Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
upon watching the Hipwood one there, I agree there was probably some arm or leg between the ground and the ball as he slides, but there is a point it appears dispossessed - I can forgive the ump in real time for thinking it bobbled out.
Yeah, but the umpire guessed and erred in Richmond’s favour. I’m sure he would’ve given all Richmond players the benefit of the doubt, just as they guessed/assumed Martin’s throw was a hand pass, Bundy ducked despite having his head ripped off or Hipwood hit Grimes with such force that it warranted a reversal. Pretty common theme here.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zorko and Grimes receive the same fine :(

I thought Zorko's was a bit silly to do, if its the one I think, it was a pretty light elbow thrown to his back in congestion?

Greene may be out for our match.. eye gouging is nasty business....

Grimes is a flat out cheat.

Pretty much. Look at his incredulous expression after that early Cameron free kick, that he knew, and everyone knew, was a genuine free kick.

But to be fair, the absolute best defenders are the ones who can cheat a little and get away with it.

Good game guys and the lions were amazing in the first half

Hope we meet you guys in the GF

Good luck

Great sentiment.

Right now honestly I hope we meet one of Geelong or West Coast in the GF.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
My favourites are the dancers wearing grey busting out the robot mime every week.Outstanding stuff that.
Or the mc yelling for the crowd to make some noise while the music is blaring and no amount of crowd noise is going to be heard anyway.

Gah! All so terrible....although it could be worse, we could have cheerleaders the way they do in league.

Good game guys and the lions were amazing in the first half

Hope we meet you guys in the GF

Good luck
I bet you do. I would too if I wa s Richmond supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Disgraceful effort tonight.

We’re like a deer in the headlights when we play on the big stage.

Hate to think how much we’ll get pumped by Collingwood in the unlikely event we beat GWS.
I don't know, I reckon other than inaccuracy you blokes looked alright. Especially for a younger side with not as much total finals experience. I reckon you'll beat GWS. Always hard to tell how collingwood will play but by God do I hope you boys ******* thrash them.

Lions should be better for the loss I think.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Really hope wce or cats knock richm out. They are detestable and didnt channel 7 love the tiges getting up!

Mcstays miss was unforgivable for a bloke that has been in the system for years. Also Andrew's was either playing injured or was right off as his body language was at times bad. Expect better.

Also please can the players wear studs not moulds as we had a lot of players go to ground. Need to keep their feet
Thread on the Richmond board talking about Ch7 was blatantly barracking for Brisbane. I said it to them and I'll say it again, every supporter thinks their team is hard done by and ever supporter is basically always off the mark. The sooner we as footy fans can think beyond our bubble, the sooner we can get more enjoyment out of the game and focus on what our teams did right without feeling like we are being constantly worked against.

Brisbane. Even with an inaccurate night and a loss, the lions are achieving things a lot of other clubs would kill for. Richmond were s**t for the longest time and now we are doing alright and there are still tigers fans crying like we are in the bottom four. Don't be like that. Focus on what went right. Be proud.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Thread on the Richmond board talking about Ch7 was blatantly barracking for Brisbane. I said it to them and I'll say it again, every supporter thinks their team is hard done by and ever supporter is basically always off the mark. The sooner we as footy fans can think beyond our bubble, the sooner we can get more enjoyment out of the game and focus on what our teams did right without feeling like we are being constantly worked against.

Brisbane. Even with an inaccurate night and a loss, the lions are achieving things a lot of other clubs would kill for. Richmond were s**t for the longest time and now we are doing alright and there are still tigers fans crying like we are in the bottom four. Don't be like that. Focus on what went right. Be proud.
All well and good for you except Richmond were always on the right end of the stick when it came down yo 50/50 calls e.g. Grimes’s cheating staging antics were rewarded with a reversal yet the same umpire #26 didn’t pay Zorko a free when he was elbowed in the back and fell to the ground or how bout the blatant Martin throw, yet Christensen’s less dubious throw was of course paid moments after having his head ripped off.

I could care less about who the commentators were going for, although it wasn’t us. They were just putrid as any channel 7 coverage usually is with Brayshaw’s incessant idiotic drivel, but I do care how shafted we were on a continuous basis.

Would any of that have changed the result; no, perhaps partly but our goalkicking was beyond terrible and most of our players time after time shat the bed, including many senior guys.

I’d like to think that if some the umps held their nerve and didn’t pay some of those frees and had paid others or not simply guessed and erred on Richmond’s behalf or that we had kicked straight throughout the first half / early third we’d have been a chance, but I honestly thought Richmond were on a different level and would’ve countered with whatever we threw up.

All moot now, but it was good to see which players have been exposed against good opposition the past three games and there are a few.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As a key position forward he provides very little that any other player of his size and level of motivation couldn’t provide. He is a Full Forward who kicks less than a goal a game. His lack of kicking accuracy is also a momentum killer.
We know you have no time for McStay. Can you just give it a miss from now on. Getting boring and painful.

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I just think it's frustration Luthor that he's not a gun dead eye forward when clearly he never could be and as you say he's the best option we have for the role which in my view he generally does well.

Btw Toby Greene referred straight to tribunal for serious misconduct ,eye gouge on Bont.
He'll miss a week for sure if sent straight to the tribunal.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think even though a home game as AFL does tickets would of been almost 50-50 supporter wise
And Tigers supporters go hard. I know a few who travelled and paid the $ for airfare.
Not sure it was as much of a home final then we think it was.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He'll miss a week for sure if sent straight to the tribunal.
he will get off AFL do not like rubbing good players out in finals
Look at Nic Nat throwing someone into a fence did.

McGovern got a week and was in play, where Nic Nat was deliberate.
Yes Guelfi got concussion although Nic Nat far more dangerous and deliberate

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So how to you explain Clarko and Bolts having breakfast with Fages this morning?
It must have been an early breakfast i can tell you. We were on the 6.20am flight out of Brisbane sunday morning and bolton was on our flight.
And by the way thank you to some of the richmond supporters on the plane giving us a bit of ribbing. Seriously 6.00am in the morning. We were in row 27 and entered by the back door so we only had to travel 5 aisles and by the time we sat down we heard to us "was a game of footy on at the gabba last night i must have missed it, charlie who, go bears", before we even sat down. Seriously i know every team has them but some of these people are so arrogant and up themselves all over a game of footy. Gracious winners don't exist anymore.
Luckily after only 5 minutes of flying we had some really bad turbulance for a minute or so which shut them up for the rest of the flight.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It must have been an early breakfast i can tell you. We were on the 6.20am flight out of Brisbane sunday morning and bolton was on our flight.
And by the way thank you to some of the richmond supporters on the plane giving us a bit of ribbing. Seriously 6.00am in the morning. We were in row 27 and entered by the back door so we only had to travel 5 aisles and by the time we sat down we heard to us "was a game of footy on at the gabba last night i must have missed it, charlie who, go bears", before we even sat down. Seriously i know every team has them but some of these people are so arrogant and up themselves all over a game of footy. Gracious winners don't exist anymore.
Luckily after only 5 minutes of flying we had some really bad turbulance for a minute or so which shut them up for the rest of the flight.

Worse than Collingwood supporters. I think the whole of Australia will be barracking for whoever plays against them the following weekend.

Back