Selections for the Showdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Well, we are sitting 0-5 with a disgraceful percentage, confidence thru the boots and virtually no hope of a finals performance in 2010...not exactly a great prep for a Showdown.

Conversely, the optimists will claim it could be just the tonic to fire us up and have a brilliant win against the odds to resurrect the season.

Selections will be interesting. For mine, we need to tread the difficult balance of promoting/persisting with talented youth while also giving the struggling vets one last chance to perform on the biggest minor round stage we have.

Bock (if fit), Jaensch and Walker must come in. Proven talent, unproven but highly likely talent and mismanaged talent all have one thing we desperately need...talent:thumbsu: I've assumed Mackay and Sellar are still sidelined but if they are fit both would be immediate selections (Doughty and Henderson gone)

The omissions are the perenially average Douglas who has teased us a little more lately, Petrenko who will wait his chance in a different role, and Schmidt who is performing adequately but will only ever be a good honest player who fills out the 22.

These blokes should get back in pretty soon if the team keeps losing as they then should get preference over under-performing vets like Doughty and Edwards. Indeed, Schmidt is probably a controversial and unlucky omission but I've made a call on the higher potential of others. One more bad game from Doughty and it should be a permanent goodbye with vB or Cook to be the primary stoppers until a better replacement is found.

So for me:

IN: Bock, Jaensch, Walker
OUT: Douglas, Petrenko, Schmidt

B: Bock, Rutten, Johncock
HB: Goodwin, Davis, van Berlo
C: Dangerfield, Vince, Cook
HF: Knights, Burton, Porplyzia
F: Edwards, Walker, Tippett
1R: Maric, Thompson, Doughty
Int: Reilly, McLeod, Henderson, Jaensch

I haven't actually seen a game since the Swans, but

IN: Bock, Stevens

OUT: Davis, Henderson

Seems to be like for like, more or less.

From what I've heard, Edwards, Cook and Petrenko continue to be less than impressive, but with Mackay, Symes, Otten, Martin, Sloane and Shaw still in with the nurse there's really only Jacky, Armstrong and Gunston left to make a case for themselves.

Didn't hear about the injuries but if Davis gets dropped for Stevens i will be an angry man.

More like Davis being dropped for Bock, really. Henderson would be the one making way for Stevens in the forward line.

If it happens, could it outstrip the Walker thread for loud wailing and gnashing of teeth?!

If it happens and Walker returns there will be a lot of Footy Bipolar Disorder this week.

Seriously, Davis was super-impressive last week. He will have worse days when he fronts up against more seasoned players but let's pump some experience into him:thumbsu:

did Stevens play in the sanfl this week?

my changes would be

out - Doughty, Petrenko

in - Jaensch, Walker

I dont believe that Bock wil be available for this week

My inns: Bock, Jaensch,Walker,McKernan
Emergencies: Stevens, Petrenko, Armstrong

Outs: Petrenko, Henderson(hammy),Dangerfield, Knights

Is Bock expected to play? I thought (wished) he'd be out until round 7?

Knowing us, since we just an amazing victory against the odds, the Crows will win. But anyway, here's for a good match, good luck. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Bock say on two separate occasions that he reckons he'll be alright for showdown. I also think Mackay will play.

I think they'll go with...
In: Bock, Stevens, Mackay
Out: Henderson, Schmidt, Petrenko

What I wish...
In: Bock, Walker, Mackay, Jaensch
Out: Petrenko, Schmidt, Douglas, Henderson (unfortunately. I dont want Davis or Walker out of team).

Obviously the afc coaching panel wouldnt make this many changes.

IMO Jaensch and Walker will both miss. I want to at least see one of them in the side and Davis to be retained.

Davis 'deserves' to stay in on his current form. Schmidt also seems to have done enough, plus, there's not really anyone returning from injury to play his position.

...last week, it was said that Bock and Sellar are still 2 weeks away, so i'm assuming earliest return would be for showdown.

...Stevens, you'd assume should be back by now, while Mackay was a late withdrawal, so hopefully he is ok to go against Richmond.

INS: Mackay, Walker
OUT: Petrenko, Henderson
EMERGENCIES: Jaensch, Stevens

...i wouldn't mind seeing Henderson getting another week, but not at the expense of Walker again. i'd like to see both in the team, and don't know who else would be dropped if Walker were to return, while Henderson remained. 2 changes seem enough. if Jaensch is called in, i'm hoping it'd be for Douglas.
...and yes, there will be outrage again, if Walker is not recalled.

I heard over the weekend that Mackay has the dreaded OP. I seriuosly hope that I am completely wrong and that the person that relayed the information was pulling my giggle chain. However, if right, he may be missing for some time to come. Let's hope that one of my rare posts is a flop and I have made a complete ass of myself.

The Knighta thing is in the self-named thread started the other day about him. The D-Mac thing...every time someone has a groin complaint "inside sources" claim that OP is behind it. It's rarely the case, hoping this is another ill-informed rumour.

Does anyone honestly think Doughty will be omitted? He's still in the leadership group iirc, and I don't think we've ever dropped one of them (not that now wouldn't be a good time to do something about that). I just wonder if we have some sort of unspoken rule re: the leadership group's selection safety.

In: Jaensch
Out: Petrenko

Not really Petrenko's fault, he is NOT a small forward. He should be a small defender #1, and an inside midfielder #2. I'm going to keep harping on about the fact that he looked good there in the 5 minutes he spent in the guts against Sydney, got his hands to the ball twice.

Does anyone honestly think Doughty will be omitted?

No, because he played very well last week.

Rutten and the Porpoise on the other hand were rubbish. If they are injured they should be dropped immediately, but unfortunately there is not an obvious replacement for either.

It seems senior player bagging is quite a popular sport at the moment. Personally I can't see why so much displeasure is being aimed at our over 30 players; they've all been fairly solid and consistent I reckon. With those older blokes you know pretty much what you are going to get, they are not going to suddenly improve now. Improvement is going to come from the younger and mid-tier blokes.

It also seems the golden haired boy Dangerfield escapes all criticism. He is super talented and brave and I reckon he'll be a gun but is still only young, makes mistakes and goes missing for large parts of matches. For some on this board and the media to name him our best player against the Dogs is a perfect example of blinkered favouritism. He did some nice things but come on, he had only a dozen touches. Why was he best? Coz he body-slammed a post and threw himself at contests?

Have we heard anything about injuries from Friday? Someone posted that Knights was on crutches and Rutten had his arm in a sling.

It's not exactly the official AFC injury bulletin Carl, but Truck was at the family day in Melbourne, and if he had his arm in a sling, it was one of those invisible slings that lets your arm move normally :D

Knights wasn't there, which worries me slightly (seeing as the 21 other players were).

In Walker, Jaensch

Out Edwards Burton.

To me it is like for like, young for old.

Henderson gets another gig??? To be honest I sort of 'missed' him and didnt see him a whole lot on Friday night with my own eyes, seemed okay though from what I did see, surely Doughty has to have his place questioned???

Edwards I also agree has to be dropped, Burton mmmm not to sure I thought he did alright Friday night, Doughty and Edwards are my main concerns at the moment.

Henderson gets another gig??? To be honest I sort of 'missed' him and didnt see him a whole lot on Friday night with my own eyes, seemed okay though from what I did see, surely Doughty has to have his place questioned???

Edwards I also agree has to be dropped, Burton mmmm not to sure I thought he did alright Friday night, Doughty and Edwards are my main concerns at the moment.

Can Burton and Walker play in the same side?

I dont like playing a kid in his first game then dropping him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back