Section 18C and D - Freedom of speech is doing as well as can be expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Also ,

Line in the sand's been drawn.

The line that stays with me there is -

" What is it that they want to be able to say that they CAN'T SAY ALREADY ??? "

C'mon Slim, you know what they want to say, they're just too gutless to admit it. Racists hide in plain sight by complaining about this law.

C'mon Slim, you know what they want to say, they're just too gutless to admit it. Racists hide in plain sight by complaining about this law.

Yep.

Like i mentioned months ago , interested to see who has the minerals to say the things they want to say IN PUBLIC.
And when i say " in public " , i don't mean a tv or radio studio , behind a keyboard at work etc

I mean the street corner , the Woolies down the road , the pub.....
All it will do is increase physical assaults.

" What is it that they want to be able to say that they CAN'T SAY ALREADY ??? "

It's a strawman, there doesn't need to be anything that the Liberals have in mind, they could just want to strengthen and clarify the law so that people can't be taken to the HRC on mere offense.

Yep.

Like i mentioned months ago , interested to see who has the minerals to say the things they want to say IN PUBLIC.
And when i say " in public " , i don't mean a tv or radio studio , behind a keyboard at work etc

I mean the street corner , the Woolies down the road , the pub.....
All it will do is increase physical assaults.

Well exactly so why would it matter if there was a law or not? if social order would take care of those that are racist.

Didn't Gillian Triggs complain about it? Is the current Australian Human Rights Commission President a racist?

I wonder the correlation between 18c fanbois and the desire to divide a nation like Israel over lines of race

trivial words are bad but serious racist actions are OK
Huh? I don't get this comment.

Huh? I don't get this comment.

There's a thread on Israel and Palestine where some want to segregate people based on race. It sound very apartheid and very racist.

My punt is those pro apartheid in Israel/ Palestine are also pro 18c.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two situations are not remotely related. You are conflating two issues that don't belong together.

is that so your position isn't highlighted as being inconsistent?

Using their own argument against them, if people want the right to say whatever they want, then that means people like me have the right to call people racist and bigoted *******s. You can agree or disagree on whether whatever *head in question is actually a racist/bigot or not, but calling someone that is not shutting down free speech. Shutting down free speech is telling someone they can't say something, and usually that is not what the "lefties" do.

Using their own argument against them, if people want the right to say whatever they want, then that means people like me have the right to call people racist and bigoted *******s. You can agree or disagree on whether whatever ****head in question is actually a racist/bigot or not, but calling someone that is not shutting down free speech. Shutting down free speech is telling someone they can't say something, and usually that is not what the "lefties" do.
If you tell them that people have thr right to not observe the national anthem and have a right to burn or destroy an Australian flag, well these are the sort of people that would not like that sort of free speech.

Shutting down free speech is telling someone they can't say something, and usually that is not what the "lefties" do.

Im of the left as well, but there is a big push from a disconcertingly number of people, especialy here in America, to do exactly that.

I can come to work and have a conversation with people who genuinley believe its OK to punch people who they label nazis. I dont even mention free speech in any political discussion because I have genuine concerns doing so will make me seem alt right in the eyes of a couple of them, which would not be a good career move.

My wife goes to a university where large groups of students protest and demand certain speakers have their events cancelled. In other campuses protestors have physically blocked people from entering.

Those arent cherrypicked examples of the worst cases, like those who riot, or hand out petition to remove the first ammendment, or a soft ban on white people from a campus for a day. Thise arent mainstream. But the stuff I mentioned very much is.

Wer'e living in a time when even Bill Maher is increasingly called a racist.

In the 2000's free speech was under attack from the right; this decade its very much the left though.

Using their own argument against them, if people want the right to say whatever they want, then that means people like me have the right to call people racist and bigoted *******s. You can agree or disagree on whether whatever ****head in question is actually a racist/bigot or not, but calling someone that is not shutting down free speech. Shutting down free speech is telling someone they can't say something, and usually that is not what the "lefties" do.
Thats exactly what lefties do, they dont want a debate about ideas, they want to enforce a group think solution (usually sourced from the bowls of the ABC) on all. Anyone who doesnt agree is a racist pig or whatever other expletive they come up with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back