Coaching Footy Seeking Private Coaching in Perth Metropolitan for 11 yo

Remove this Banner Ad

daybas1

Draftee
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was wondering if my 11 year old son could get private coaching particularly for strength and conditioning we live in the North near Churchlands. He has difficulty running out a game and tackling or breaking a tackle. These are all strength and conditioning related so I'd like to work with him on it. But I am looking for a coach who can help map out a program for him to improve endurance and strength.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I was wondering if my 11 year old son could get private coaching particularly for strength and conditioning we live in the North near Churchlands. He has difficulty running out a game and tackling or breaking a tackle. These are all strength and conditioning related so I'd like to work with him on it. But I am looking for a coach who can help map out a program for him to improve endurance and strength.

I dont how you are supposed to tackle and bring another play to ground these days. I was taught to pin the arms and bring down but thats a no no now Breaking a tackle is easy, Learn to get the ball and arms above the chest when tackle is coming. Again that technique goes back to pinning the arms. Junior footy must be a Shhh show these days

At 11 be very careful that this all remains fun and that it is his motivation.

At this age my son used to run the school cross country course across summer....I'd offer to take him and if he ever didn't want to go that was absolutely fine...I'd guess he would run it 4 times a week and we'd kick the footy after.

The other thing he liked was a mini circuit - plank, exercise bike, squats etc but only a few minutes on each. He was (and still is) quite motivated and I see my role as a parent is to moderate this and keep him loving the game and not stressing a young body.

In winter it was just footy training, with more a focus on skills.

Could you ask his current club for suggestions for an off season program?

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
My son who is 10 has never seemed motivated about the running side of the game, whether footy or basketball. It didn't help that I was his coach.

He has just applied for a place in WABL (West Australian Basketball League). It is not like other sport at this age where kids get equal time and its all about fun. The kids have to commit to it 100% to be a chance of getting in the team and getting court time. The coaches work them incredibly hard at training. His fitness level is noticeably better. It was simply his motivation to make it that was the difference.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
My son who is 10 has never seemed motivated about the running side of the game, whether footy or basketball. It didn't help that I was his coach.

He has just applied for a place in WABL (West Australian Basketball League). It is not like other sport at this age where kids get equal time and its all about fun. The kids have to commit to it 100% to be a chance of getting in the team and getting court time. The coaches work them incredibly hard at training. His fitness level is noticeably better. It was simply his motivation to make it that was the difference.

While we'll never see it with the talent pool, WABL is excellent, since a coach might only have 10 kids to coach they are all just passionate about basketball. It's a great community where guys genuinely are there to help. They'll make sure your trained right, even if you dont actually see court-time at all for a year or two every single coach i've come across (play my hand, i've done some coaching with WABL as well) just want to see the kids get better

Good luck. It's one of the things i absolutely adored as a child, and probably kept me from partying and trouble untill the age of 17 rather then 13!

There is also a few really good little skill session ran now and then, If your kid is really keen (and some of them can be pricey) look at them.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
While we'll never see it with the talent pool, WABL is excellent, since a coach might only have 10 kids to coach they are all just passionate about basketball. It's a great community where guys genuinely are there to help. They'll make sure your trained right, even if you dont actually see court-time at all for a year or two every single coach i've come across (play my hand, i've done some coaching with WABL as well) just want to see the kids get better

Good luck. It's one of the things i absolutely adored as a child, and probably kept me from partying and trouble untill the age of 17 rather then 13!

There is also a few really good little skill session ran now and then, If your kid is really keen (and some of them can be pricey) look at them.

The WABL coaches are terrific. My son is training at Lakeside and the men’s SBL coach took the kids for the first half an hour today. The kids hung off every word he spoke.

Saoirse

Draftee
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Saoirse

Draftee
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi,
I’m extremely passionate in providing excellent footy coaching to the next generation of footy stars! I am currently taking new players to privately coach and I’m pretty flexible hours wise. I myself am currently recovering from an injury so I know a fair bit about strength and conditioning in footy, and I would love to help out if your son is still keen? Here is my email address if you would like to get in touch: saoirse.hanavan@gmail.com
Kind regards,
Saoirse😊

Carlos Bigtraj

Draftee
Nov 24, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes gidday Saoirse my son Darcy is interested in your offer to coach. He is currently being courted by a number of AFL CLUBS and is showing a good deal of promise has just come out of the bushrangers programme ( he got cut because of his size although he has grown since) and he has also just cocaptained his team thhe Mooroopna cats. 3rds. To a preliminary final where are you located? Regards Carlos

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes gidday Saoirse my son Darcy is interested in your offer to coach. He is currently being courted by a number of AFL CLUBS and is showing a good deal of promise has just come out of the bushrangers programme ( he got cut because of his size although he has grown since) and he has also just cocaptained his team thhe Mooroopna cats. 3rds. To a preliminary final where are you located? Regards Carlos

What do you think he needs to work on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back