Preview Second Semi-Final – Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 15th September 2018, MCG, 7.25pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Key players I see as being important
Greene Coniglio Deledio Cameron HH
Need someone to kick the goals and if Greene and Cameron can kick 3 each it will go along way to getting the win but the mids are where it as always will need to be won so Coniglio and Hopper will need to be hard in the middle and Lobb to provide a contest so Grundy can't guide it into Pendleburys hands
Defensively support for Davis against Cox and then whoever gets the De Goey match up will be in for a hard night

Changes
Griffen for Kelly
Maybe Taylor/Corr for Reid

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Key players I see as being important
Greene Coniglio Deledio Cameron HH
Need someone to kick the goals and if Greene and Cameron can kick 3 each it will go along way to getting the win but the mids are where it as always will need to be won so Coniglio and Hopper will need to be hard in the middle and Lobb to provide a contest so Grundy can't guide it into Pendleburys hands
Defensively support for Davis against Cox and then whoever gets the De Goey match up will be in for a hard night

Changes
Griffen for Kelly
Maybe Taylor/Corr for Reid
I actually think we will win this game through our defensive efforts. The back 7 will win it. I’m not a fan of any unforced changes

Griff for kelly but other than that nothing else

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Holy cow

Could have Kelly, Griffen, Taylor, and big Dawson all available !!

Doubt it would happen but imagine if we picked Dawson to ruck and threw Lobb forward too. That would cause some headaches

Also personally I don't think Josh will get up. Reckon the keeping Collingwood on their toes

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Holy cow

Could have Kelly, Griffen, Taylor, and big Dawson all available !!

Doubt it would happen but imagine if we picked Dawson to ruck and threw Lobb forward too. That would cause some headaches

Also personally I don't think Josh will get up. Reckon the keeping Collingwood on their toes

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Leon didn't sound that confident on Sen

It could be as simple as this is more direct to to the decision makers and prepared later in the day.

I'm not sure about Griffen. I thought De Boer did some brilliant things as a defensive firward on Saturday. Real one percenters and stopping their transutionwith will more than anything. I cant see him, Langdon and Griffen fitting in forward. I'm not down on Griffen but dont want either of the others dropped.

Maybe Dawson can at least provid a contest and leave Lobb free as a weapon. I think Tommo has to pick him up around the ground then though. I like the big lug but Grundy's very mobile.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Melbourne Pre-Match Function
GIANTS Media September 11, 2018 2:38 PM

FUTE-1240x740-PreMatch-wk2.jpg

Don't miss the GIANTS' massive pre-match function in Melbourne this Saturday.

Don’t miss the GIANTS’ official pre-match function at the Imperial Hotel before Saturday’s Semi Final against Collingwood.

Situated on Bourke Street, the Imperial Hotel is one of Melbourne’s oldest pubs and is just a 20 minute walk from the MCG.

With the function starting at 4pm, you’ll want to be on-time as the first 40 GIANTS fans to arrive will receive the once in a lifetime opportunity to stand on the hallowed turf of the MCG and cheer the GIANTS on to the ground as part of the guard of honor.

If you haven’t already got your orange on, you’ll also be able to purchase GIANTS merchandise at the Imperial Hotel.

Enjoy one of the food and beverage offers with fellow GIANTS fans before the function concludes at 6pm for the march to the MCG for the start of the Semi Final at 7:25pm.

What: GIANTS Semi Final Pre-Match Function

When: Saturday, 15 September 4pm-6pm

Where: Imperial Hotel, 2-8 Bourke St, Melbourne

-----​

Ask, and you shall receive! :D:D:D

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
If big dawson comes in, would be interesting to park lobb up at permanent full forward to see who goes with him (207cm vs langdon 189cm/howe 190cm/goldsack 193cm) and see if we can get some cheap goals. Could also be on leon's mind this might tempt collingwood to bring an underdone Moore at 199cm back early. Himmelberg in my opinion will take the defensive tall role to try and negate howe's intercepting influence if he gets out of control similar to when he takes mcgovern when we verse the eagles. Leaves cameron to take langdon/goldsack and drag him higher up the ground while toby works his magic inside the forward 50. Langdon and DeBoer to play their usual pressure forward style of play along with the mids. Dawson's potential inclusion gives gws not necessarily a better but definitely very different and flexible lineup. Tommo as a few have said would also play a big role on grundy around the ground if this eventuates. Lots to consider for MC in the coming days but dont think Kelly will be playing this week.

Last edited:

Jared87

Draftee
Jun 21, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Can't contain my excitement for this, contemplating booking a flight down on Friday. Does anyone think it will be a sell-out?

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If big dawson comes in, would be interesting to park lobb up at permanent full forward to see who goes with him (207cm vs langdon 189cm/howe 190cm/goldsack 193cm) and see if we can get some cheap goals. Could also be on leon's mind this might tempt collingwood to bring an underdone Moore at 199cm back early. Himmelberg in my opinion will take the defensive tall role to try and negate howe's intercepting influence if he gets out of control similar to when he takes mcgovern when we verse the eagles. Leaves cameron to take langdon/goldsack and drag him higher up the ground while toby works his magic inside the forward 50. Langdon and DeBoer to play their usual pressure forward style of play along with the mids. Dawson's potential inclusion gives gws not necessarily a better but definitely very different and flexible lineup. Tommo as a few have said would also play a big role on grundy around the ground if this eventuates. Lots to consider for MC in the coming days but dont think Kelly will be playing this week.

Seeing Dawson available the thought of parking Lobb at FF must be very tempting given the pies lack of KPD - Either Lobb has a massive height advantage or they bring back Moore who I think would really struggle on Lobb. Would put Perryman’s spot in doubt. Goldsack/Cameron, Langdon/HH if Moore doesn’t play who would go to Lobb? Not really sure who they have to go with Greene either

With Howe I reckon we send MDB to him or get Deledio to do what he did to Alir and play on him and be that lead up target to make him accountable (with Deledios disposal into the 50 he won’t be able to zone off).

However we structure the forward line I think the pies will struggle to contain us. Against the Eagles their midfield was able to shield the defence from being bombarded for three quarters then the eagles mids got on top in the last and it was game over. Their mids won’t get their own way for so long against us.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/f2b19ba9648ad8e0e8b84bd01ede6abe
(More in the link above, but gotta love Sheed's stirring the VFL pot)

Kevin Sheedy calls for all non-Collingwood fans to unite behind GWS and extend Magpie misery
MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
September 11, 2018 6:28pm
Subscriber only
FOOTY legend Kevin Sheedy is urging neutral Victorian fans to get behind Greater Western Sydney in Saturday night’s do-or-die clash with Collingwood at the MCG.

Sheedy, the Giants’ inaugural coach, says it’s imperative the Magpies exit September action in straight sets.

“The Giants are a young club trying their backsides off, and they’re going to roll down into Melbourne and play probably the most disliked club in the history of Australian sport — Collingwood,” Sheedy said.

“So if you’re going to the game, wear orange. All Tigers and Bomber fans — any neutral fan, get along and wear orange.

“Dismiss Collingwood. Leave them there, lamenting. They’ve won two premierships in 50 years. That’s four hours of happiness in 50 years, that’s enough. That’s over the top.

“The Giants will start well early, make them very nervous and shut down every screaming Magpie, don’t worry about that,” Sheedy said.

Sheedy said he doubted Collingwood had the right match-up to stop Giants star forward Toby Greene.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Don't think Simpson will be bought in as I feel it would be too bigger change to the team structure from what worked so well v the weak swans and also with his size you would almost need to have him have a few weeks training at 100% to make sure their is minimal chance of it happening again
Griffen likely and depending on how the coaches saw Reids game his position could be under scrutiny but not sure who would come back in

They’ve won two premierships in 50 years. That’s four hours of happiness in 50 years, that’s enough. That’s over the top.
LOL.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
What's the Story for the G Saturday night. Some saying 60k, I would have thought more like 90k?

I dont really care the atmosphere for the PF was great, just curious. Guessing we get around 1.5k Vic members and travellers again.
Collingwouldn’ts thousands of supporters will descend I’m sure.
I was at the G for our first game with them. They top my list of clunge supporters.
General Admin. Maybe a mistake. First bounce, I yell out, “Go Giants!!!!” Loudly.
Three rows back, Pies ‘**** goes, “I’m going to kill that f#cken pr!ck”.
I can handle myself. I wasn’t bothered, but on it went throughout the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back