Player Watch Paul Seedsman - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon this is a contract restructuring to massively front load his deal into 2022.

We should have a lot of cap space next year so bringing forward Seedsman's inevitable 2023 contract payments makes sense

Good point, we probably had additional money in the war chest which means we didn't get a big fish this year that we had space for (Rankine?).

Good point, we probably had additional money in the war chest which means we didn't get a big fish this year that we had space for (Rankine?).

Ughhhhhh no, we were never going to land, or have a crack at either Rankine or Lukosius this year.

As someone else has said, it's likely taking advantage of the fact we've got cap space, and it's just taking into account he'd likely to be offered another contract end of 2022 anyway.

Too early for me, I'd have waited to see if his 2021 was more than a flash in the pan.

At least he'll be handy depth, I suppose.
Definitely too early

Seedsman will be 30 next year. 31 in his extension year. Injury prone throughout his career. Role player not a star.

Baffling

I reckon this is a contract restructuring to massively front load his deal into 2022.

We should have a lot of cap space next year so bringing forward Seedsman's inevitable 2023 contract payments makes sense
Wishful thinking IMO. More likely Seedsman is being rewarded for patience, effort, teamwork and continuity. I think his 2023 dollars will reflect his seniority amongst the playing group.

Regardless, he previously had zero dollars committed in 2023. Now he has non-zero dollars. For an injury prone player who will be 31 that’s an unnecessary commitment.

If we really had to give money and an extension to someone to fill our 2022 cap - perhaps we could have chosen someone who will be younger than 31 in the extension year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many stars do we have? It's a one year extension for an A grade outside player which will see him to 31.
There’s just zero need to do it.

He has another great year, give him another one. He has more injuries, we have the option to release him or perhaps rookie him.

It is an unmecessary action. It would have been better to do nothing and wait.

There’s just zero need to do it.

He has another great year, give him another one. He has more injuries, we have the option to release him or perhaps rookie him.

It is an unmecessary action. It would have been better to do nothing and wait.
As Scorpus has suggested, probably more to do with managing 2023 and beyond salcap rather than securing Seed in 2023.

2023 we should have some young guys wanting more coin.

Pay the older guys now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wishful thinking IMO. More likely Seedsman is being rewarded for patience, effort, teamwork and continuity. I think his 2023 dollars will reflect his seniority amongst the playing group.

Regardless, he previously had zero dollars committed in 2023. Now he has non-zero dollars. For an injury prone player who will be 31 that’s an unnecessary commitment.

If we really had to give money and an extension to someone to fill our 2022 cap - perhaps we could have chosen someone who will be younger than 31 in the extension year?
Couldn't see him not getting a 2023 extension regardless of how he performs in 2022

Couldn't see him not getting a 2023 extension regardless of how he performs in 2022
Pretty fatalistic outlook.

We don’t know how his body will survive another year. He might get a significant injury. He might lose his zip. He might have Sholl Dawson Milera’s Hamill take his role.

We should have kept our options open.

We don’t know how his body will survive another year. He might get a significant injury. He might lose his zip. He might have Sholl Dawson Milera’s Hamill take his role.

We should have kept our options open.

Nah, this is a good extension.

Automatically offering large contracts to senior players is something we've thankfully moved away from.

Giving a 29 year old who had an All Australian* season one extra year is totally right the decision. This is what should be rewarded - not tenure.

Looking at the OOC for next year, really the only names that leap out are Keays and McHenry with the rest wait and see types.

Not a bad position to be in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back