List Mgmt. Selection Policy for the Rest of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
We now know the draw for all of 2020. The footy gods have kissed us on the d!ck and we have 6 and 7 day breaks through to finals.

There is no need to rest players as part of a player management policy due to a COVID compressed season, anymore.

However, 2020 is unique for another reason- no reserves. We need to ensure those players we may need to cover for an injury during finals are ready to go if called on.

Areas where this could be a problem are tall forwards and tall defenders. If Dixon were to be injured, God forbid, I suspect cover would come from those already tried- Westhoff, Georgiades, Ladhams. Rucks too- Westhoff, Ladhams.

But if Clurey or Jonas were injured, surely plan B can’t be McKenzie and Lienert. Perfectly good as third talls but they couldn’t be the first choice for Hawkins, Kennedy, Cameron and Hipwood?

We need Jack Watts and we need him now. Unless his card has been marked for off field stuff, we have to get games into him as CHB/FB.

All other positions seem covered but others may have a different view.

Then we may want to consider having a look at the future- Bergman, Mead, Williams- not because we want them to play finals but just as a look to 2021 and beyond. Whilst we all want to play with new toys, if 2020 is all in for a flag, this is a luxury we can leave for next year.

So my policy for the rest of 2020 would be to try Watts as a key defender but otherwise use the players we’ve already tried and settle on a best 22 for finals.

We now know the draw for all of 2020. The footy gods have kissed us on the d!ck and we have 6 and 7 day breaks through to finals.

There is no need to rest players as part of a player management policy due to a COVID compressed season, anymore.

However, 2020 is unique for another reason- no reserves. We need to ensure those players we may need to cover for an injury during finals are ready to go if called on.

Areas where this could be a problem are tall forwards and tall defenders. If Dixon were to be injured, God forbid, I suspect cover would come from those already tried- Westhoff, Georgiades, Ladhams. Rucks too- Westhoff, Ladhams.

But if Clurey or Jonas were injured, surely plan B can’t be McKenzie and Lienert. Perfectly good as third talls but they couldn’t be the first choice for Hawkins, Kennedy, Cameron and Hipwood?

We need Jack Watts and we need him now. Unless his card has been marked for off field stuff, we have to get games into him as CHB/FB.

All other positions seem covered but others may have a different view.

Then we may want to consider having a look at the future- Bergman, Mead, Williams- not because we want them to play finals but just as a look to 2021 and beyond. Whilst we all want to play with new toys, if 2020 is all in for a flag, this is a luxury we can leave for next year.

So my policy for the rest of 2020 would be to try Watts as a key defender but otherwise use the players we’ve already tried and settle on a best 22 for finals.

agree but players like Duursma are exhausted

Last time we run players into the ground, it took years for them to recover

Rotate players?

No we simply aren't that good. We can not drop a game that we should win.

“We exist to win premierships”

That means we must be working towards 1) getting there and 2) being fit on the day. A balance is required between best team on the park each week and being ready for September.

And you’re right we are not that good. I’d say 4th to 9th best.

I know we'd all like to obliterate Hawthorn, but it's certainly a good week to look into beginning to rotate players. You don't win any prizes for not doing it
We don’t need to obliterate the Hawks - just do a similar West Coast job on them. Get out to a good lead and then cruise home.

I want the quadrangle of doom up forward as PepeSilvia coined it, but I think had different players to him.

Dixon ............. Ladhams
===============
=..... Gray.................=
=..... Butters.............=
=..... Rozee...............=
===============
Marshall ........... Georgiades

Some people say you can't play Georgiades on the flank as we will be too tall. Chad Cornes recently after Richmond talked about his outstanding athleticism - something I have observed as well;

"His aerial stuff is outstanding .... but the way he moves up and down the ground, his aerobic capacity is not something you normally see with a guy who can mark like that. He's improving every game and just learning the set ups, where he needs to be and where he needs to lead, but he's got great natural football ability..."

He is 192cms, the same height as Burton. His athleticism is as good as Burton's.

Why don't people say you can't play Burton on the back flank with the other 3 tall defenders Clurey, Mckenzie and Jonas?

Look at Geelong's backline, Taylor 195cms, Blicavs 198cms, Henderson 196cms, Stewart 190cms, Henry 191cms, Touhy 187cms, and Bews 186cms. Geelong is one of the teams we have to beat to win a flag this year. A shrimp forwardline wont get the job done against them, especially if all we do is bomb it to Charlie.

If Ken rushes the Hoff back at every chance he gets, I will spew up.

Don't really care about the rest of the team. They will pick themselves.

Our backline is too short against the best teams, we play a forward territory game, that wont change as we are in year 4 of that style, we will struggle against some of the better mid fields, so we have to concentrate on having the most devastating forwardline we can have. Playing Charlie, Todd, Mitch + 2 rucks gives us that.

I'm all for playing the kids but we have been top all year and have been presented an opportunity we just must have a crack at the flag.
It sucks our kids haven't been able to play at all with no Maggie's but we must go for flag.
I think we should have rested players before now but unless they really need it probably to late now.
I would of rested a few vs Geelong.

I want the quadrangle of doom up forward as PepeSilvia coined it, but I think had different players to him.

===============
===============

Some people say you can't play Georgiades on the flank as we will be too tall. Chad Cornes recently after Richmond talked about his outstanding athleticism - something I have observed as well;

"His aerial stuff is outstanding .... but the way he moves up and down the ground, his aerobic capacity is not something you normally see with a guy who can mark like that. He's improving every game and just learning the set ups, where he needs to be and where he needs to lead, but he's got great natural football ability..."

He is 192cms, the same height as Burton. His athleticism is as good as Burton's.

Why don't people say you can't play Burton on the back flank with the other 3 tall defenders Clurey, Mckenzie and Jonas?

Look at Geelong's backline, Taylor 195cms, Blicavs 198cms, Henderson 196cms, Stewart 190cms, Henry 191cms, Touhy 187cms, and Bews 186cms. Geelong is one of the teams we have to beat to win a flag this year. A shrimp forwardline wont get the job done against them, especially if all we do is bomb it to Charlie.

Our backline is too short against the best teams, we play a forward territory game, that wont change as we are in year 4 of that style, we will struggle against some of the better mid fields, so we have to concentrate on having the most devastating forwardline we can have. Playing Charlie, Todd, Mitch + 2 rucks gives us that.
What was Georgie's endurance testing like?

Or did he miss draft camp?

I can't see him having the tank for that role yet. Maybe in 2 years.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What was Georgie's endurance testing like?

Or did he miss draft camp?

I can't see him having the tank for that role yet. Maybe in 2 years.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He doesn't need the tank to play that high half forward do a lot of useless running type position. I don't want him playing that role. Butters and Rozee can do that.

If we are a forward territory team, we kick it forward and he is good at catching the ball, guess what, he doesn't have to run all day.

===============
===============

Biggest issue with Geelongs backline for us is they're all big strong bodies. In the case of Blicavs potentially stronger than charlie. That means we can't even rely on height getting the job done against them cause they will match our height and our body our young talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't need the tank to play that high half forward do a lot of useless running type position. I don't want him playing that role. Butters and Rozee can do that.

If we are a forward territory team, we kick it forward and he is good at catching the ball, guess what, he doesn't have to run all day.
If he plays on a flank rather than deep and doesn't have the tank oppo sides will run off him all day and it will be costly

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Biggest issue with Geelongs backline for us is they're all big strong bodies. In the case of Blicavs potentially stronger than charlie. That means we can't even rely on height getting the job done against them cause they will match our height and our body our young talls.
I doubt Blicavs is stronger than Charlie.

Height is important because of the way we bomb the ball inside 50. Georgiades is important because he will jump at everything. A knee here, a knee there in defenders back during the game helps all our forwards and makes defenders wary of how they play him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back