Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Scoreboard did us in - so draining when the opponents cannot miss. Intensity was great but .. well they get a goal with a throw and wink / laugh. Coach will earn his wages this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would love to see Matho replace MRobbo. Let him run riot on that little grub Toby Green. Reckon he'd do a real good job of it too......and if by some strange situation;) Matho got rubbed out, well I think we'd all understand.:cool:

He just doesn’t have the endurance to go with Green.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He just doesn’t have the endurance to go with Green.

Nor the pace when needed. Hard at the ball which is what we need but no point being hard at the ball when its moving at a pace you cant keep up with. Robbo is quick and hard at it....hard to replace someone like that. Still think Bastinac or Keays will be the man.

Nor the pace when needed. Hard at the ball which is what we need but no point being hard at the ball when its moving at a pace you cant keep up with. Robbo is quick and hard at it....hard to replace someone like that. Still think Bastinac or Keays will be the man.

They both fit the endurance and contested footy boxes required.

Imo the flexibility to rotate between on the ball and on the wing will be pivotal. They'll try and beat us in contested ball but if we have a midfield group who all excel at contested ball then it'll be hard to stop us in that area.

On a side note, I didn't realise how good Choccy Neale was on the weekend until watching parts of the replay. What an absolute beast.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think I just get a little defensive when people claim that Richmond get favoured by the umpires given we have spent the few years at the bottom of free kick differentials.

Only annoying when neutrals see a game like Saturday and assert that it's been happening every week and that's why Richmond's near the top. When it happens we should acknowledge we got a good run, especially on an opposition board. Good chance it will revert to the status quo after Grimes and Martin embarrassed the umpires.

Unfortunately that ridiculous reversal early set the tone for the rest of the night.

50/50 call?.......give it to Richmond.

Can't see it properly/ out of position and have to guess?......guess in favour of Richmond.

Dusty involved in a contest?......rule in favour of Dusty.

That's my last rant about the officiating . Needed to get it out of my system though because you can bet that the AFL won't fess up to any umpiring howlers.

are you for real? lmao

the bloke had 7 free kicks against ffs

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only annoying when neutrals see a game like Saturday and assert that it's been happening every week and that's why Richmond's near the top. When it happens we should acknowledge we got a good run, especially on an opposition board. Good chance it will revert to the status quo after Grimes and Martin embarrassed the umpires.
Yeah always a different perspective if you're on the other side. What Grimes did worked obviously but it might make his life a lot harder in the future. Really quite silly , shows that he was under a lot of pressure as well as us.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah always a different perspective if you're on the other side. What Grimes did worked obviously but it might make his life a lot harder in the future. Really quite silly , shows that he was under a lot of pressure as well as us.

Sometimes players do funny things under pressure. After all the hoo-hah in the buildup Grimes would've been mortified at conceding a free to Cameron in front of goal inside three minutes. His desperation is what makes him such a good player and it was literally the only option available to prevent a score! He was suitably chastened after being shown the footage and admitted he'd staged. He now has to wear the label for a while.

Last edited:
May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

NB> Unfortunately with the AFL's new match centre being permanent (and offering half the free stats as before), centre clearances will no longer be added as they have ceased to be accessible for free by the public and have now gleefully been reclaimed Champion Data for their paid packages (along with several other formally free key stats like kicking efficiency).

Overall Summary - 30 Bounces

Neale 25
J.Lyons 22
McCluggage 21 (12w, 9i)
Zorko 20 (6w)
Robinson 18 (17w, 1i)
Bailey 17 wing
J.Berry 16 (9i, 7w)
Rayner 6
McCarthy 3
Witherden 1 wing
Cameron 1

Rucks:
Martin 16
McInenerney 14

Q1 - 8

McCluggage 8 (5i, 3w)
Robinson 7 wing
Zorko 7 (4i, 3w)
J.Lyons 7
Neale 6
Bailey 3 wing
J.Berry 1
Rayner 1

Martin 5
McInerney 3

Q2 - 5

Neale 5
Bailey 4 wing
Robinson 3 wing
McCluggage 3 (2w, 1i)
J.Lyons 3
Zorko 3
J.Berry 2 (1i, 1w)
Rayner 1
McCarthy 1

Martin 2
McInerney 3

Q3 - 10

Neale 8
Zorko 8 (5i, 3w)
Robinson 7 wing
J.Lyons 7
J.Berry 7 (4i, 3w)
McCluggage 5 (3i, 2w)
Bailey 4 wing
Rayner 2
McCarthy 1
Witherden 1 wing

McInerney 5
Martin 5

Q4 - 7

Neale 6
Bailey 6 wing
J.Berry 6 (3i, 3w)
McCluggage 5 wing
J.Lyons 5
Zorko 2
Rayner 2
Robinson 1
McCarthy 1
Cameron 1

Martin 4
McInerney 3

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They both fit the endurance and contested footy boxes required.

Imo the flexibility to rotate between on the ball and on the wing will be pivotal. They'll try and beat us in contested ball but if we have a midfield group who all excel at contested ball then it'll be hard to stop us in that area.

On a side note, I didn't realise how good Choccy Neale was on the weekend until watching parts of the replay. What an absolute beast.

Left field option is Tom Berry. Can play wing, has played wing in the NEAFL. Would be picked to debut, which is not unprecedented, though unlikely.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Back