Opinion Selection Nightmares

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its hard for us on the outer to understand what goes on internally in clubland and the exact issues as to why some players simply dont get selected week after week and often the same excuses get trotted out by the club.

'they have things to work on'
'they aren't doing enough in the sanfl to warrant selection'
'we have players playing well enough in the AFL'

The Sanfl simply isnt the development league we thought it would be, the AFL is a different beast altogether and my view is we should have never stopped bringing in young players to develop.

Crows Damning Selection stats: 32 players used

However if it feels like we are rotating the same players over and over again you're not mistaken.

9 players have played every game this year (16)
17 players have played 15 games or more
21 players have played 14 games or more this year
23 players have played 10 games or more this year
25 players have played 5 games or more. Schoenberg, Worrell

Players who have played 1-4 games
Crouch 1, McAdam 1, Brown 1, Himmelberg 3, Gollant 3, Berry 4, Parnell 4

Players not selected regardless of reason (injured etc)
Hamill, Taylor, Newchurch, Nankervis, Dowling, Borlase, Bond, Strachan, Keane, Cook, Hately, McPherson

In a season where we are 8w 8L the selection seem off. we are selecting like a team in the top 4 who doesnt lose games.

Port Comparison
Players used 37

9 players played every game
10 players have played 15 or more
13 players have played 14 or more
22 players have played 10 or more
28 players have played 5 or more

What this tells me is Port went out of their way to find opportunities to continue to develop players in an unbeaten run of 13 games. Nicks couldnt be arsed doing it in a win loss ratio of 8 / 8 and been out of finals the previous 3 seasons. That stat is damning.

Collingwood Comparison
Players used 35

10 players played every game
15 players have played 15 or more
16 players have played 14 or more
23 players have played 10 or more
26 players have played 5 or more

Yet again, this is damning. Collingwood top and rotated through more players.

Essendon Comparison
Players used 32

6 players played every game
12 players have played 15 or more
15 players have played 14 or more
29 players have played 5 or more

Is this a joke? WTF is Nicks doing?

21 players played 14/16 games

You'd think we'd be top of the ladder with that attitude

Its damning and honestly, Nicks needs to be smashed over it. He needs to defend it publicly. The media have let this skate through because of blinkers on about finals in true Adelaide media style. But this is a pure crap stat and its incomprehensible in a development year for this to have happened.

Its hard for us on the outer to understand what goes on internally in clubland and the exact issues as to why some players simply dont get selected week after week and often the same excuses get trotted out by the club.

The Sanfl simply isnt the development league we thought it would be, the AFL is a different beast altogether and my view is we should have never stopped bringing in young players to develop.

However if it feels like we are rotating the same players over and over again you're not mistaken.

Hamill, Taylor, Newchurch, Nankervis, Dowling, Borlase, Bond, Strachan, Keane, Cook, Hately, McPherson

In a season where we are 8w 8L the selection seem off. we are selecting like a team in the top 4 who doesnt lose games.

Port Comparison
Players used 37

What this tells me is Port went out of their way to find opportunities to continue to develop players in an unbeaten run of 13 games. Nicks couldnt be arsed doing it in a win loss ratio of 8 / 8 and been out of finals the previous 3 seasons. That stat is damning.

Collingwood Comparison
Players used 35

Essendon Comparison
Players used 32

Great analysis.

Said in preseason & during the year we should be smart about our player management & rotate players to keep them fresh... which helps develop depth.

We do this poorly imo.

Great analysis.

Said in preseason & during the year we should be smart about our player management & rotate players to keep them fresh... which helps develop depth.

We do this poorly imo.

I'm going to say it.

what was the most common complaint last year? - Nick was too defensive and from the outside looking in he was coaching to keep his job. The lack of selection of younger players coming through this year is statistically proven and is maybe more evidence he has found a formula that looks good enough to keep his job a bit longer and he is scared to make tough decisions to develop more players.

8th is more important than development at the Adelaide Football Club.

I think it is for Nicks. I am not sure the power brokers at the club setting the original rebuild targets will be thrilled with Nicks selection policies especially when our ladder position indicates mediocre while his selection policies indicate top 4. But whats worse, statistically those top 4 clubs are developing players and we aren't.

Its damning and honestly, Nicks needs to be smashed over it. He needs to defend it publicly. The media have let this skate through because of blinkers on about finals in true Adelaide media style. But this is a pure crap stat and its incomprehensible in a development year for this to have happened.

Your mistake is thinking this is a development year. Nicks has never selected for development, it’s always to win that week.

Is it really any surprise that Nicks has the same selection philosophy that Pyke had? It was the same people employing them.

Pyke did get the team to a GF, Nicks......

The football department is the football department and no board member would be dictating anything other than expectation of eoy results. Of course the drive is to always improve but is this actual improvement? Beating up on teams at home, jogging around and chasing lost games away. Something stinks and we've surely come too far in the rebuild to think its done and be happy with mediocre city.

I dont think Roo or the club is internally happy with this.

Your mistake is thinking this is a development year. Nicks has never selected for development, it’s always to win that week.

The beginning of the year he was selecting other players. Then we beat Port, Fremantle and Carlton and from there that gifted Nicks a formula good enough to win games and he subsequently stopped developing.

Port Comparison
Players used 37

Collingwood Comparison
Players used 35

Essendon Comparison
Players used 32

WaynesWorld19 care to comment

If you're trying to suggest any player in the SANFL side would have changed today's smorgasboard of mediocrity, you're speaking to the wrong man

It started in the midfield & finished in the midfield ......who from the SANFL could have played midfield and changed the course of the game .....no-one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're trying to suggest any player in the SANFL side would have changed today's smorgasboard of mediocrity, you're speaking to the wrong man

It started in the midfield & finished in the midfield ......who from the SANFL could have played midfield and changed the course of the game .....no-one

Thats not my point. I will just clarify that first.

My point is we need players to be developed and we have a whole host sitting in the Sanfl waiting. They wont change our win/loss this year but damn, they need games and I can't work out for the life of me how our selection policy came about. There is no shred of evidence to back its existence up other than Nicks protecting his job by consistently putting the best team he can on the park.

No I’m not, given the post I quoted said nothing about that, I’m guessing you are having comprehension issues again.

See if you can identify the crux of the post and come up with a response. Might need to put away your Nicks doll first and show some objectivity.

Thats not my point. I will just clarify that first.

My point is we need players to be developed and we have a whole host sitting in the Sanfl waiting. They wont change our win/loss this year but damn, they need games and I can't work out for the life of me how our selection policy came about. There is no shred of evidence to back its existence up other than Nicks protecting his job by consistently putting the best team he can on the park.
That said .....was this game the one to experiment, and play someone, who's not ready

Anyone watching the SANFL can see there's no-one busting the door down .....to bring selection into the loss discussion, is simply a diversion

Players are being developed ....Soligo, Thiltorpe, Michaelanney, Schoenberg (sub today), Pedlar .....how many do you want to play, B4 you end up another NORTH MELB ?

As it was .....Soligo, Rachelle, Michaelanney, and Thilthorpe were bog ordinary today .....but they had some experienced mates as well

That said .....was this game the one to experiment, and play someone, who's not ready

Anyone watching the SANFL can see there's no-one busting the door down .....to bring selection into the loss discussion, is simply a diversion

Players are being developed ....Soligo, Thiltorpe, Michaelanney, Schoenberg (sub today), Pedlar .....how many do you want to play, B4 you end up another NORTH MELB ?

As it was .....Soligo, Rachelle, Michaelanney, and Thilthorpe were bog ordinary today .....but they had some experienced mates as well
You’ve been calling for Nankervis for weeks!!

But it shouldn’t be about today - why would we persist with Sloane in the centre as he displayed a lack of winning ball -we inject pedlar and later schoenberg and boom we win clearances…

he has found a “safe” formula for his job and he’s sticking To it

But it shouldn’t be about today - why would we persist with Sloane in the centre as he displayed a lack of winning ball -we inject pedlar and later schoenberg and boom we win clearances…

he has found a “safe” formula for his job and he’s sticking To it
Not really .....that call resulted in a loss ....so I can't see how playing safe with Sloane favours Nicks .....it actually hurts him .....as did playing Rachelle in the midfield, who's clearly not ready

So Rachelle's role was development today .....no other explanation ....and again, how does that help Nicks in a "must win" game

Does Nicks get a pat on the back for developing Rachelle in CBA's .....but loses the game ......no-way

Oh, this is easy.

So, today should never have happened and here is why.

The selection policies of bring players in for games from the Sanfl should have been a consistent attitude all year. Today happened because Nicks got backed into a corner by his current selection policy and it got exposed for what it was. A team good enough to beat out of form teams and lower table teams but a side not capable of doing anymore than that.

As for players not performing in the Sanfl, this excuse shits me off more than any other because its a falsehood. We dont know what the players are asked to focus on for that game. For example, Berry may have been asked in some games to work on his outside ball and this may rely heavily on our non listed Sanfl players abilities to get the ball to Berry, so when he gets it he maybe under pressure moreso had it been Sloane or Soligo passing him the ball at AFL level and he shanks his passes all day. Thats just an example. But you can see how easy it would be to assume Berry played like crap.

Now think of being ignored every selection week regardless of how well you play. Moral is a thing and you just cant ignore the Sanfl players and expect them to be all up and about all the time.

Not really .....that call resulted in a loss ....so I can't see how playing safe with Sloane favours Nicks .....it actually hurts him .....as did playing Rachelle in the midfield, who's clearly not ready

So Rachelle's role was development today .....no other explanation ....and again, how does that help Nicks in a "must win" game

Does Nicks get a pat on the back for developing Rachelle in CBA's .....but loses the game ......no-way

It resulted in a safe loss. 18 points after being 40 down. Makes Nicks come out looking good doesn't it as he has a fighting team.

It’s because Nicks judgement is so off on occasions he actually thinks Sloane is contributing and he thinks playing Jones down back, Sloane on the wing is safer than playing Nankervis down back and leaving Jones on the wing.

It resulted in a safe loss. 18 points after being 40 down. Makes Nicks come out looking good doesn't it as he has a fighting team.
There's nothing out of today, that makes Nicks positional plays look good ......selection was a non entity in the result

What irks me, is the side we put on the ground today, was clearly a better team than ESS ......but they attacked the ball harder than us ......Thilthorpe was a lily-leaf, Soligo non-existent ......Sholl pulled out of contests twice, one in the 1st half, where he put up a token intercept spoil by going up behind the contest, instead of going to the front of the contest, and wearing one for the team ......it was a weak effort !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back