun Key Forward tree?

Names please.
Neale didn’t seem available 15 months ago.

Not the A-grader I believe we need up top, but Hugh Greenwood could be a worthwhile acquisition.

Oct 13, 2001
Lions
How anyone can sink the boots into Mcstay after a good game is beyond me. Most contested marks and score assists. Also did a lot of clearing work which Charlie couldn't capitalise on and worked his ass off to stop intercept marks.

It's seriously ridiculous and embarassing.

I find it galling how there are those who want to highlight his missed shots at goal, as though he's the only offender in this area.

How many of those 17 behinds was McStay responsible for last night?. I thought it was 1 only.

Moreover, he's not the only one who misses "sodas"....Charlie had a really bad patch earlier in the season with a few sodas of his own and Linc after not missing for ages earlier in the season, also seems to have developed the yips lately, notwithstanding that heroic mark and goal against the Cats.

It gives me the Sh!ts, the constant carping about certain players, as if the armchair critics around here have insights that our coaches and selection committee don't.

We won 16 out of 22 games this season and finished second on the ladder.....Second!! . It almost seems surreal considering where we came from. If Fages says McStay and Rayner and whoever else are playing the role he's asked them to, I'm prepared to accept that and get behind the 22 who are out there.

That's what I'll be doing next week too.

Apr 4, 2015
I find it galling how there are those who want to highlight his missed shots at goal, as though he's the only offender in this area.

How many of those 17 behinds was McStay responsible for last night?. I thought it was 1 only.

Moreover, he's not the only one who misses "sodas"....Charlie had a really bad patch earlier in the season with a few sodas of his own and Linc after not missing for ages earlier in the season, also seems to have developed the yips lately, notwithstanding that heroic mark and goal against the Cats.

It gives me the Sh!ts, the constant carping about certain players, as if the armchair critics around here have insights that our coaches and selection committee don't.

We won 16 out of 22 games this season and finished second on the ladder.....Second!! . It almost seems surreal considering where we came from. If Fages says McStay and Rayner and whoever else are playing the role he's asked them to, I'm prepared to accept that and get behind the 22 who are out there.

That's what I'll be doing next week too.
I just think it's frustration Luthor that he's not a gun dead eye forward when clearly he never could be and as you say he's the best option we have for the role which in my view he generally does well.

Btw Toby Greene referred straight to tribunal for serious misconduct ,eye gouge on Bont.

LethalLions

Jul 30, 2006
gabbatoir
Aust Cricket Team, Broncs
We lost our first final in 2003 and went on to win.

Gws should be winnable but hard but they are all hard...then Collingwood.

Everything that could go wrong did so I am still optimistic.

We were by far the better team to half time.

Young players get frustrated when they're doing the right thing and not getting rewarded.

Fagan and co will take them through the vision and show the stuff they did in the first half and not the second, and they'll learn plenty.

Right now we're capable of playing somewhere between a quarter and a half of our absolute best footy. Maybe next year it'll be a half to three quarters. Maybe more after that.

Obviously the signs aren't great for the rest of the finals series for us but the future still looks bright.