Second tier football

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical - one minute crying poor and need to cut list sizes, next minute wanting to increase spending by reserves travelling interstate to play footy.
Bit unfair on him given that was anything but the context of the interview I heard him talking about it.
He did say if one of ways to cut costs was to have Suns and Lions play each other four times, he seemed to suggest no one would be too fussed if it was part of the reserves grade comp.
Given they already fly in games for NEAFL I think the increased spending is way overblown as some kind of obstacle to make it happen.

Cos they don’t benefit the afl
they can move to the VAFA or EDFL or any other local league

and as there are more than enough vic teams we don’t need standalone VFL teams in our second tier comp like the wafl or sanfl do
Christ. Glad to know how much of an idiot you really are. They benefit the AFL by giving players a pathway to the top without having to compete with AFL players for spots. Have a look at how many players that get drafted out of Coburg and Frankston compared to Collingwood and Richmond. Players like Saad, Hibberd, Sam Lloyd came through these clubs

Christ. Glad to know how much of an idiot you really are. They benefit the AFL by giving players a pathway to the top without having to compete with AFL players for spots. Have a look at how many players that get drafted out of Coburg and Frankston compared to Collingwood and Richmond. Players like Saad, Hibberd, Sam Lloyd came through these clubs
And they can still do so in a different league

The best thing the AFL could do is ensure the VFL clubs are good to go next year as aligned teams. That means the AFL clubs can have as small a list size as they like yet still have their reserves play at a good standard, and they don’t need to produce their own reserves sides.

Its by far the best solution from a footy and cost point of view.

And they can still do so in a different league
How many players getdrafted from the EDFL?
And with reduced lists and draft numbers decreasing, there will be a lot less vfl players selected

even last draft there was only 2-3 Including rookie drafts which I see getting scrapped
With reduced list sizes AFL clubs are more likely to need to align themselves with VFL clubs as well and I'm going to enjoy watching that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cos they don’t benefit the afl
they can move to the VAFA or EDFL or any other local league

and as there are more than enough vic teams we don’t need standalone VFL teams in our second tier comp like the wafl or sanfl do
I don't think having North benefits the AFL either. There's definitely too many VIC teams so maybe they should drop down a level or two ...

I don't think having North benefits the AFL either. There's definitely too many VIC teams so maybe they should drop down a level or two ...
Lol
That would be saints, dees etc

And if we were really talking about afl clubs to cull then goodbye gc suns

but this is about second tier comp

and the standalone vfl clubs are probably becoming less and less relevant

we’ve got 10 vic teams, that’s more than enough for the vfl comp.
Wafl and sanfl and neafl all have around that amount of teams

where we can afford the coburgs, standalones etc to go to the local leagues

Lol
That would be saints, dees etc

And if we were really talking about afl clubs to cull then goodbye gc suns

but this is about second tier comp

and the standalone vfl clubs are probably becoming less and less relevant

we’ve got 10 vic teams, that’s more than enough for the vfl comp.
Wafl and sanfl and neafl all have around that amount of teams

where we can afford the coburgs, standalones etc to go to the local leagues

Underlines who is looking after the second tier, is it anyone. Hopefully its not another ducking hard decisions, lets keep everyone quiet exercise.

A development league with no emphasis on premiership! s**t idea

Horrible idea. Goes against saving costs. And without a ladder, might as well just organise their own practice matches. Note the only club chiefs to back this so far are GC and Swans.

A development league with no emphasis on premiership! s**t idea

I agree. I think some of the benefit the VFL gave Richmond, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs was a competitive league to develop players over the last eight years. Interestingly, Collingwood were knocked out in the first week of finals in 2018.

It probably shows how important the VFL has been to premiership winners.

I agree. I think some of the benefit the VFL gave Richmond, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs was a competitive league to develop players over the last eight years. Interestingly, Collingwood were knocked out in the first week of finals in 2018.

Geelong have effectively always had an old style Reserves arrangement. Worked a treat with the development of their very successful squad of the 00's, Bombers glory years.

100% agree - even when it was AFL reserves back in the 90's I recall the teams in Reserves GF's often had strong seniors in the following years. Learning to win is important, competition is the best way to improve.

How many players getdrafted from the EDFL?

With reduced list sizes AFL clubs are more likely to need to align themselves with VFL clubs as well and I'm going to enjoy watching that.

I personally think it should go back to the "old" VFL of the 90's.

Have an Eastern seaboard AFL reserves.

Then essentially a reformation of the old VFA in a sense.

Willi, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Coburg etc all join forces with some of the biggest local clubs in the city and regional areas to form a 2 or 3 tier VFA 'super-league'

Vermont, Greensborough, Uni, St Kevs, Deer Park, West Preston, Keilor, Aberfeldie, Dromana, Strath Storm, St Mary's, Altona etc.

The VAFA clubs might abstain given it would be a professional league in a sense though.

Promotion/Relegation could exist back to your local league, and admission could be via a carnival of champions of those premiers throughout the state who aren't currently in the VFA.

The majority of these clubs have juniors, meaning you have kids getting exposure to football only just below AFL reserves level in a sense. It would act as a secondary TAC Cup in that sense. Most of these clubs have the money to remunerate the best players meaning this league would be the absolute pinnacle.

The current model is actually s**t. The VFL is propped up by the AFL listed players, yes some VFL listed players area drafted each year, but the vast majority of the best players in the state not playing AFL football, don't play VFL football because they don't pay enough, that would change.

In an ideal scenario all suburban football leagues combine and fall into an English FA style system, all under the same league umbrella throughout a 20-25 division system. With the VFA div 1 being just below the AFL reserves.

Last edited:
I personally think it should go back to the "old" VFL of the 90's.

Have an Eastern seaboard AFL reserves.

Then essentially a reformation of the old VFA in a sense.

Willi, Frankston, Port Melbourne etc all join forces with some of the biggest local clubs in the city and regional areas to form a 2 tier VFA 'super-league'

Vermont, Greensborough, Uni, St Kevs, Deer Park, West Preston, Keilor, Aberfeldie, Dromana, Strath Storm, St Mary's, Altona etc.

PRomotion/Relegation could exist back to your local league, and admission could be via a carnival of champions of those premiers throughout the state who aren't currently in the VFA.

The majority of these clubs have juniors, meaning you have kids getting exposure to football only just below AFL reserves level in a sense. It would act as a secondary TAC Cup in that sense. Most of these clubs have the money to renumerate players meaning this league would be the absolute pinnacle.

The current model is actually s**t. The VFL is propped up by the AFL listed players, yes some VFL listed players area drafted each year, but the vast majority of the best players in the state not playing AFL football, don't play VFL football, that would change.
Don't think it's realistic with the current state of affairs (35 player lists especially). Bunk Moreland has the best idea with the alignment of teams, and each team's "inactive list" could come from their aligned side as well

Carlton - Preston
Collingwood - Port Melbourne
Essendon - Coburg
Geelong - Falcons (expand it into a legitimate VFL side essentially)
Hawthorn - Box Hill
Melbourne - Casey
North Melbourne - Werribee
Richmond - Frankston
St. Kilda - Sandringham
Western Bulldogs - Williamstown

Teams get 9 home/9 away games. Have most at the traditional VFA grounds (PCO, NPO, CCO, BHCO, Casey Fields, Chirnside Park, FCO, TBBO, Point Gellibrand) and maybe a curtain raiser here and there at Punt Road or Kardinia Park

Don't think it's realistic with the current state of affairs (35 player lists especially). Bunk Moreland has the best idea with the alignment of teams, and each team's "inactive list" could come from their aligned side as well

Carlton - Preston
Collingwood - Port Melbourne
Essendon - Coburg
Geelong - Falcons (expand it into a legitimate VFL side essentially)
Hawthorn - Box Hill
Melbourne - Casey
North Melbourne - Werribee
Richmond - Frankston
St. Kilda - Sandringham
Western Bulldogs - Williamstown

Teams get 9 home/9 away games. Have most at the traditional VFA grounds (PCO, NPO, CCO, BHCO, Casey Fields, Chirnside Park, FCO, TBBO, Point Gellibrand) and maybe a curtain raiser here and there at Punt Road or Kardinia Park

I think an AFL reserves is an inevitability tbh.

I don't want a re-alignment as a club supporter.

I think an AFL reserves is an inevitability tbh.

I don't want a re-alignment as a club supporter.
I don't see how AFL clubs will be able to afford a stand alone reserves next year. I think they'll be forced into re-alignment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back