Player Watch Paul Seedsman - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty fatalistic outlook.

We don’t know how his body will survive another year. He might get a significant injury. He might lose his zip. He might have Sholl Dawson Milera’s Hamill take his role.

We should have kept our options open.

Those things might happen, sure, but it's not as simple as keeping the options open.

In 2022 we should be struggling to reach the cap floor. Our list is full of inexperienced players or mediocre players. We have to pay money to someone. The choices are overpay young players that haven't earned it, overpay mediocre players, or extend the contracts of good players and front end them.

Obviously you would choose to extend and front end contracts. So now the choice is which player gets that treatment?

If you look at our contracts, almost every single good player we have is already contracted to 2023 and beyond. All our star draftees are in that bag and most of our senior players. Do you really want to further extend those players?

With Seedsman only having one year left, we are gambling that paying him for an extra year is a better outcome than paying someone else that doesn't deserve it. I think that risk is fair and likely to be in our favor.

Excellent news. You'd absolutely think Seed can keep up some resemblance of form until 2023. Would love to see him retire a Crow, something which seems to be a rarity with our players these days

We don’t know how his body will survive another year. He might get a significant injury. He might lose his zip. He might have Sholl Dawson Milera’s Hamill take his role.

We don't know how any player on the list body survives

Milera gets 5 year deal and has struggled with injury since resigning

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to the Seed. Thoroughly deserved. Love watching him play, especially some of those long goals and long runs with bounces. Has always shown he has it, but this year really put it all together. Congratulations to Nicks and the Club for helping to get the best out of him also. May he back this season up next year and even surpass it!

its a 1 year extension for a player who was top 3 in the B&F and made the AA squad.

literally nothing to complain about. Particularly when there is likely to be some money smoothing between years

Solid decision by the club. Only 1 year extra rather than the several we would have given him in the past.

Likely front loaded for salary cap reasons and every bit of front loading we can do now will benefit us 5 years down the track when hopefully our salary cap is strained to breaking point because we're trying to retain so many guns during a flag window.

Well deserved too, it's a pity injuries have meant Seeds could only finally show what he's capable of this year.

Definitely too early

Seedsman will be 30 next year. 31 in his extension year. Injury prone throughout his career. Role player not a star.

Baffling
Understanding it's a bit out of character to extend a 30 YO with 1 year left on his Contract .......it's clearly been done to move some TPP $$$$ around, following Dawson's trade

Fact that he also justifies an extra year, is a secondary benefit

On 2021 yes I think he rates being called a star player ......3rd in B&F .....in AA squad :whitecheck:

I find it odd he was only given a one year extension. It gives me the impression they aren't as bullish on the guy as people in here.

I agree that when a 20 year old only gets a one year extension beyond his initial 2-year draftee contract it’s because they’re not that good and likely to be chopped soon after, but I think Gollant is different.

He was drafted as a skinny project player and his first year was ruined with COVID and no SANFL games.

He bulked up a fair bit last off-season and then hurt his finger requiring surgery and missed half the season - likely not being able to continue his weights program at the optimal level during that time.

He came back and showed great promise in the SANFL, and cracked through for his AFL debut.

I’m sure we rate him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was also keen on a 1-year deal to demonstrate his worth and maximise the $$ in his next deal.

I reckon we’ll be signing him up on a three-year deal around May, unless he wants to head back to Vic because I’m sure he’ll get offers.

Averaging two goals a game in the SANFL as a 19 year old is a great start.

I agree that when a 20 year old only gets a one year extension beyond his initial 2-year draftee contract it’s because they’re not that good and likely to be chopped soon after, but I think Gollant is different.

He was drafted as a skinny project player and his first year was ruined with COVID and no SANFL games.

He bulked up a fair bit last off-season and then hurt his finger requiring surgery and missed half the season - likely not being able to continue his weights program at the optimal level during that time.

He came back and showed great promise in the SANFL, and cracked through for his AFL debut.

I’m sure we rate him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was also keen on a 1-year deal to demonstrate his worth and maximise the $$ in his next deal.

I reckon we’ll be signing him up on a three-year deal around May, unless he wants to head back to Vic because I’m sure he’ll get offers.

Averaging two goals a game in the SANFL as a 19 year old is a great start.
I like what I've seen of the him. He's great in the air and very composed. I just assumed it was a no-brainer and he'd get a 2 year extension. Hopefully he sticks around. We've had a good run at keeping our young players.

Hoping to see many long range goals from Seed, Smith and Jordy

Ned is on the 50m ball in hand, the opposition will struggle to pick up all 3 as a long range option

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
And Fog and Tex. 2 forwards and 3 other players that can pot goals from 50 is a pretty good state to be in.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back