Opinion Selection Nightmares

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a couple of points out of today - and the selection issues

• one of the key objectives to developing a squad is to get games into a group of players so they become familiar with each other to improve connection
  • we have had very few injuries
  • there is no one in the SANFL banging the door down

Having said that I do believe Newchurch should have played last year when he had that vein of form. Nankervis this year I am a bit meh, not sure he has done enough to pass any of the chosen ones.

More importantly - and the positive to take from this game - is that it’s another massive reinforcement that we need another star quick midfielder if we are to go anywhere. And we need to spend whatever we need to in draft cap and salary cap to get one

I heard on the radio Merrett had Brownlow votes from his last 3 games against us - and that’s likely now 12 from his last 4

And GWS this week who match up midfield wise very well against us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's nothing out of today, that makes Nicks positional plays look good ......selection was a non entity in the result

What irks me, is the side we put on the ground today, was clearly a better team than ESS ......but they attacked the ball harder than us ......Thilthorpe was a lily-leaf, Soligo non-existent ......Sholl pulled out of contests twice, one in the 1st half, where he put up a token intercept spoil by going up behind the contest, instead of going to the front of the contest, and wearing one for the team ......it was a weak effort !

But again, this is all about handing games to the same 25 players all year. For all we know, Cook or Nankervis or both could have come in 8 weeks ago and averaged 20 possessions and kicked 10 goals. Borlase could be a sensational defender. But we dont know this because they never got the opportunity. Instead we see sholl continue to be mediocre, McHenry out of his depth, Murphy hit and miss, Sloane fading etc. The list goes on and on. But we win one week and we look like millionaires and then lose the next.

Honestly, i would rather finish 10th and have played 5 more players for 5-10 more games than finish 8th, lose the first week of finals and we did minimal development and dont know our list. Winning culture is good culture but only when its done in the right way.

There is a couple of points out of today - and the selection issues

• one of the key objectives to developing a squad is to get games into a group of players so they become familiar with each other to improve connection
  • we have had very few injuries
  • there is no one in the SANFL banging the door down

Having said that I do believe Newchurch should have played last year when he had that vein of form. Nankervis this year I am a bit meh, not sure he has done enough to pass any of the chosen ones.

More importantly - and the positive to take from this game - is that it’s another massive reinforcement that we need another star quick midfielder if we are to go anywhere. And we need to spend whatever we need to in draft cap and salary cap to get one

I heard on the radio Merrett had Brownlow votes from his last 3 games against us - and that’s likely now 12 from his last 4

And GWS this week who match up midfield wise very well against us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And that's massively dependent on them selecting the right players. At the moment that includes the likes of Murphy, Sholl, McHenry and Sloane who are neither playing all that well to justify their positions or show enough that they'll be capable of developing into better players with more experience.

So you shouldn't just keep playing players for the sake of it, that's just wasting precious game time. We just keep throwing these same guys out there hoping they'll justify it and apart from Jones it just hasn't really worked.

And that's massively dependent on them selecting the right players. At the moment that includes the likes of Murphy, Sholl, McHenry and Sloane who are neither playing all that well to justify their positions or show enough that they'll be capable of developing into better players with more experience.

So you shouldn't just keep playing players for the sake of it, that's just wasting precious game time. We just keep throwing these same guys out there hoping they'll justify it and apart from Jones it just hasn't really worked.

As I said, using the excuse of no one is knocking the door down at Sanfl level is a poor excuse because the Sanfl is a glorified babysitting league where our players go for fitness and their form from game to game is dictated by the quality of the other non listed players on the day combined with what their coaches want to see them work on. It really doesn't give us great insight into how they will perform at AFL level. It never has.

Not really .....that call resulted in a loss ....so I can't see how playing safe with Sloane favours Nicks .....it actually hurts him .....as did playing Rachelle in the midfield, who's clearly not ready

So Rachelle's role was development today .....no other explanation ....and again, how does that help Nicks in a "must win" game

Does Nicks get a pat on the back for developing Rachelle in CBA's .....but loses the game ......no-way
Because a competitive loss is easy to defend - ”oh we got close” - rather than big picture get some experience into the young guys.

Because a competitive loss is easy to defend - ”oh we got close” - rather than big picture get some experience into the young guys.
It's clear by the general feeling tonight, a competitive loss is not being accepted ......when a win was expected, and rightly so

This is a club culture issue. Been like this for 20 years

2017 Comparison
Players used 31

5 players played every game 25
18 players have played 20 or more
23 players have played 15 or more
24 players have played 10 or more
27 players have played 5 or more

This is similar to what we are doing now yet we were top and boss team for the entire year but the GF.

We dont have the players we did back then to warrant such a lack of selection. This isnt a club policy its a Nicks policy.

In 2014 we used 36 players finished 10th W 11 / L 11

8 players played every game (22)
11 players have played 20 or more
17 players have played 15 or more
23 players have played 10 or more
32 players have played 5 or more

That was done by a sacked coach and that development set us up for the the 2017 shot at the premiership and that was amongst losing players each year to interstate clubs. Yes we lost but we still made it and it was a great season.

This selection strategy is all on Nicks.

2017 Comparison
Players used 31

5 players played every game 25
18 players have played 20 or more
23 players have played 15 or more
24 players have played 10 or more
27 players have played 5 or more

This is similar to what we are doing now yet we were top and boss team for the entire year but the GF.

We dont have the players we did back then to warrant such a lack of selection. This isnt a club policy its a Nicks policy.

In 2014 we used 36 players finished 10th W 11 / L 11

8 players played every game (22)
11 players have played 20 or more
17 players have played 15 or more
23 players have played 10 or more
32 players have played 5 or more

That was done by a sacked coach and that development set us up for the the 2017 shot at the premiership and that was amongst losing players each year to interstate clubs. Yes we lost but we still made it and it was a great season.

This selection strategy is all on Nicks.
Strikes me as a board directive. Ie club policy.

Strikes me as a board directive. Ie club policy.

There is no board on the planet that would direct a coach on who and what to select and when. The minute a board does that, the minute no one will coach there and the culture turns to mediocre s**t. Sorry but you are just looking to blame anyone but Nicks.

There is no board on the planet that would direct a coach on who and what to select and when. The minute a board does that, the minute no one will coach there and the culture turns to mediocre s**t. Sorry but you are just looking to blame anyone but Nicks.
Have you met the AFC board. It's entirely believable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve debuted ONE player this year, ONE.

We must have drafted very poorly if we couldn’t have debuted one other player.
This is the most disgusting thing about it all..

Nicksy and his cohort clearly think the current 22-25 team.. that has five very obvious weak links in

sloane
keays
sholl
murphy
mchenry

is good enough to play finals..

this is completely and utterly delusional.

But my worry is that Nicksy and his cohorts only aim is to make the 8. They would love to go further of course.. but making the 8 is their real aim. Make the 8 and they get to keep their jobs.

we have young lads with far more talent than those 5 named above that are rotting away in the SANFL..

and some dickheads here think they arent worthy of a call up cause they arent dominating that league in “dustin martin-esque” fashion..

the whole sanfl league is a complete joke. The way it is umpired against our lads back there is disgusting and soul destroying.

its impossible for any of our players to play their normal game because if they go in too hard and evenly lightly fart near an opponent they get a free kick given against them..

But then their opponents can hold, scrag, push out, jump all over, illegally shepherd to their hearts content without barely a whimper from the umps.

how are you meant to develop a game as a player dealing with that shitfulness.

that north game two weeks ago was astoundingly bad.. that bald headed fxxk shouldve been banned for life from umpiring after that game. It was blatant cheating.

i’m pretty certain we cannot use the sanfl as a yardstick to measure the progress of our youth. It is demeaning making them play in it. And we see it when we lift one out of it and bring them into the AFL side and they actually perform well.. and we all go “wow, didnt know this lad was this good.. why didnt we play him earlier?”

borlase shouldve come in today.

mcadam shouldve been picked over murphy

newchurch needs to be given a go.

nankervis needs a go.

berry played well yesterday.. he could very easily replace sloane and do ten times better than sloane currently is..

please dont leave bond and dowling down their for a year and a half rotting before giving them a chance (both look like very smart footballers).

we’ve seen enough from those five guys named up the top to know they arent up to it and most definitely never will be. We’ve seen enough from them all to know it by now.

so persisting with them and not trying other options is just fxxking dumb.. and will NEVER end up building a team capable of making finals and having a big impact..

we need to swap them out asap… and if the blokes they bring in to replace them dont cut the mustard.. swap them out.. and you keep doing it until you do find the right blokes.

It’s because Nicks judgement is so off on occasions he actually thinks Sloane is contributing and he thinks playing Jones down back, Sloane on the wing is safer than playing Nankervis down back and leaving Jones on the wing.
*, even playing Sloane HFF, Jones wing and Nank HBF with Murphy out is an improvement.

This is the most disgusting thing about it all..

Nicksy and his cohort clearly think the current 22-25 team.. that has five very obvious weak links in

sloane
keays
sholl
murphy
mchenry

is good enough to play finals..

this is completely and utterly delusional.

But my worry is that Nicksy and his cohorts only aim is to make the 8. They would love to go further of course.. but making the 8 is their real aim. Make the 8 and they get to keep their jobs.

we have young lads with far more talent than those 5 named above that are rotting away in the SANFL..

and some dickheads here think they arent worthy of a call up cause they arent dominating that league in “dustin martin-esque” fashion..

the whole sanfl league is a complete joke. The way it is umpired against our lads back there is disgusting and soul destroying.

its impossible for any of our players to play their normal game because if they go in too hard and evenly lightly fart near an opponent they get a free kick given against them..

But then their opponents can hold, scrag, push out, jump all over, illegally shepherd to their hearts content without barely a whimper from the umps.

how are you meant to develop a game as a player dealing with that shitfulness.

that north game two weeks ago was astoundingly bad.. that bald headed fxxk shouldve been banned for life from umpiring after that game. It was blatant cheating.

i’m pretty certain we cannot use the sanfl as a yardstick to measure the progress of our youth. It is demeaning making them play in it. And we see it when we lift one out of it and bring them into the AFL side and they actually perform well.. and we all go “wow, didnt know this lad was this good.. why didnt we play him earlier?”

borlase shouldve come in today.

mcadam shouldve been picked over murphy

newchurch needs to be given a go.

nankervis needs a go.

berry played well yesterday.. he could very easily replace sloane and do ten times better than sloane currently is..

please dont leave bond and dowling down their for a year and a half rotting before giving them a chance (both look like very smart footballers).

we’ve seen enough from those five guys named up the top to know they arent up to it and most definitely never will be. We’ve seen enough from them all to know it by now.

so persisting with them and not trying other options is just fxxking dumb.. and will NEVER end up building a team capable of making finals and having a big impact..

we need to swap them out asap… and if the blokes they bring in to replace them dont cut the mustard.. swap them out.. and you keep doing it until you do find the right blokes.
Hate to break it to you, but Keays is consistently in our best dozen players each game. His skills are crap but his gut running and straight line through the ball propels him above so many others.

Hate to break it to you, but Keays is consistently in our best dozen players each game. His skills are crap but his gut running and straight line through the ball propels him above so many others.
Agree he gives his all..

but

He can gut run to his hearts content.. in the SANFL.

if he isnt being pushed out of the 22 next season by our up and coming youth, and any others we may trade or draft in this year, then our drafting, in particular, needs to be overhauled.. big time.

his poor skills can be overlooked for a 22 thats bottom 5 and in a rebuild mode.. but when it gets up to the other pointy end of the ladder and big finals games.. that s**t just doesnt cut it.

and that was glaringly obvious in that finals like game against the Pies two weeks ago at the G. He was atrocious.

our current bottom 5-6 players (as I named in that previous post) is shitful.. just deplorable. you need a far better bottom 5 if you want to be top 4 and contending for a flag..

dont believe me?.. go look at the last 10 flag winners.. pick their bottom 5-6 players and compare them to the five I’ve named above. For a start.. It’ll be hard enough just picking the bottom 5 players of those premiership teams.

Agree he gives his all..

but

if he isnt being pushed out of the 22 next season by our up and coming youth, and any others we may trade or draft in this year, then our drafting, in particular, needs to be overhauled.. big time.

his poor skills can be overlooked for a 22 thats bottom 5 and in a rebuild mode.. but when it gets up to the other pointy end of the ladder and big finals games.. that s**t just doesnt cut it.

and that was glaringly obvious in that finals like game against the Pies two weeks ago at the G. He was atrocious.

our current bottom 5-6 players (as I named in that previous post) is shitful.. just deplorable. you need a far better bottom 5 if you want to be top 4 and contending for a flag..

dont believe me?.. go look at the last 10 flag winners.. pick their bottom 5-6 players and compare them to the five I’ve named above. For a start.. It’ll be hard enough just picking the bottom 5 players of those premiership teams.
I'd happily argue Keays is first 22 in most teams as a HFF with short bursts in the mids

That's his spot and I could see him a premiership winning player playing that role for a team.

Great analysis but a deeply upsetting thread. Proves yet again we have been sucked in by this club and nothing has really changed. It's still a club whose primary concern is to just make the 8 rather than build a multi premiership winning culture.

If you're trying to suggest any player in the SANFL side would have changed today's smorgasboard of mediocrity, you're speaking to the wrong man

It started in the midfield & finished in the midfield ......who from the SANFL could have played midfield and changed the course of the game .....no-one
Who would have thought we would lose a game by only having a C grade midfield. We'll I suppose we all did. Well all of us minus the Adelaide recruiting dept. For 10 plus drafts.

Agree he gives his all..

but

In a good side, even if he was getting a game, Keays would be the biggest headache in your 22, the guy always skating on thin ice. But given the state of our 22, there at least 4 or 5 players ahead of him who are more of a concern (Sloane, Murphy, Sholl and Mchenry).

The winner post is that previous that pointed out our debutant this year - in a club in a rebuild we couldn’t give Nank, Borlase or Newchurch at least a taste - we must have been worried about West Coast and North turning things around rather than add experience to our squad.

sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back