Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's probably been said a million times already but we lost because we kicked ourselves out of it not because the tigers were so devastatingly good that they stopped us from scoring. I still see this year as a success but geez.......I want to get really buzzy with excitement not feel this, for want of a better way to put it, flat indifference. What's wrong with me??

Sooner Rayner gets more time in the middle the better.

Next year we should be trying the likes of Payne Ballenden et al in the forward line to see what they can do.
Agree Cam needs a hard pre season and then he can influence games with more opportunities and become the player we all hope for. I am a little worried re opportunities for Payne and Ballenden as Fagan was instrumental re adams who has a 3 or 4 year deal on reasonably good coin and hippy and McStay have extended on you can safely say more money than the younger players .Next week is a concern GWS have a vgood tager who will go to our most dangerous mid

Something I notice that hurts our accuracy is an insistence on taking low-percentage shots from the boundary, rather than finding targets with a better angle on goal. That's partly due to our younger players like Rayner and McCluggage backing themselves, perhaps unwisely, but they will learn from that. The bigger issue is that our players in better positions aren't leading. I noticed against Geelong and again last night that some of them are just standing around disinterested and assuming the set shot will be taken, rather than pushing for the ball.

Day after summary; We lost, but we are still in the finals!

I had concerns in that second quarter when the misses started to mount. Can't not take your chances against a veteran finals team like the Tigers. Just wasn't our night - even the ball bounce was against us all night.

I think the expectations were a bit high from the fan base. We are not quite a top 4 team yet, but this experience in finals will be so valuable for the development of our young team. If we can get three finals games including a prelim at the MCG in our first serious finals campaign in 15 years will be a huge win in my book.

Zorko - 0.3
Robinson - 0.3
Berry - 0.2

oUr fORwArdS bAD KIckInG cOSt uS
You raise a good point, but you also have to ask, why were our mids taking so many shots? I put that down to the forwards not leading, making space or clunking marks.

All 8 were probably from 50m out and/or within 5m of the boundary line.
And why were we taking so many shots from poor positions? This happened against Geelong too. Teams are forcing us out wide in the knowledge that our forwards aren't leading through the centre and we will settle for low percentage shots.

Very inaccurate kicking. And some truly woeful umpiring.
Also their better quality i50s by way of their handball chains through the middle vs our kicking around the boundary. Their intercept marking was phenomenal and helped launch so many attacks into their wide open fwd line.

The narrative of inaccuracy and umpiring is under selling the premiership favourites a bit.

You raise a good point, but you also have to ask, why were our mids taking so many shots? I put that down to the forwards not leading, making space or clunking marks.

And why were we taking so many shots from poor positions? This happened against Geelong too. Teams are forcing us out wide in the knowledge that our forwards aren't leading through the centre and we will settle for low percentage shots.

Slow ball movement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah as much as I love the Mcstay and Hipwood combo I reckon we’ll go for another key forward. Mcstay is probably expendable at this point unfortunately.
As a key position forward he provides very little that any other player of his size and level of motivation couldn’t provide. He is a Full Forward who kicks less than a goal a game. His lack of kicking accuracy is also a momentum killer.

Disappointed in last night though loved the first quarter, and it seems apparent to me that during the off season we may need to reconsider trialling Harris as a forward. Either McStay plays defence or we bring young Jack Payne in to play on the giant forwards. Hipwood of course will get stronger but needs to.

Am rapt in the season we've had but need to find improvement somewhere to keep contending.

Disappointed in last night though loved the first quarter, and it seems apparent to me that during the off season we may need to reconsider trialling Harris as a forward. Either McStay plays defence or we bring young Jack Payne in to play on the giant forwards. Hipwood of course will get stronger but needs to.

Am rapt in the season we've had but need to find improvement somewhere to keep contending.

Play all Australian key back in the forward line of the highest scoring team in the AFL....

Also their better quality i50s by way of their handball chains through the middle vs our kicking around the boundary. Their intercept marking was phenomenal and helped launch so many attacks into their wide open fwd line.

The narrative of inaccuracy and umpiring is under selling the premiership favourites a bit.

I'm not saying richmond were dreadful but our terrible inaccuracy in front of goal was a major factor IMO. And they made us pay with their cleaner disposal (and the fact that they kept their feet while we couldn't stay upright)

Payne is a good kick, maybe we should try him up forward. Ben King and Naughton used to be defenders too.

It’s great that we’re playing 2 finals and hopefully at least 3 this year. Winning premierships is more than a one year project and we’re way ahead of where we thought we’d be at this time last year. One finals win would make for a fantastic year. We have turned around contested possessions and centre clearances were also good last night. Our defensive run is still an area of improvement for mine and I thought we looked slow against their fast movement out of defence. Keeping your feet in the contest is vital to defending against speed and I think we go to ground too often for an elite team. It’s one area we really need to work on all over the ground, if you can’t chase because you’re on the deck it leads to a snowball effect that ramps up the pressure downfield and their overlap run killed us. Despite our kicking, letting them kick 18 goals is not good team defence and their accuracy suggests a lack of pressure, perceived or actual. We need to fix this against Beer, wine and spirits who move the ball very well and run to support each other. We can beat them if we bring our best defensive game and a much more efficient attacking effort. They have Whitfield back this time who we need to stop. Looking forward to the opportunity next week that we’ve earned and deserve.

Play all Australian key back in the forward line of the highest scoring team in the AFL....

I think when you watch Richmond's key position forwards operate its pretty clear that we could do better in that regard, even if right now we're the best scoring team in the competition.

I still don't think our forwards lead enough. Maybe that's deliberate to create the chaos ball for our small forwards, but I reckon we need something extra down there for nights like last night when things just weren't working.

Ultimately it is a function of team effort though. Richmond surged it and got it into their forward line quicker by running harder. Couple of ways it can be fixed.

Finally though, a forward line that only works when the midfield is dominating will eventually get shown up in the really high quality matches, sometimes you need a forward that can create chances out of s**t entries. We're talking pointy end improvements now to win a grand final.

Man, so many arsehole tigers fans. Last game was bad but put it down to some Bogan gold coasters, but today's fans have been fu**heads. Blokes just gave it to me - whatever, I'm a man - but then gave a serve to a kid and other fans laughed . The kidn looked like he was going to cry.

Disgusting fan base.

Agree. Shabby fanbase for a ******* shabby little club.

Certainly the umpires didn't cost us the game and I never check to see who is umpiring our games but I was a little downcast when I noticed "The bald headed flog" walking out. Two decisions early were really poor, the holding the ball against Rich and reversal against Hippy. Good umpires just don't fall for that. Hopefully we won't see any of the umpires from last night again this season. The loss of Robbo will be almost impossible to cover but we just have to pick ourselves up and come out against a team we are certainly capable beating. Go Lions!!!!

Back