Autopsy - Second Semi-Final, Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 15th September, MCG, 7.25pm | BigFooty

Autopsy Second Semi-Final, Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 15th September, MCG, 7.25pm

Discussion in 'GWS Giants' started by Land of the Giants, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Land of the Giants

Land of the Giants Premium Platinum

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Thunder
    Morning has broken.

And if Melbourne can knock off Hawthorn, we can beat Collingwood. The pressure's on them.

It's gonna be a big, big day.

upload_2018-9-15_15-33-5.png

SUMMARY
    The Magpies had their opportunities to upset West Coast in their qualifying final clash, but now have to turn their attention to a semi-final contest – to keep their season alive – against Greater Western Sydney. The Giants were impressive in a 49-point hiding of Sydney, dismantling their crosstown rivals and keeping the Swans to their lowest score – since moving to Sydney – in a final. The battle around clearances will be a fascinating element in Friday night's game, with both teams boasting strong midfield units.

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday September 16, 7.50pm
 AEDT
    TV AND RADIO: Click here for broadcast guide

GET TO THE GAME All your finals ticketing info

WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR?

Round two: Greater Western Sydney 15.5 (95) def Collingwood 12.7 (79) at the MCG

Greater Western Sydney notched its second ever win at the MCG, withstanding a brave Collingwood fightback to win by 16 points in a fierce Easter Saturday contest.

LAST FIVE TIMES
    R2, 2018, GWS Giants 15.5 (95) d Collingwood 12.7 (79) at the MCG
    R8, 2017, GWS Giants 15.12 (102) d Collingwood 15.9 (99) at Spotless Stadium
    R16, 2016, Collingwood 19.11 (125) d GWS Giants 14.9 (93) at Spotless Stadium
    R11, 2015, Collingwood 18.11 (119) d GWS Giants 11.11 (77) at the MCG
    R22, 2014, Collingwood 11.9 (75) d GWS Giants 9.13 (67) at Spotless Stadium

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Collingwood

1. The Magpies' tackling pressure to ramp up. Collingwood laid 64 tackles against the Eagles. Look for them to key in on this area against the Giants.

2. Pour time and effort into Toby Greene. Greene is the Giants' matchwinner, so expect Brayden Maynard or Levi Greenwood to try to shut him down.

3. Keep Lachie Whitfield accountable. The All Australian pushed more onto the wing with Zac Williams back in the Giants' team. Whitfield is dangerous.

Greater Western Sydney

1. Stephen Coniglio to go to Steele Sidebottom and try to keep him in check. Sidebottom is often the talisman for the Pies, so the Giants will put a lot of work into him.

2. Phil Davis to play another critical role after outpointing Lance Franklin. Stopping Mason Cox, and preventing him from getting to marking contests, will be a priority.

3. Harry Himmelberg to play another key role. The mobile forward's impact will be important to assist the likes of Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron.

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Giants led by just a single point at three-quarter-time in round two before kicking five goals to three in the final quarter. Giants onballer Stephen Coniglio starred with 27 disposals, three goals, five inside 50s and seven clearances.

2. Collingwood has been the highest-ranked disposal team all season, the only team to average more than 400 touches per game all year. The Giants are mid-table for disposals with an average of 380.8.

3. The Giants have now won the past two clashes between the sides ending Collingwood's dominance. The Magpies won the first five matches in 2012-16 including a 120-point thrashing in 2012.

4. GWS continues to be the No.1 clearance team in 2018, averaging 39.6. But Collingwood has also been strong in this area, ranked fourth with an average of 37.7.

5. If Collingwood loses, it will be the first time since 1992 it has finished top four and failed to win a final. The Giants will be aiming for consecutive finals wins for the first time in club history.

6. Taylor Adams was the top-ranked Magpie in the Schick AFL Player Ratings and the third-best player on the ground in the Collingwood-West Coast qualifying final.

WHAT THE COACHES SAY

Nathan Buckley: "We're still in the fight … we won't dwell or cry over spilt milk. We have an opportunity now to make sure we in some ways take the lessons from this experience and dust ourselves off and go again." – after Saturday night's loss to West Coast

Leon Cameron: "From Toby (Greene) and Brett (Deledio) and Matty (De Boer) in the front half, to Zac (Williams) in the back half, they all contributed in a manner that made them look like they'd been playing for a month. There's no doubt they're hungry for more, so we have to get them ready for next week." – Cameron on returning players from injury.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
    Toby Greene.
    After much discussion about his controversial technique in marking contests this week, Greene could be the difference between the Giants winning and losing. GWS is a much better side with its star playmaker in the line-up. Look for him to have another big game.

PREDICTION: Collingwood by 10 points

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Isaac Cumming No 1

Isaac Cumming No 1 Premium Platinum

GWS
    :oops:I'm edgy already and have to much travelling to do to resort to rum.
    More so than before the PF last year, cos I think this is winnable.
    If our season ends tonight then so be it, but I desperately hope not.

Giants by 4 goals on a pretty dry cold night at the G.

ps. Hope it's calm exiting the ground when we win.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Hojuman, KevDawg and Giant Strides like this.
  3. gee whiz giant

gee whiz giant Team Captain

GWS
    Other Teams:
    the Toffees, the Bays.
    I envy you your attendance.
    I actually get more edgy when I'm watching on TV than I do at the game; it passes quicker live somehow. Maybe it's I don't have to put up with the inane drivel and home-state bias of the commentators, but that's another subject for another time

4. General Giant

General Giant Brownlow Medallist

GWS
    Cant wait. 1st time watching a game at the G.

Atmosphere should be amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    Pretty much the same for me. Plus I can go so I am, sometimes it's not possible.. :DMe watching big games on TV is a risk to the furniture and the Cat.
    No commentary helps too

6. JC100

JC100 Team Captain

GWS
    5 goal win tonight for the boys.

Collingwood really struggles against any side that has a good midfield which is why their record against the top 8 is so poor and just happens to be one of our strengths.

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
    Well wishes to all those who made the trip over. Including the 22 who will take the field tonight.

8. elee

elee Senior List

Port Adelaide

rain expected... not a dry cold night

9. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    In detail it's showers morning and afternoon, so I'm optimistic.

10. Giant Pete

Giant Pete Premiership Player

GWS
    Given the weather I hope we go with Perryman over Keefe.

KevDawg likes this.
  11. Danny88

Danny88 Club Legend

GWS
    Hope we smack them in the middle think our back line will be too good for them to kick a winning score

Interestingly on their board they don’t really rate our back line unit and think they have the wood on us in that respect. I put it down to ignorance

Hojuman, Paunchos Pizza and KevDawg like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Andre the Giant

Andre the Giant Premiership Player

GWS
    Guys, the weather is like Armageddon, we just lost a large tree in our front yard which has ****** the landscaping pretty nicely!

Rain is sideways, wind is knocking you off your feet...if it stays like this it will be an absolute slog.

Windy days at the G are hard work, hope it passes through!!

Hojuman, Determinant and dlanod like this.
  13. JC100

JC100 Team Captain

GWS
    Ignorance is bliss.

Against top 8 they have only kicked 80 points or more once this year and that was against the demons when they kicked 133 points. Take that out of the equation and they are averaging 68 points against the top 8

Conversely they concede nearly 2 goals a game more against the top 8 and only conceded less than 90 3 times versus 6 for us.

14. Jaffa Fan

Jaffa Fan Team Captain

GWS
    [​IMG]Got my Falafels ready for the big game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    Must have passed through
    Just arrived in the and there's a shower right now and a light breeze. Dry most of the way from the airport.

16. Andre the Giant

Andre the Giant Premiership Player

GWS
    upload_2018-9-15_15-41-40.jpeg

From the official AFL website twitter account.

They are a disgrace and don’t even try to be impartial.

Baird, Hojuman, Drummond and 3 others like this.
  17. KevDawg

KevDawg All Australian

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Essendon & Giants Womens
    I luckily have a tv I can pause. I open the afl app, choose a radio station without jerks, and then sync it to the tv.
    No Ling, wife-glasser, BT, etc.

Determinant and Giant Strides like this.
  18. KevDawg

KevDawg All Australian

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Essendon & Giants Womens
    I liked Mongrel Punt after we played the swans. Stated that maybe people shouldn’t ask how does Davis play Buddy, but how is Buddy going to play Davis.
    Davis is elite.

Giant Strides likes this.
  19. Land of the Giants

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Thunder
    No guard-of-honour duties for LOTG this week. Missed out due to demand!

20. Teeso

Teeso Team Captain

GWS
    Might be better that way. The more he is vilified by Victorians on their high horses, the less likely he will want to return back to play there even in his later years. The way the Vics treated Jezza and Lachie as well during and after their mishaps were shocking too and hope that kind of reception deters them and others from ever going back. The Vics are overprivileged and are a bloodthirsty bunch, if that is culture to them, glad we are creating our own brand.

21. KevDawg

KevDawg All Australian

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Essendon & Giants Womens
    52AE2BFE-332A-47EB-8C6B-4DBE34704BF7.png
    Just captured this above:

22. KevDawg

KevDawg All Australian

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Essendon & Giants Womens
    That is a great positive outlook.

Giant Strides likes this.
  23. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    Actually it's not that great right now. Was ok coming in from the airport but steady drizzle and cold, I'm very close to the G. Radar is more promising than out the window.

Might be more of us than I thought. Plane and Hotel full of Giants supporters

Gigantic and Giant Strides like this.
  24. General Giant

General Giant Brownlow Medallist

GWS
    Still trying to get there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

25. Land of the Giants

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Thunder
    2018-09-15 17.16.15.jpg Great turnout at the Imperial.

And that's just the Rooftop Bar,!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.