Preview Second Qualifying Final, Saturday 7th September 2019, 7.25pm. v Tigers @ the Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see us losing week 2 tbh. We've taken the Dogs best punch and won comfortably with our captain on the bench and we beat GWS with Cogs and Kelly away and think we'd edge them at home.
Agree they will also be without Daniel who was influential against us at home

Just need to improve our kicks going into our forward line compared to what we did last time against them and we should be right in it. Keen to see which of our younger guys step up for finals, hopefully Rayner can have a De goey like impact.

Lions by 34

Not to get ahead of myself, but if we win what’s the consensus... Friday night or Sat night prelim? Cos I got something on the Friday night and I will be ******* inconsolable if I have to miss it.

Not to get ahead of myself, but if we win what’s the consensus... Friday night or Sat night prelim? Cos I got something on the Friday night and I will be ******* inconsolable if I have to miss it.

Regardless the answer will always be that you blow off your prior engagement.

My wife and I are due to have our first kid on the 18th of this month. Hoping like hell the little bloke plays ball and comes midweek or as far away from any of the coming weekends as possible. And yes I'm aware it wasn't planned overly well, but who else thought we'd be here?

Yeah, I feel the same way.

I just hope, if we do lose on Saturday night, that we don't follow the same path as other top four teams since 2014 and go out in straight sets:

"Five top-4 teams have gone out in straight sets since 2014"

Given half of every top 4 loses in the first week, by my calculations that's a 50% win rate in the following week and hence only marginally higher than expected - a bunch of times it'll be 4 v 5 for example, who tend to be pretty close.

It depends what happens in the other QF from memory. IIRC the highest ranked team going into the Preliminary Finals is usually afforded the longer break going into the GF so my scenarios would be-

A) Lions and Cats win QFs then the Cats would get the Friday night Prelim because they finished 1st at the end of the H&A season.

B) Lions and Magpies win QFs then we would get the Friday night Prelim because we finished 2nd and the Pies 4th at the end of the H&A season.

I have definitely heard this sort of message come out of the AFL before but I wouldn't put it past them in scenario B to play the Pies on the Friday night because of TV ratings/crowd etc. hence giving that side of the draw the extra days break going into the GF. I would be pissed if that happened although not quite as much as the 2004 Prelim Finals scheduling debacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point of the season, seeing we've exceeded all my expectations, everything from here is a bonus.

Realistically, the Tigers are the ultimate opponent, and therefore offer the best learning opportunity. Our worst outcome is to absorb the lessons, good or bad. Next year we'll see the benefit, as we did back in 1999. It's a learning curve.

We have enormous potential in our unbeaten NEAFL side, some of whom will inevitably make the grade. Talent will out. We can only get better. The siren song of the Eddie-whinge will tell all. All those benefits thrown our way. You know what we're talking about. Two months played at our home ground [well every second game anyway]. Beneficial officiating. Money. etc etc.

Observing Hardwick last night in full living colour- cocky might be too strong, very, very confident definitely. Great to see. Fagan should show it on repeat. Hardman will have a back up plan should the men in green or whatever ping the too-obvious holding, scragging, throwing, dumping etc on Charlie. And he won't let Neale roam free again, that's for sure.

Let's hope we have a Plan B for Reiwoldt, etc. Can't let the game go early again. We'll certainly have some alterations. Plant a big body in front of the run, maybe. I'd have suggested Walker if he was harder.

We'll learn from the last loss. Let's hope the crowd loudly point out the obvious infringements. Not that this would happen at the MCG. Ever.

It depends what happens in the other QF from memory. IIRC the highest ranked team going into the Preliminary Finals is usually afforded the longer break going into the GF so my scenarios would be-

A) Lions and Cats win QFs then the Cats would get the Friday night Prelim because they finished 1st at the end of the H&A season.

B) Lions and Magpies win QFs then we would get the Friday night Prelim because we finished 2nd and the Pies 4th at the end of the H&A season.

I have definitely heard this sort of message come out of the AFL before but I wouldn't put it past them in scenario B to play the Pies on the Friday night because of TV ratings/crowd etc. hence giving that side of the draw the extra days break going into the GF. I would be pi**ed if that happened although not quite as much as the 2004 Prelim Finals scheduling debacle.

Literally last year Collingwood got the Friday night slot despite West Coast finishing higher than them on the table.

Literally last year Collingwood got the Friday night slot despite West Coast finishing higher than them on the table.
Ah well there you go, disregard my bullshit above everyone, it's was a waste of space. My aged mind playing tricks on me again, it's all at the whim of the AFL.

I'm super envious of you lot - rocketing into finals after a decent drought.

No sporting experience will ever come close to September 2017 for mine.

Get amongst it and soak it up lads, it's gonna be a massive finals series :thumbsu:

I have definitely heard this sort of message come out of the AFL before but I wouldn't put it past them in scenario B to play the Pies on the Friday night because of TV ratings/crowd etc. hence giving that side of the draw the extra days break going into the GF. I would be pi**ed if that happened although not quite as much as the 2004 Prelim Finals scheduling debacle.

I think there's a principle that teams are supposed to be back in their home state on the Saturday night before the Grand Final.

So if we're hosting a prelim I'd imagine it has to be on Friday night. The AFL would be very reluctant to play a preliminary final during the day in Queensland in September.

One way or the other I don't think there's any way our prelim is on Saturday night.

Last edited:
At this point of the season, seeing we've exceeded all my expectations, everything from here is a bonus.

Realistically, the Tigers are the ultimate opponent, and therefore offer the best learning opportunity. Our worst outcome is to absorb the lessons, good or bad. Next year we'll see the benefit, as we did back in 1999. It's a learning curve.

We have enormous potential in our unbeaten NEAFL side, some of whom will inevitably make the grade. Talent will out. We can only get better. The siren song of the Eddie-whinge will tell all. All those benefits thrown our way. You know what we're talking about. Two months played at our home ground [well every second game anyway]. Beneficial officiating. Money. etc etc.

Observing Hardwick last night in full living colour- cocky might be too strong, very, very confident definitely. Great to see. Fagan should show it on repeat. Hardman will have a back up plan should the men in green or whatever ping the too-obvious holding, scragging, throwing, dumping etc on Charlie. And he won't let Neale roam free again, that's for sure.

Let's hope we have a Plan B for Reiwoldt, etc. Can't let the game go early again. We'll certainly have some alterations. Plant a big body in front of the run, maybe. I'd have suggested Walker if he was harder.

We'll learn from the last loss. Let's hope the crowd loudly point out the obvious infringements. Not that this would happen at the MCG. Ever.
Will be tough if they restrict Lachie to 36 @ 100 percent

My wife and I are due to have our first kid on the 18th of this month. Hoping like hell the little bloke plays ball and comes midweek or as far away from any of the coming weekends as possible. And yes I'm aware it wasn't planned overly well, but who else thought we'd be here?
Book a caesarean section for the 16th, all the kids are doing it these days.

I think there's a principle that teams are supposed to be back in their home state on the Saturday night before the Grand Final.

So if we're hosting a prelim I'd imagine it has to be on Friday night. The AFL would be very reluctant to play a preliminary final during the day in Queensland in September.

One way or the other I don't think there's any way our prelim is on Saturday night.

On the other hand, do the AFL turn down the opportunity to have a Prelim at the MCG on Friday night (probably Geelong-Rich or Pies-Rich) and ensure incredibly high TV ratings?

I think that the $ would win out over any notion of fairness personally.

I am sharing this sentiment. Have a strange sense of Zen about it.

However, lets not kid ourselves.. going out in straight sets from top 2 is bad what ever way you slice it. We need to win 1 of 2 at home. That's my 'content marker' and I feel other fans should be hoping for the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back