Autopsy Second Semi-Final, Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 15th September, MCG, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Just posted our game review at The Mongrel Punt, but wanted to add to the chat here.

I was appalled by the umpiring in the first half. It was horrid. Thought Shiel really wasted the ball tonight, but the efforts of Whitfield and Coniglio were brilliant. No idea how Coniglio didn't make the squad of 40.

Also, Mihocek's "goal" looked like it was touched to me. Clearly, as well.

Anyway, game review is located in the link in my sig - I'm not allowed to post it in the thread because... look I don't know why, but I like to think I give GWS a fair shake. I know a lot in my position don't. Will be reading with interest as to what you guys think your off-season holds. Cheers

Seeya griff
Sorta feel sorry for the likes of him and delidio who passed on loyalty to chase a flag only to miss out
Part of me of course thinks serve yourself right too
Anyway, tough night for you guys but a pretty entertaining game to watch as a neutral , as average as the umpires were, I think they were consistent, it’s a tough gig, geez it’s hard enough umpiring under 12’s let alone these guys
You had your chances but didn’t take em,
Seeya next year

Hardly noticed you this year. Maybe I will next year, is it frustrating being insignificant?

Attachments

• 20180915_184614.jpg
    20180915_184614.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 69

Feeling pretty down after that but Collingwood were the better side on the night, too many non performers for the Giants and not sure if it was the occasion or the draining season that had taken it all out of them but the Pies had players all over the ground who made the one percenters and won the contested ball and I am sure some of the players are feeling down but i am sure they will come back stronger and more determined next year
Coniglio and Whitfield played there hearts out and Lobb battled hard and did well against one of the best rucks in the comp but the rest were only really average performers and I think it shows how the depth was not there this year

Seeya griff
Sorta feel sorry for the likes of him and delidio who passed on loyalty to chase a flag only to miss out
Anyway, tough night for you guys but a pretty entertaining game to watch as a neutral , as average as the umpires were, I think they were consistent, it’s a tough gig, geez it’s hard enough umpiring under 12’s let alone these guys
Seeya next year
Part of me thinks you're a *******.

The other part of me agrees.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pros:
* Grundy was the better ruck but Lobb broke even for most of the night. Promising signs there.
* I actually think Jezza had an ok game, just not in the forward 50.
* We looked great picking them apart with short kicks through the middle.
* For the amount of time the ball was locked in our forward 50 that could have been a bloodbath. Some of it was luck but we also forced the Pies into low percentage shots.

Mixed:
* The midfield was solid but overall awareness was poor, E.g. getting caught flat footed, trailing to the ball and then trying to contain rather than pressure leading to easy handballs, forcing the ball out when caught with it despite being surrounded by Pies players.

Cons:
* Defensive matchups. Keeffe was Keeffe, we had to play Haynes on a man, Davis struggled without a clear matchup, Buntine was poor. Part of this is injuries, part of this is selection.
* Long kicks without looking will always come straight back. I appreciate the sentiment to just get it out of here but we lacked the spread again with no Scully, Shaw or Kelly.
* No offensive running from our KPDs allows 18 on 15 congestion to form in front of them as all of them would peel off to stay back, even without a man.
* Any of Himmelberg, Cameron or Coniglio kicking their goals in the fourth would've kept us in it to the siren but three straight misses on kickable goals was a shocker.

Seeya griff
Seeya next year
If you’ve ever left a job for a better one, then you can’t level this at a player that does the same thing.
It’s business.
Are clubs always loyal?
Just look at Luke Power or James MacDonald and how their clubs treated them at the end. Are clubs loyal to players?
I’ve had to move on from people I worked with and really ‘loved’.
Sometimes you have to do what’s right for you and what’s right for your family.

Bad night and we were beaten on our merits. You just cant give up goals early in the last QTR as we did and expect to win.

The guys showed heart in coming back from the shellacking in the first QTR to be in the game in the 2nd and third QTR's. I'm proud if them regardless of the loss.

We have lost depth and that's largely the what was meant to be by the way we were set up. I wont knock guys like Keefe and Sam Reid because they played their hearts out and honoured the colors they wore.

I do think there's reason for optimism going forward. Further development in first year players like Brent Daniel's, Sam Taylor, Nick Shipley and Aiden Bonar is a real positive. Zac Langdon should mature with experience as well.

The days when we had a first round draft pick waiting for an opportunity are gone. On the plus side we wont ever again have to watch guys like WHE, Jack Steele and Matt Kennedy walk for opportunities either.

I think it's easy to get caught up in the short term ups and downs and forget only one team of 18 is really successful every year. You need things to go right and they didn't for us in the end.

We dont need much improvement to finish top 4 and be serious contenders next year, just average luck. Whatever happens I'm looking forward to the ride.

Given tonight’s game, can you see the Eagles getting a crack at the ‘fairytale’ of the Dees.
That means, prediction, the get the Pies over the Tigers in an upset, so the Dees can beat the lesser side.
Just a thought.
I won't lie I'll take that scenario haha

Noooooooooo eagles

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Went last night and to the prelim last year.

You’re a hard team to work out in person. Always feel ominous, like you’re about to flip the switch, but in those two games it just didn’t happen.

Kelly out there would have made a big difference last night. Lobb looked super dangerous forward, given Collingwood’s small defence, but he just wasn’t there enough. Could have been the game to bring in Simpson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, I know it’s raw but the reality is they were the better team. Yes we didn’t get some calls tbh the umps were just poor in general and missed both ways. I am gutted but don’t feel robbed.

Positives

*Lachie Whitfield was Herculean tonight, hopefully he gets to play more midfield next year because he can honestly be the best player in the comp.

*Coniglio, Griffen, Lobb and Hopper tried very hard. Actually thought Reid and Keeffe were ok and did their best. Phil Davis is the most courageous player in the comp bar none.

*We literally had a cursed year with injuries, it’s just not possible that we have such a bad season again is it? s**t I don’t know, I hope not but we rallied and tried very hard.

*Harry Himmelberg is tracking to be an elite forward. He and Jezza started to look better towards the end of the year starting to gel and without the other talks taking their space.

Negatives

*Buntine got terribly exposed tonight and really if you think about it De Goey pretty much was the difference. He was great last week but this was a game to forget.

*2nd up syndrome really hit hard with our lads. It’s amazing how often it hurts teams and we just had no continuity at all.

*I don’t care what anyone says Greene was not right and played injured. That foot hopefully gets sorted for next year.

*I do have think we would benefit from some new ideas and personnel with coaching. We are a competitive side but I think some help would be good.

*if we do lose a Shiel or a Lobb or both I do hope we look to bring in a high quality indigenous small who can add some spark. We have a lot of honest players but just spark would be nice. If we get to the pointy end a Bailey Smith type would be good.

We do need another ruckman and hopefully can get one in for some balance. Rory was pretty good in the last few games but really wants to be a forward.

Keep your heads up everyone. I’m dead set flat about losing but in my heart of hearts I felt it was a bit inevitable with all the bad luck so I’m just really proud of the resilience of the group.

We still have a great team and just need to stay positive and strong and we will get there.
I'm pretty flat too, but as a few have said we clearly would not have been able to back up a win against a rested Richmond.

Amazing season by the guys considering all the injuries

I have genuine concerns though that are not just from the loss. I have been thinking about it for a few weeks now

We are clearly going to lose a few this year due to salary cap blah blah blah.

However my concern is how we keep building this club. The massive amounts of first round picks were to help build the club to be competitive and to build a supporter base. Not necessarily to have majority of those now playing with big Victorian clubs like every single one who has left of them are. Was hard seeing Treloar, Taylor and WHE tear us up last night.

Up until now the last 5 years we looked a genuine finals threat. The fact we kept getting better was players like Griffin and delideo and Shaw wanting to come to the club. But let's to totally honest, at the time they thought it would be a chance at a flag. However now every other senior player that has thought about it, has seen Griff and Lids watch their teams they left win a flag. Lids might have to watch them start a friggin dynasty.

So right now I can't see any big names wanting to be traded to the giants for this reason. Because Melbourne, Bulldogs and Richmond have shown that with current AFL equalization, any club can turn things around quite quickly

In terms of drafting. While we are going deep into finals and not succeeding, we are never getting those top draft picks coming in anymore. Always mid range due to ladder position

The talk this year is Lobb and Shiel, and Scully. You lose 3 every year of that calibre, how long is it until we are like a gold coast full of good players but no stars left?

This is a real situation if you think about it. Chance of a flag in 2018. And already small crowds down again this year. I love this club but I just have this niggling concern deep down.

Is this a real thing to be worried about or is my disappointment taking hold ?

I'm pretty flat too, but as a few have said we clearly would not have been able to back up a win against a rested Richmond.

I have genuine concerns though that are not just from the loss. I have been thinking about it for a few weeks now

However my concern is how we keep building this club. The massive amounts of first round picks were to help build the club to be competitive and to build a supporter base. Not necessarily to have majority of those now playing with big Victorian clubs like every single one who has left of them are. Was hard seeing Treloar, Taylor and WHE tear us up last night.

Up until now the last 5 years we looked a genuine finals threat. The fact we kept getting better was players like Griffin and delideo and Shaw wanting to come to the club. But let's to totally honest, at the time they thought it would be a chance at a flag. However now every other senior player that has thought about it, has seen Griff and Lids watch their teams they left win a flag. Lids might have to watch them start a friggin dynasty.

So right now I can't see any big names wanting to be traded to the giants for this reason. Because Melbourne, Bulldogs and Richmond have shown that with current AFL equalization, any club can turn things around quite quickly

In terms of drafting. While we are going deep into finals and not succeeding, we are never getting those top draft picks coming in anymore. Always mid range due to ladder position

The talk this year is Lobb and Shiel, and Scully. You lose 3 every year of that calibre, how long is it until we are like a gold coast full of good players but no stars left?

This is a real situation if you think about it. Chance of a flag in 2018. And already small crowds down again this year. I love this club but I just have this niggling concern deep down.

Well aren’t you a bright bunch of flowers?

You are right to be concerned imo. Look after the game when the players sat down to debrief . Only a couple were very devastated. Greene, cogs, Cameron seem to care a lot about gws . Many look like office workers on a Friday.

I’ll do my best to address all the points.

Firstly, RE all the draft picks. We and the Gold Coast were a test case being stacked with early picks after the dismal failure of Fremantle and the struggles of other start up teams to get going.

I feel the experiment has shown that stacking with early picks has obvious advantages but comes with obvious problems.

Whilst there is clearly the advantage of raw talent, you also end up with a lot of players that are frustrated as they don’t necesarily get the minutes or play in the positions they want too. The club has actually done a remarkable job managing this and credit to Gubby Allan for his genius in creating the university alumni atmosphere which got all the young guys living close and bonding early.

Perhaps Richmond have shown that a combination of high raw talent and hard working positional players with a strong defensive system is the best way? Collingwood and Hawthorn also seem to have this but surely that gives us hope if we can develop the latter.

The other clubs led by Collingwood have actually got together and planned to pick us apart. I can promise you this isn’t a conspiracy but a fact and has led to them lobbying headquarters re the Academy and systematically targeting players.

Free Agency (and it’s threat) has hurt us badly even though our players are only eligible from next year. It’s effect has been in driving wages and contracts upwards and putting strain on our salary cap position.

Injuries each year to key players have just been cruel. This year it was like a curse with our best players constantly going down. Imagine Scully and Kelly running loose yesterday with a rampaging Lachie Whitfield? There is no doubt that was the difference and what about key injuries in 17’ and 16’ to Shiel and Ward in Prelims? It’s freakishly unlucky stuff. You also cannot discount how constant injuries affect a teams ability to have continuity.

I’ve been critical of Leon Cameron but my criticism is mainly that I believe he needs some help. When you look at Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn they have each invested heavily in their assistants and this has helped them develop strong systems. Get him some real help and I think he is no worse than Damian Hardwick or John Longmire.

I’m probably more positive about the future. I think Lachie Whitfield is the best young player in the game bar none and someone we build the team around as he seems happy and invested in Sydney. With Kelly,Coniglio, Ward, Scully, Shiel (if he stays), Taranto, Hopper, Setterfield (if he stays), Deledio we have enormous depth in the guts, still the envy of every club.

Himmelberg looks close to elite to me and works well with Cameron and I think in future with Langdon, Greene, Daniels, Bonar, and perhaps a young indigenous talent (if we can isolate one) the forwards look good.

Down back Davis is a superstar, Hayes a Group 1 gun, Williams, Taylor, Kennedy, Corr, Tommo all very good players and Heater has one more year in him I reckon. Perhaps there is room to draft another defender in for depth.

Ruck is our major problem. Lobb (if he stays) doesn’t want to be a ruckman whilst Simpson has never been able to stay on the park and Flynn is untested. We simply must get another quality ruckman in as a priority.

Salary cap position is not good meaning we will need to shed 2 or 3 and re-invest at the draft. That is cool with me as I think we finally have a gun List and Recruitment team. I’ll back them in to make good decisions and back desire to win to keep Kelly, Cogs and Himmelberg at the club at least until they win a flag and probably longer.

We really need to revise our strength and conditioning team and have an overhaul there, some of the injuries this year were bad luck but some were really bad management. Particularly the repeat injuries and their management.

All is not lost, the sun comes up again, we will regroup, restock and be back bigger than ever in 19’. Keep your head up.

Last edited:

I’ve been a Bombers fan for many years, still have a digital membership. Can’t let go.
Ive been a GWS member second year on and have grown to love the team. I’ll continue that support. AFLW too. I’d like afl to be the number 1 sport in aus.
I have similar fears to you and have had them reinforced after watching the Bullflogs prelim 2 season’s ago, last year (Cotchin getting let off) and now last nights umpiring.
How that impacts our players’ minds, who wants to leave, and who wants to join us, only time will tell.
I hope we are both wrong and as someone said last night, the afl eventually thinks we’ve paid our dues and just lets the game play.
Go Giants 2019!

I’ll do my best to address all the points.

Firstly, RE all the draft picks. We and the Gold Coast were a test case being stacked with early picks after the dismal failure of Fremantle and the struggles of other start up teams to get going.

I feel the experiment has shown that stacking with early picks has obvious advantages but comes with obvious problems.

Whilst there is clearly the advantage of raw talent, you also end up with a lot of players that are frustrated as they don’t necesarily get the minutes or play in the positions they want too. The club has actually done a remarkable job managing this and credit to Gubby Allan for his genius in creating the university alumni atmosphere which got all the young guys living close and bonding early.

Perhaps Richmond have shown that a combination of high raw talent and hard working positional players with a strong defensive system is the best way? Collingwood and Hawthorn also seem to have this but surely that gives us hope if we can develop the latter.

The other clubs led by Collingwood have actually got together and planned to pick us apart. I can promise you this isn’t a conspiracy but a fact and has led to them lobbying headquarters re the Academy and systematically targeting players.

Free Agency (and it’s threat) has hurt us badly even though our players are only eligible from next year. It’s effect has been in driving wages and contracts upwards and putting strain on our salary cap position.

Injuries each year to key players have just been cruel. This year it was like a curse with our best players constantly going down. Imagine Scully and Kelly running loose yesterday with a rampaging Lachie Whitfield? There is no doubt that was the difference and what about key injuries in 17’ and 16’ to Shiel and Ward in Prelims? It’s freakishly unlucky stuff. You also cannot discount how constant injuries affect a teams ability to have continuity.

I’ve been critical of Leon Cameron but my criticism is mainly that I believe he needs some help. When you look at Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn they have each invested heavily in their assistants and this has helped them develop strong systems. Get him some real help and I think he is no worse than Damian Hardwick or John Longmire.

I’m probably more positive about the future. I think Lachie Whitfield is the best young player in the game bar none and someone we build the team around as he seems happy and invested in Sydney. With Kelly,Coniglio, Ward, Scully, Shiel (if he stays), Taranto, Hopper, Setterfield (if he stays), Deledio we have enormous depth in the guts, still the envy of every club.

Himmelberg looks close to elite to me and works well with Cameron and I think in future with Langdon, Greene, Daniels, Bonar, and perhaps a young indigenous talent (if we can isolate one) the forwards look good.

Down back Davis is a superstar, Hayes a group 1 gun, Williams, Taylor, Kennedy, Corr, Tommo all very good players and Heater has one more year in him I reckon. Perhaps room to draft another in for depth.

Ruck is our major problem. Lobb (if he stays) doesn’t want to be a ruckman whilst Simpson has never been able to stay on park and Flynn is untested. We simply must get another quality ruckman in as a priority.

Salary cap position is not good meaning we will need to shed 2 or 3 and re-invest at the draft. That is cool with me as I think we finally have a gun list and recruitment team. I’ll back them in to make good decisions and back desire to win to keep Kelly, Cogs and Himmelberg at the club at least until they win a flag and probably longer.

We really need to revise our strength and conditioning team and have an overhaul there, some of the injuries this year were bad luck but some were really bad management. Particularly the repeat injuries.

All is not lost, the sun comes up again, we will regroup, restock and be back bigger than ever in 19’. Keep your head up.
I’ve always thought Lobb wanted to ruck. Is that not the case?

I’ve always thought Lobb wanted to ruck. Is that not the case?

He sees himself more as a tall key forward. If you look at his attributes of distance running and contested marking that is what he is although his height and lack of mobility make him a relief ruckman.

To me he is icing, not the cake. His temperament is still a work in progress as he sometimes lacks natural aggression. Basically needs more s**t in him.

Patton is coming back but after 3 ACL’s we need to be guarded about his prospects particularly as he isn’t an elite ruck and Himmelberg has gone past him.

His market value has dropped significantly and in reality he may end up more a depth player for us unless he seeks a fresh start elsewhere. I love him and hope he can fight his way back regardless of where that is. The lad just needs some luck go his way.

Last edited:
He sees himself more as a tall key forward. If you look at his attributes of distance running and contested marking that is what he is although his height and lack of mobility make him a relief ruckman.

To me he is icing, not the cake. His temperament is still a work in progress as he sometimes lacks natural aggression. Basically needs more s**t in him.

Patton is coming back but after 3 ACL’s we need to be guarded about his prospects particularly as he isn’t an elite ruck and Himmelberg has gone past him.

His market value has dropped significantly and in reality he may end up more a depth player for us unless he seeks a fresh start elsewhere. I love him and hope he can fight his way back regardless of where that is. The lad just needs some luck go his way.
Can you find me the quote where Lobb said this? Seems unlikely

Pros:
* Grundy was the better ruck but Lobb broke even for most of the night. Promising signs there.
* I actually think Jezza had an ok game, just not in the forward 50.
* We looked great picking them apart with short kicks through the middle.
* For the amount of time the ball was locked in our forward 50 that could have been a bloodbath. Some of it was luck but we also forced the Pies into low percentage shots.

Mixed:
* The midfield was solid but overall awareness was poor, E.g. getting caught flat footed, trailing to the ball and then trying to contain rather than pressure leading to easy handballs, forcing the ball out when caught with it despite being surrounded by Pies players.

Cons:
* Defensive matchups. Keeffe was Keeffe, we had to play Haynes on a man, Davis struggled without a clear matchup, Buntine was poor. Part of this is injuries, part of this is selection.
* Long kicks without looking will always come straight back. I appreciate the sentiment to just get it out of here but we lacked the spread again with no Scully, Shaw or Kelly.
* No offensive running from our KPDs allows 18 on 15 congestion to form in front of them as all of them would peel off to stay back, even without a man.
* Any of Himmelberg, Cameron or Coniglio kicking their goals in the fourth would've kept us in it to the siren but three straight misses on kickable goals was a shocker.
Didn't know you had a foot in two camps dianod ! have to agree you lot were murdered by the umpiring and some defensive match ups were poor . Doesn't help to have green well held and Cameron having to move way up the ground for a kick

Did well considering injuries for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back