Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I find it galling how there are those who want to highlight his missed shots at goal, as though he's the only offender in this area.

How many of those 17 behinds was McStay responsible for last night?. I thought it was 1 only.

Moreover, he's not the only one who misses "sodas"....Charlie had a really bad patch earlier in the season with a few sodas of his own and Linc after not missing for ages earlier in the season, also seems to have developed the yips lately, notwithstanding that heroic mark and goal against the Cats.

It gives me the Sh!ts, the constant carping about certain players, as if the armchair critics around here have insights that our coaches and selection committee don't.

We won 16 out of 22 games this season and finished second on the ladder.....Second!! . It almost seems surreal considering where we came from. If Fages says McStay and Rayner and whoever else are playing the role he's asked them to, I'm prepared to accept that and get behind the 22 who are out there.

That's what I'll be doing next week too.
Agree 100%. After watching the game live and then the replay this morning, I counted 8 times that we burned our key forwards and took the wrong option when in attack. There are many who say our forwards don't make space and dont give the ball holder a target to kick to inside our 50 arc ..... I am certain that wasn't the case on Saturday night. Our key forwards have done a terrific job this season and should be appreciated not criticised as such.
When Charlie is on a hot streak, we should do everything we can to clear space for him. That being said, he was clearly being managed by Richmond to stop his dominance yet we still didn't use our other options properly when they were there to use. Frustrating to watch but as you say Luthor, We won 16 out of 22 games this season and finished second on the ladder.....Second!! & WE ARE PLAYING FINALS FOOTY FFS!!!
No doubt they have learned from the mistakes of Saturday night and will soon start to prepare for our next challenge with GWS.

GO LIONS!!!

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
I watched the GWS v Dogs game with a fair bit of interest because, while I'm first and foremost a Tiger, I contributed money as a foundation member to get GWS off the ground. GWS brought a new level of physical aggression to the contest that clearly surprised and confounded the Dogs. However, the Lions aren't strangers to physical intimidation either so I can't see a repeat of that approach producing the same result as it did for the Dogs. Furthermore, if Greene gets at least 1 week at the Tribunal, I see that in some way balancing your loss of Robinson. Whatever, I suspect Fagan has plans in place and fully expect your team to win by at least 5 goals. Then the fun really begins.

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
he will get off AFL do not like rubbing good players out in finals
Look at Nic Nat throwing someone into a fence did.

McGovern got a week and was in play, where Nic Nat was deliberate.
Yes Guelfi got concussion although Nic Nat far more dangerous and deliberate
"Access All Areas" suggesting Greene will only get a fine unless Bont says there was eye gouging. So you will probably be right.

Blinky_bill

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Chins up boys and girls - focus on what's in front of you this week and put those plastics out for good.

As a Brissy local, I've been to plenty of lifeless games at the Gabba - but your supporters should be very proud of the passion and emotion you bought along on Saturday night. The boos we copped when we ran out on the ground was huge and it felt pretty hostile. I think our boys realised we weren't in Kansas any longer.

Pack out the place this week. Like we did at the G in 2017 against them, you can make it 95% lions this week and trust me, that will have an impact.

I love the way you've played this year and you've got a very healthy future.

See you in a few weeks!!

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You guys have extracted a level of consistency out of Cameron this year that I didn't think he was capable of. He had a shocker Saturday night but those kind of games are few and far between these days. At Adelaide he would put out a shocker like that in about 1 of every 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys have extracted a level of consistency out of Cameron this year that I didn't think he was capable of. He had a shocker Saturday night but those kind of games are few and far between these days. At Adelaide he would put out a shocker like that in about 1 of every 2 games.

It's also easy to forget how hard it is playing as a small forward (not to mention against the best small defender in the league).

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
he will get off AFL do not like rubbing good players out in finals
Look at Nic Nat throwing someone into a fence did.

McGovern got a week and was in play, where Nic Nat was deliberate.
Yes Guelfi got concussion although Nic Nat far more dangerous and deliberate

More I think about it makes sense with the AFL caring more about outcome than the intent. They see the Guelfi concussion as much worse despite most of the rest of us looking at the intent

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I think I just get a little defensive when people claim that Richmond get favoured by the umpires given we have spent the few years at the bottom of free kick differentials. Just feels like a kick in the teeth given it is cause for celebration if we ever win a free kick count. It's a touchy subject for tigers fans, but again, all fans think they are hard done by. Doesn't mean we are right
All well and good for you except Richmond were always on the right end of the stick when it came down yo 50/50 calls e.g. Grimes’s cheating staging antics were rewarded with a reversal yet the same umpire #26 didn’t pay Zorko a free when he was elbowed in the back and fell to the ground or how bout the blatant Martin throw, yet Christensen’s less dubious throw was of course paid moments after having his head ripped off.

I could care less about who the commentators were going for, although it wasn’t us. They were just putrid as any channel 7 coverage usually is with Brayshaw’s incessant idiotic drivel, but I do care how shafted we were on a continuous basis.

Would any of that have changed the result; no, perhaps partly but our goalkicking was beyond terrible and most of our players time after time shat the bed, including many senior guys.

I’d like to think that if some the umps held their nerve and didn’t pay some of those frees and had paid others or not simply guessed and erred on Richmond’s behalf or that we had kicked straight throughout the first half / early third we’d have been a chance, but I honestly thought Richmond were on a different level and would’ve countered with whatever we threw up.

All moot now, but it was good to see which players have been exposed against good opposition the past three games and there are a few.

More I think about it makes sense with the AFL caring more about outcome than the intent. They see the Guelfi concussion as much worse despite most of the rest of us looking at the intent
It's pretty clear that's the case (and I think they've explicitly said that), which I think is just dumb. They obviously don't care about actually eliminating dangerous behaviours if they don't punish the behaviour but only the outcome. So SO frustrating.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's pretty clear that's the case (and I think they've explicitly said that), which I think is just dumb. They obviously don't care about actually eliminating dangerous behaviours if they don't punish the behaviour but only the outcome. So SO frustrating.
unless your Teeth chatter and your not from a protected club.
GWS is AFL baby they really want then to win the GF.. really really really at least make the GF.

They’ll come hard at Neal on Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
De Boer will. None of the rest really get into that unless he finds himself too close to Greene.

unless your Teeth chatter and your not from a protected club.
GWS is AFL baby they really want then to win the GF.. really really really at least make the GF.

Ummm the outcome of Greene's actions was basically nothing, so case in point. Aside from that, Harris's suspension was definitely bullshit but GWS basically cop some amazing crap from head office. This was the head office that suspended Whitfield and stripped GWS of their first round draft pick for avoiding nothing. Stripped GWS's concessions years ahead of schedule forcing repeated dumping of players for unders to Victorian and WA clubs. Let Bont walk after fracturing Haynes' larynx. Consistently has GWS at the bottom of free kick counts. All the usual stuff that people use to boost "head office loves <club X>" claims.

2nd Lions game in a row I have gone to and come back with the flu. Damn you immune system. Wish people who are sick would stay away
You are obviously not the REAL BIG SAUCE because if you were you would have come back with gastro.

Back