Multiplat Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 2019 Game Awards GOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm using a free trial of Amazon Prime with expedited delivery. They claim they'll deliver the game on release day. We'll see. I've never used Amazon AU before but it was $62, which seems pretty fair.

A few here have been burned by Amazon, not sure if it was their Prime service though.

I’m all downloaded and it was only 12gb? Hopefully it’s unlocked by the time I get home from work, Steam gets funky with release times and Australia sometimes.

Edit: just had a search and apparently it is only installing to around 25gb on all platforms which was the same as DS3 (not sure on that, never checked, but I’ll trust the interwebs).

im definitely interested in this but i have an issue with the from soft. games... i got 3 quarters of the way through DS1, DS3 & Bloodborne but im just not good enough to finish any. it does look good though.

Kinda my problem, I just don't have the patience to play these games in the spirit of what it was designed for. I'm happy to just enjoy the story with a challenge, not with getting destroyed every time.

Digital Foundry did a great comparison on performance between versions. From Software have polished everything up a bit from Bloodborne and DS3, however the game has issues with frame pacing across all consoles which seems to be a reoccurring theme with their games. The 120hz output for One X is interesting though. Using a setting like that on a game that can't hold a steady 30fps causes judder, but 35-40fps seems to be the sweet spot and works here.

About to start playing tonight, looking forward to playing it again when they release a optimised version that runs properly... come on From

finished the tutorial. the aesthetic and tone are obviously familiar (only properly played DS3 out of the collection) but that's a plus for me. too early to judge gameplay generally, but am struggling to get the parrying right (i realise that's part of the point lol, but * im too old haha).

PC controls are pretty much like DS3 but with a much-needed option to swap on-screen displays to keyboard instead of xbox controller. im still not a fan of the camera control but it's no worse than DS3 and i adjusted to that pretty quickly. looking forward to putting in a proper session over the weekend.

I was meant to jump on this last night but I got carried away with Division 2. This is brutal. I'm only half a dozen 'bonfires' in but there is apparently a massive difficulty spike coming and I'm not sure I'm ready yet. As different is it is meant to be from Souls the fundamentals are still there. It's methodical, deliberate, learn the tells and read your enemies. However, with Souls that can be a bit slow, rhythmic and turgid at times, this is more frenetic. The stealth component is cool to thin out the enemies as making a slip up in combat can be unforgiving. It gets you into the mindset of parrying very early in the game so that's not as much of an issue as I initially thought it might. It seems easier to parry than Souls too because it's the same moment regardless of the enemy and their animation. Dodging however I'm struggling with. It seems like dodging into the attacking hand rather than away is more effective but I'll need to trial it more. I've stopped dodging for now because when I stuff it up I keep getting wrecked.

Completely stuck at drunk dude and ogre. Chained ogre is absolutely giving me the shits. Even using fire, I might get him down to half way into his final life only for his bullshit grab to 360 track me and it's game over. Drunk guy in the estate I think I just need some more abilities or health as he doesn't seem to have any cheesy inta-gib bullshit and isn't too bad to read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda my problem, I just don't have the patience to play these games in the spirit of what it was designed for. I'm happy to just enjoy the story with a challenge, not with getting destroyed every time.
Same here. Was keen on this until I heard how difficult it was going to be. I like some challenge but don't have the patience for something like this.

It's ******* tough, but I'm loving it so far. Chained ogre def gave me fits last night as well, seems like it's a bit of a roadblock for a lot of people.

I watched some videos on it (great sign if I'm doing that already...) and like many people the problem is I'm stuck in Souls mode trying to dodge. In saying that though you can't be too greedy with him otherwise the grab will get you every time, but I'm finding that even if I do that then sometimes his grab will get me regardless if I dodge or jump out of the way.

I'm not sure where From got the easier than Souls stuff from, this is absurdly harder.

I watched some videos on it (great sign if I'm doing that already...) and like many people the problem is I'm stuck in Souls mode trying to dodge. In saying that though you can't be too greedy with him otherwise the grab will get you every time, but I'm finding that even if I do that then sometimes his grab will get me regardless if I dodge or jump out of the way.

I'm not sure where From got the easier than Souls stuff from, this is absurdly harder.
The attack I had the biggest problem with was the dive forward. I think what I found success with was not giving him too much room and baiting out the non blockable attacks and dodging, getting in a couple of hits and repeating, seems he's less likely to do the kanji attacks like that.

I feel ya with being stuck early on playing it a different way, I still play Bloodborne from time to time and I dodge too much instead of using deflecting to break posture.

I'm doing okay. I just beat the chained ogre and the general immediately after. The ogre took me a few goes because I wasn't being attacking enough. I killed the general on the first go though.

I've got the posture system down pretty well and I'm getting plenty of deflections. It took a little bit of training my mind not to spam R1. You want to be using L1 & R1 evenly in this game. Hitting and deflecting are equally as important.

I love the traversal. Using the grappling hook to get around is a lot of fun. I still haven't mastered using it in combat though. I also having trouble getting used to the side-step. I was expecting something like the side-step from Bloodborne but it feels a little different in Sekiro.

I'm a little surprised by the amount of stealth. I don't mind it though being a fan of Tenchu and MGS.

I know what my problem is, I'm playing like Souls when I need to getting in there and parrying to wreck their posture. Instead I'm trying to attack and dodge the enemy. I know I'm doing this but it's really hard to break out of.
At least you know the issue you're having, I had the same one but there's a boss that comes up that really forces you to get that mix of deflecting/aggresiveness right in order to progress. It's a big skill check.

Completely stuck at drunk dude and ogre. Chained ogre is absolutely giving me the shits. Even using fire, I might get him down to half way into his final life only for his bullshit grab to 360 track me and it's game over. Drunk guy in the estate I think I just need some more abilities or health as he doesn't seem to have any cheesy inta-gib bullshit and isn't too bad to read.

Apparently you can wipe the mobs and then stealth attack him, then talk to the blue guy.

I've been watching videos already too. But I think it's due to the dragonrot mechanic and I don't want to get my mates sick. Sort of wish I could just die a lot on bosses without any penalty. I'm also pretty bad and the only way I beat DS3 was by watching videos so no shame as it's better than not.

Beat the ogre last night and the key difference for me was to dodge backwards instead of sideways, seem to make him miss more. Other helpers was the stealth backstab for half health early (although I assume you do this anyway) and holding off the fire till he was near his last 1/3. I find when I get close to killing a boss I'm more likely to get greedy and stuff up. Fire made it easy to get free hits and then another group of free hits after using the prosthetic again.

I'm enjoying the game, just need to git gud.

I've been watching videos already too. But I think it's due to the dragonrot mechanic and I don't want to get my mates sick. Sort of wish I could just die a lot on bosses without any penalty. I'm also pretty bad and the only way I beat DS3 was by watching videos so no shame as it's better than not.

Beat the ogre last night and the key difference for me was to dodge backwards instead of sideways, seem to make him miss more. Other helpers was the stealth backstab for half health early (although I assume you do this anyway) and holding off the fire till he was near his last 1/3. I find when I get close to killing a boss I'm more likely to get greedy and stuff up. Fire made it easy to get free hits and then another group of free hits after using the prosthetic again.

I'm enjoying the game, just need to git gud.

I thought dragon rot was only if you resurrected? If it's just tied to dying then I've spread it around the entire world by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back