Game Day Second Semi-Final - Lions v Giants, Saturday 14th September, Gabba, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I love Toby and thinks he gets an unwarranted bad rap from Victorians and the Victorian press (athough yes he has done some dumb things in the past). And I think this week is a bit of a beatup after being seen to 'get off' last week's charges. But I agree with Simmofreo that he needs to play smarter and not give the establishment any sniff of a chance to get him.

But still, I can't see anything in the vision being shown, and the charge (unwarranted contact with the eye region) seems so nebulous as to be a catch all for the Victorian outrage. Hope we fight it. Worst case then would seem to be he loses, gets a week off, and although it would make it harder for us to win without him if we do he'd be straight back for the GF.

I'll reserve my judgement (again) for some more definitive evidence.

GWS vs Collingwood

With Toby 1-6
Without Toby 2-0

:poo:

I would go to the tribunal. Based on the wording of the charge I think he has a very good chance of getting off.

I've looked at that footage on a frame-by-frame basis.

Three Giants players are on the ground with Neale - Kelly, Toby and De Boer (lying flat on his back and obscured by the other three).

Toby and Kelly see the umpire is going to blow his whistle, and, correctly anticipating the call, attempt to retrieve the ball from Neale, who has dragged it near the vicinity of his head.

Both Toby and Kelly's eyes are on the ball at all times. They succeed in pushing the ball to De Boer. While this is happening, the umpire calls "Holding the ball, dragged". De Boer then gets up with the ball and takes the free kick.

There is NO evidence of intention or pre-meditation on Toby's part whatsoever. He was not responsible for the location of the ball. Any contact was situational. And he does not linger. As soon as De Boer has the ball, he gets up immediately and moves away.

The charge is ridiculous.

Cracking game by your mob last night, your back 6 especially, was really good to watch.

The Greene suspension is laughable and i hope he appeals, regardless of Greene being dumb and having white line fever issues, you can't suspend players because they attract negative media attention. There is no footage that shows anything conclusive, to suspend a player for any match let alone a prelim. Massive witch hunt going on at the moment.

Good luck against the Pies.

For people considering shelling out hard earned to get to Melbourne to watch a prelim at prelim prices, it should be a great experience in many ways, but just be aware that the game is likely to be manufactured to a certain degree one way or the other. The umpiring we get may partly be contingent on the result of the game to be played the night before.

There have been quite a few comments about the giants winning at the Gabba despite being the poorer team on the night. I'm not so sure of that. We got 20+ point leads twice which were reversed, initially, through umpiring.

Last I heard there is "no footage available" of the incident for which Razor awarded a free kick to Brisbane 70 metres off the ball with the score 0-26. Really? No footage? I call BS on that. We can be sure they'd have footage of any indiscretion committed by a giants player anywhere on the ground at any moment of the game. Yet, there is supposedly no footage of the incident resulting in that free kick?

At 0-26, channel 7 would have been concerned with the possibility of a blowout. So the game got a nudge, off camera and out of sight.

This appears to be standard procedure to curb blowouts, irrespective of the teams involved. The night before, there was a period when West Coast were significantly down only to receive 9 of 10 free kicks to help them back into the game.

It is noticeable how much teams have to pace themselves during a game, choosing when to put the foot down. There is a risk in expending energy early to build a lead. The opposition often gets an armchair ride back through umpiring. The energy expended to build the lead is then wasted.

You then have to find ways to conserve energy and still win. In that respect, I thought the giants were magnificent in that final quarter, especially from the last moment they lost the lead.

The way they scrambled the ball in the final minutes near the boundary line, rather than letting it go out of bounds or get locked up, kept the clock ticking over. The eschewing of switches may have been to conserve energy and also to control where the ball came in from Brisbane attacks, which were covered superbly by the defence.

It worked. A great win.

So the game got a nudge, off camera and out of sight.

I'm a little wary to espouse anything that smacks of conspiracy, it's what you'd expect from big footy posters generally..
But there may be some truth to it, I certainly wondered that this year when Essendon came from 26 points down at 3/4 time to beat us at Etihad. Hashtag 'armchair'.

But the Giants do get a lot of on-field finger-wagging from the umpires, we're naughty boys that don't know their place.
Ever since the 'WE've been watching you' to Toby 2 years ago, umpires seems hyper-sensitive to GWS and the free kick differential is the worst in the league..

The lecture to Kenners was way out of line. The umpire was wholly wrong and out of order.

They really seem to be on high alert in Giants games. I think that led to the ridiculous over-officiating.
My feel was they had a pre-determined mind-set to control Giants aggression. They found that, for consistency, they had to award the Giants lots of free kicks as well. It got out of hand. Atrocious over-officiating.

Umpires need to de-brief and re-set, and ignore the anti-Giant mood of ALL Melbourne Media.

Umpires should not be identifying pre-game the Giants players that will get extra scrutiny. (Mumford, Greene, Shaw). Not tar all Giants players with the same brush. Maybe even acknowledge that there should be room in our great game for the rat-bag. And goodness knows, the Giants have a few of those.

I wonder if we challenge and lose, does he get 2 ?

If that's the case the club has a big decision to make

If he risks 2 we may have to try to win without him and I guess a rested Toby & Cogs are pretty good ins for a GF

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
nah that got changed this year

we lose and the club pays 10,000

no extra weeks. Its to stop a Stevie J type scenario.. we don't want starts not playing

It is why I believe he will get off

Some pics of what happened on Saturday night at the Gabba....LOVED Zac Williams 100th game..and Mummy was outstanding how about that sneaky handpass to Zac for the goal? And Brent Daniels pure, sink the putt, CLUTCH final minutes goal that drove a dagger into the Lions hearts. Extraordinary scenes inside the Greater Western Sydney Giants sheds post-game..I wish you could bottle it..buzzing for hours afterwards..The Orange Army had PLENTY of fans who made the trip up north..got to meet some fabulous, dedicated Giants fans....enjoy our report as well...Go you Giants!

zacbbspo.jpg

teamwbspo.jpg

tobesspo.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. As CD's official centre clearance stats are no longer available to access via the AFL's match centre, I've tabulated my own. It is interesting what CD deems a centre clearance, as they've clearly given GWS 2 centre clearances from clanger kicks that went barely 10m outside the centre circle, which ending up resulting in actual effective clearances for Brisbane that went outside the centre square.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Reid 19 wing
Hopper 19
de Boer 18 (1w) - Neale 20
Taranto 17
Kelly 17
Perryman 16 wing
Tomlinson 11 wing
Greene 8
Whitfield 2 wing
Himmelberg 2 wing
Finlayson 1 wing

Rucks:
Mumford 22
Tomlinson 2
Finlayson 2

Centre Clearances
Taranto 2
de Boer 2
Greene 2
Kelly 2
Reid 1
Hopper 1

Q1 - 9

Taranto 8
Reid 7 wing
Hopper 6
de Boer 6
Kelly 5
Perryman 5 wing
Tomlinson 4 wing
Greene 2
Whitfield 1 wing
Himmelberg 1 wing

Mumford 7
Tomlinson 1
Finlayson 1

Q2 - 8

Reid 6 wing
Hopper 6
de Boer 6
Taranto 6
Perryman 6 wing
Kelly 3
Tomlinson 3 wing
Greene 3
Whitfield 1 wing

Mumford 7
Finlayson 1

Q3 - 4

Kelly 4
Tomlinson 4 wing
Hopper 3
Reid 2 wing
de Boer 2
Taranto 2
Perryman 2 wing
Greene 1

Mumford 4

Q4 - 5

Kelly 5
Reid 4 wing
Hopper 4
de Boer 4 (1w)
Perryman 3 wing
Greene 2
Taranto 1
Himmelberg 1 wing
Finlayson 1 wing

Mumford 4
Tomlinson 1

Notes:
- So effective was de Boer's tag of Neale that they effectively waved the white flag - their most effective clearance player for the year, who had been attending 90% of bounces (in analysed games) since their bye, did not attend a single bounce in the final term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back