Secret Life Of Us

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watched it when originally on and re-watching it now. Absolutely brilliant at its peak but with retrospect can see the wheels wobbling when Joel Edgerton (Will) leaves. The speed by which so many characters leave from then on is alarming and the show never recovered. Losing Will/Jason/Alex/Richie/Miranda/Gab within around 25 episodes of each other both shook the engagement viewers had with them and tried to force viewers to engage with absolute randoms with no previous background in the show.

The first and second seasons had some utter gold moments. The dinner party where the characters reminisce about childhood incidents. Richie gradually coming out and breaking Miranda's heart while his best mate (Will) struggled to understand if that meant that Richie might crack onto him too (which he never did). The turnstile that was Evan's bedroom door. Some of the storylines had me pondering where the scriptwriters were going (after being cheated on - Gab then heavily pursues a married man and breaks up his marriage) but loved it at its peak. The most crucial character often forgotten was St Kilda itself. The show was as much a love letter to the suburb as a very accurate summary of life for those in their mid-late 20's and early 30's.

Any other big fans out there?

Watched it when originally on and re-watching it now. Absolutely brilliant at its peak but with retrospect can see the wheels wobbling when Joel Edgerton (Will) leaves. The speed by which so many characters leave from then on is alarming and the show never recovered. Losing Will/Jason/Alex/Richie/Miranda/Gab within around 25 episodes of each other both shook the engagement viewers had with them and tried to force viewers to engage with absolute randoms with no previous background in the show.

I loved this show. Probably should have ended it, at the end of S3.

Season 4 was just a complete dog's breakfast, shouldnt even be associated with the show.

I loved this show. Probably should have ended it, at the end of S3.

Season 4 was just a complete dog's breakfast, shouldnt even be associated with the show.
Will get to that soonish in the rewatch. Last time I gave out at episode 4 so not sure how long I will last this time. Samuel Johnson was spot on when he left saying that as far as he could see - Evan had actually not progressed one iota in the show and was still basically the same person.

found this on Netflix was too young for it when it originally aired but I’m a fan of Aussie nostalgia and enjoyed seeing how Melbourne used to look and stuff.

lost interest after the first two seasons though. Netflix keeps reminding me to finish it but I’m nowhere near as interested in it as I used to be

found this on Netflix was too young for it when it originally aired but I’m a fan of Aussie nostalgia and enjoyed seeing how Melbourne used to look and stuff.

lost interest after the first two seasons though. Netflix keeps reminding me to finish it but I’m nowhere near as interested in it as I used to be

Honestly. Dont bother.

of Aussie nostalgia and enjoyed seeing how Melbourne used to look and stuff.

What year are we talking about?

I will tell you that in Autumn 1990 I can remember eating my lunch on the north bank of the Yarra over to a partially completed Museum of Victoria (demolished shortly thereafter) and mud pit hell hole that ran up and down the south side where Crown and Jeff’s Shed currently reside.

Here’s some other not so long ago pics
B08D45AA-9662-4CD8-B9F8-FC4522B00160.jpeg
CFCFCEA7-DB74-4487-ABEA-787A8FDA4263.jpeg 7B6CA70A-311D-49E2-8580-AC7F5F2BEC53.jpeg

Last edited:
What year are we talking about?

I will tell you that in Autumn 1990 I can remember eating my lunch on the north bank of the Yarra over to a partially completed Museum of Victoria (demolished shortly thereafter) and mud pit hell hole that ran up and down the south side where Crown and Jeff’s Shed currently reside.

Here’s some other not so long ago pics
View attachment 1273592
View attachment 1273590View attachment 1273593

im a sucker for all this kind of stuff.

It was set in the early 2000s just before every city was all about fitting as many apartments into the city as possible.

One thing always stood out to me about this show in the original viewing and re-watching.

I struggle to think of any show where they spend so much time drinking. In the opening two seasons it felt like 1 in 2 or 3 scenes had characters drinking in some form. It is amazing on rewatch to see just how much time Miranda spends with alcohol. Nowadays we would recognise she was very likely to be suffering depression (which was completely understandable given so many challenges she faced) but no matter what time of day - she would have a drink in her hand at the flat.

Have just started season 4 with trepidation. The absolute lack of alcohol stands out like the proverbials. The first few episodes have actually not been as bad as I remembered

One thing always stood out to me about this show in the original viewing and re-watching.

I struggle to think of any show where they spend so much time drinking. In the opening two seasons it felt like 1 in 2 or 3 scenes had characters drinking in some form.

Omg yes!!!! Like I get it, they're 20 somethings, but it was completely excessive by the writers or whoever imho.

FYI re. the location:

The show that captured the heart of Australia in the early 2000s was set in the iconic apartment block at 14A Acland St, St Kilda. The 12-apartment block that was the setting for The Secret Life of Us sold for $4.95 million back in September 2008. The rooftop from the show was at the Belvedere Flats on the Esplanade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I struggle to think of any show where they spend so much time drinking. In the opening two seasons it felt like 1 in 2 or 3 scenes had characters drinking in some form. It is amazing on rewatch to see just how much time Miranda spends with alcohol. Nowadays we would recognise she was very likely to be suffering depression (which was completely understandable given so many challenges she faced) but no matter what time of day - she would have a drink in her hand at the flat.

Have just started season 4 with trepidation. The absolute lack of alcohol stands out like the proverbials. The first few episodes have actually not been as bad as I remembered

How I Met Your Mother they're drinking whenever not at work

Probably the Aussie version of Melrose Place.
Was popular for a couple of seasons but then for some reason cannot even recall it just became less interesting as writers ran out of ideas.

I remember when I watched Fringe, took me a little while to work out Olivia Dunham was from The Secret Life of Us as she had been living in America for some time then and her Aussie voice was not as prevalent.

Probably the Aussie version of Melrose Place.
Was popular for a couple of seasons but then for some reason cannot even recall it just became less interesting as writers ran out of ideas.

I remember when I watched Fringe, took me a little while to work out Olivia Dunham was from The Secret Life of Us as she had been living in America for some time then and her Aussie voice was not as prevalent.
It became crap as soon as Claudia exited

It became crap as soon as Claudia exited
That was certainly a pivotal point. Bear in mind that, within 30 episodes, all of Will, Jason, Alex, Miranda, Richie, Gab, Tidy, Chloe had all exited.

The audience was suddenly expected to engage and give a crumpet about a virtually whole new cast (outside of Kelly, Evan and Simon) in too short a time. After season three ends, we start season four with the latter four of the above list all having disappeared with absolutely no reference to any of them or where they had gone.

The first few episodes I'm watching of season four, Samuel Johnson looks completely bored and essentially reading lines. His engagement in the show was clearly not there (by his own admission at the time about being bored and frustrated with the lack of character development) and he strolls through scenes without a lot of interest or effort.

The other thing to note by then, is the original creative team is entirely gone, replaced by new writers. Hence why after three seasons of being a playboy, Evan suddenly settles down entirely with Jemima. Kelly, on the other hand, spends much of the first few episodes aggressive and angry, with brief flashes of the old Kelly. That said, the rest of the newbies actually aren't too terrible.

Show should have just ended on a high, wrapping up the characters of Kelly and Evan S3.
Perfectly fair and reasonable idea and how it should have ended.

I'm halfway through season 4 now and have been pleasantly surprised that it really is nowhere near as bad as I expected. A couple of the new characters are a bit jarring but we are also seeing Simon finally settle down with a man who loves him (albeit younger which leaves Simon insecure at times). Kelly is somewhat disappointing though. The dialogue sounds almost nothing like the sweet and loving Kelly we knew and loved. Replaced by a borderline angry and sarcastic version who does some really un-Kelly like things such as cheating on Frank Goodman to liaise with a St Kilda footballer (played by Aaron Petersen). The latter is a massive stretch of credibility also. He is supposed to be a gun AFL player but looks absolutely every inch of the 35 year old that he was at the time of playing the role.

The storylines are interesting in many ways though and it is well worth checking out once you are over the disappearance without trace or mention of a number of key characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back