Analysis Secret Thoughts and Cheap Therapy.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have found myself being pervaded by troubling thoughts that bely my normally peaceful and calm personality. Given that I have been a Melbourne supporter since 1965 (yes I jumped on the bandwagon) I hope I may be forgiven such ponderings. Is it normal to want these things

- to watch the Geelong JLT just in the hope of seeing injuries to key Cat players.

- to revel in any Adelaide misfortune in retribution for them allowing West Coast to win last year and ensure our demise from a final appearance.

- to hope someone breaks Dusty’s arm in a don’t argue gone wrong.

- to hate Richmond and Doggy supporters for relishing what we have not.

Such is the psychological damage that can follow from being too passionate about my beloved demons.

So in the pursuit of cheap therapy for secret thoughts posted in a public forum I pose the question. Am I alone? Does anyone else have secret thoughts?

I have found myself being pervaded by troubling thoughts that bely my normally peaceful and calm personality. Given that I have been a Melbourne supporter since 1965 (yes I jumped on the bandwagon) I hope I may be forgiven such ponderings. Is it normal to want these things

- to watch the Geelong JLT just in the hope of seeing injuries to key Cat players.

- to revel in any Adelaide misfortune in retribution for them allowing West Coast to win last year and ensure our demise from a final appearance.

Such is the psychological damage that can follow from being too passionate about my beloved demons.

So in the pursuit of cheap therapy for secret thoughts posted in a public forum I pose the question. Am I alone? Does anyone else have secret thoughts?
As a Melbourne supporter, I totally understand.

As a member of the mod team, I can't encourage barracking for or supporting injuries.

Crap performance, absolutely. Going to be interesting to see what the Cats show up with.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm looking forward to losing round 1. It's been entertaining thus far this year but I'm ready for a return to normality.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for anything except for MFCSS normality.

How does one prepare for the weekend with 'expectations'?
Replace that beer with scotch

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not sure I'm cut out for anything except for MFCSS normality.

How does one prepare for the weekend with 'expectations'?

No idea. Always thought it'd be weird to support a good team. "We won again. As I expected. Carry on."

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
No idea. Always thought it'd be weird to support a good team. "We won again. As I expected. Carry on."
The idea of being unsurprised at a win is so remote I honestly have no idea what that sensation feels like.

Yeah I will honestly still go into games v GC, Brisbane, North, and Carlton this year expecting to lose and being pleasantly surprised when we don't. The only teams I expect to beat honestly are Richmond, Essendon, and Port, for some reason.

I think expecting to lose comes down to lacking superstars. When Trac and Oliver are well established league wide as match winners we'll have more faith going in week to week

Even in the late 80s and early 90s when we made finals 5 years in a row I only ever felt that we had the slightest very very very tenuous grip on being partially semi-decent, so have no idea what it feels like to walk away from a win with a "ho-hum, well that was as it should be" attitude. Doesn't help that we've always had this habit of losing to the teams at the bottom wherever we might sit in the grand scheme of things.

I actually don't mind Collingwood generally, but I so want to see them crash and burn badly this year. Something like a 2-win season would be good. Even though that would probably get Buckley sacked, maybe, you never know, and take away the rest of the competition's ace in the hole, I just want to see them be truly terrible. You still know that one of those 2 wins would be against us though. :rolleyes::gun:

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Even in the late 80s and early 90s when we made finals 5 years in a row I only ever felt that we had the slightest very very very tenuous grip on being partially semi-decent, so have no idea what it feels like to walk away from a win with a "ho-hum, well that was as it should be" attitude. Doesn't help that we've always had this habit of losing to the teams at the bottom wherever we might sit in the grand scheme of things.

I actually don't mind Collingwood generally, but I so want to see them crash and burn badly this year. Something like a 2-win season would be good. Even though that would probably get Buckley sacked, maybe, you never know, and take away the rest of the competition's ace in the hole, I just want to see them be truly terrible. You still know that one of those 2 wins would be against us though. :rolleyes::gun:

Interesting that you say you want to see Collingwood crash and burn, you're really channelling your Michael Caine avatar there.

Personally I think if we're favourites we will lose and if we're not favourites we'll lose.

Interesting that you say you want to see Collingwood crash and burn, you're really channelling your Michael Caine avatar there.

Personally I think if we're favourites we will lose and if we're not favourites we'll lose.

images

images

images

images

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves

This is my type of dark and deranged poster. See you at the meetings.

Back