Opinion Selection Nightmares

Remove this Banner Ad

The true test of this selection theory of the 25 is this weekend. Im almost 100% convinced Ned will simply go back to Sub and Schoenberg comes into the side. No one will actually get omitted unless Butts comes back in. The same line will be from Nicks he will back the boys to respond. Nicks is really becoming the Neil Craig Special.
Would be disappointing if the changes are limited to Butts for Schoenberg & McHenry or Sholl to sub.

I think where you get your thoughts on Keays wrong, is that it's not about skills with every player ......every player in the 22 isn't going to have Dawson type skills .....albeit, he's been tardy of late

His skills are fine .....there are 15 Mids with worse skills than Keays

What Keays brings in an unquestionable appetite for the contest, no matter the state of the game .......he stood up again yesterday, and he'll stand up in Finals

His ability to win a contest, have the left side, and know how to wrong foot opponents is great ......yes his kicking is unreliable ....but that advantages good forward

His kicking has been spoken about enough, but I wish he'd improve his technique of disposing of the ball by hand.

Its like he needs a complete windup before every handball, so when he gets tackled its very unlikely that he is able to dispose of the ball effectively.

His kicking has been spoken about enough, but I wish he'd improve his technique of disposing of the ball by hand.

Its like he needs a complete windup before every handball, so when he gets tackled its very unlikely that he is able to dispose of the ball effectively.
Its not only that.. he, and sloane for that matter, fumble the ball too often. How often have we seen it. Sloane or keays having two, sometime three, grabs at the ball at CB’s before they finally take full possession.. and here’s where I will state that Sloane is the worst of the two at it currently.

you cant do it anymore. the game is so quick these days that even one small fumble puts you immediately under pressure and on the backfoot.

which then means you panic and dispose of the football in haste.. none of which benefits you, your team mates around you or further up the field.

its what sets apart the classy players and the guys that are cooked/have slowed with age or simply just try hard..

Im probably too late for this one but its seems that Nicks has a "Back the Boys" Mentality which is great for team morale and culture (Which was lacking when he took the helm) but it does seem that players arent given a thurouigh go to develop under his watch e.g. Fisher Macasey, Elliott Himmleberg, or Tariek Newchurch all for some reason or another, but there are players who flourished under Nicksy, Patty Parnell is energetic and exciting whenever he takes the field, Chayce Jones is undeniably better than I was expecting a few years ago, Jordon Butts and Nick Murray are geniune AFL defenders who he plucked from nowhere. But even with this team Selection has let us down at least twice this season and possibly more times.

Well we got change but does nothing for development of the long term. Bringing in a 28yo lol
I have no issue with McAdam's inclusion. It's the continuing selection of Murphy that's puzzling.

McAdam should have been in our side weeks ago!

I should specify.

Its not the inclusion of McAdam in the team its the inclusion NOW! My gut feel is Nicks doesnt want to put games into McAdam because of his age. Thats why he has persisted with his non selection since his suspension and a forward line actually has worked well without him. He isnt a priority. So why on earth would you bring him in now. He is a lead up forward and not a pack rover. So we've removed two running rover type players for a lead up forward and a backman. This to me doesnt make sense.

We should sign 20 players on minimum wage, and throw the rest of the cap at the first 22.

Fits with our selection policy and we’d have a far better best 22.

Well there are a lot of happy clappers on here that think Nicks does no wrong and the Sanfl is the best development league in the world and if players aren't getting 50 possessions a game they are no good. Thats why our selection policy should exist.

But those same people complain about our midfield but no one is allowed to come into it from the Sanfl unless said 50 possession mark is reached.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection Nightmares take 2

Honestly - Who would have thunk poor player management and development would have had us looking slow flat at the end of the season.

Think about it.

17 players have played at least 16 of the 17 games
21 players have played over 15 games

Thats a lot of games for just a select few players.

14 Players who have played 1 or less games this season.
Brown, Crouch, Hately, Taylor, Bond, Borlase, Cook, Dowling, Nankervis, Newchurch, Hamill, Keane, McPherson, Strachan

5 players only have played between 2-5 games
Parnell, McAdam, Himmelberg, Schoenberg, Berry

1 player has played between 6-10 games
Worrell

Doedee and McHenry are the only players to achieve 11-14 games (11 games each)

This to me does not in any way shape or form argue development is a priority.

This week is a massive test to see whether its just more of the same or we are willing to bring players in to develop.

Why does Nankervis seem to get no love from the Crows. Not named as a reserve despite good SANFL form and great upside. Seems to rarely get mentioned in the clubs SANFL press releases. He is the sort of player we need to bring in. Got some height and athletic ability (we have too many shorties in the 23). Good hands. What did he do? Intentionally scratch Nick's or Goddens car? Maybe he key scratched them both (not that I would blame him ;))

Surely this must be taking a toll on some young bodies too. There was scope this year to rotate them all in and out at various stages and these last couple of weeks soooo many players have appeared a metre or two off it. The absolute manic pressure that was a signature of our play in the first half of the year seems lost except in patches now and I just wonder how many are just feeling it week to week. Feels like we spend the middle 8 weeks where we had a few tough games trying to do the unlikely and pull a few wins at all costs and left us spent for the final third. Big wins against the Kangaroos and Eagles and our good percentage mean nothing now because we just haven't got the wins.

Surely this must be taking a toll on some young bodies too. There was scope this year to rotate them all in and out at various stages and these last couple of weeks soooo many players have appeared a metre or two off it. The absolute manic pressure that was a signature of our play in the first half of the year seems lost except in patches now and I just wonder how many are just feeling it week to week. Feels like we spend the middle 8 weeks where we had a few tough games trying to do the unlikely and pull a few wins at all costs and left us spent for the final third. Big wins against the Kangaroos and Eagles and our good percentage mean nothing now because we just haven't got the wins.

Yeah mate, this has to be the biggest knock on Nicks. His strategy is born out of pure fear. Thats not being a coach.

Selection this week is a 6/10

Max, Laird, Keane should have all come in. so no problems here. Soligo? Why has he fallen so far away?

Massive points lost for the ommission of Cook. Murphy? Sloane? Not sure the omission of either would impact the result. Sloane should be the Sub if anything. So yeah, Selection, while not poor, kind of falls flat when they really still seem intent of just doing the same old.

Surprised Crouch survived. Nicks must have been taken by surprise about his impact in the centre. I mean, who knew...right.

Meanwhile Port manage players while we refuse point blank to manage Sloane (the one guy who needs it) and we rested Walker (the one guy who doesn't).

I'm beginning to wonder if the selection committee is 3 stiff drinks into the end of a long wine lunch before they start their selection. Because....* me!

Selection this week is a 6/10

Max, Laird, Keane should have all come in. so no problems here. Soligo? Why has he fallen so far away?

Massive points lost for the ommission of Cook. Murphy? Sloane? Not sure the omission of either would impact the result. Sloane should be the Sub if anything. So yeah, Selection, while not poor, kind of falls flat when they really still seem intent of just doing the same old.

Surprised Crouch survived. Nicks must have been taken by surprise about his impact in the centre. I mean, who knew...right.

Meanwhile Port manage players while we refuse point blank to manage Sloane (the one guy who needs it) and we rested Walker (the one guy who doesn't).

I'm beginning to wonder if the selection committee is 3 stiff drinks into the end of a long wine lunch before they start their selection. Because....* me!
As usual the selection committee is too scared to make big decisions.
Soligo had a week off, then played and dominated SANFL. He should be back in the team and in the midfield.

It's obvious we don't have a spot for Sloane in the team. It's been obvious for a long time, but we refuse to make the call. We are gutless. I only hope our list management has the courage our coaches do not, because if he is on the list, they will pick him regardless of performance.

Meanwhile we have lost Rachele and Rankine and replaced them with.....??? Our only small forward is Pedlar. Are we really go to try to make Schoenberg play that role?

I will try my best to put that 26 into a better 23

F Nankervis Fogarty McAdam
HF Keays Walker Murphy
C Jones Dawson Hinge
HB Smith Keane Laird
B Milera Butts Michalanney
R O'Brien Pedlar Schoenberg
I Worrell Sloane Crouch Thilthorpe
S Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back