Selector's Table, Round 16 Vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like Young isn't going to get an opportunity while Wood is in the side. They should be playing the same role (or at least the one Wood should be playing), ie drifting interceptor/fill the hole/aerial help guy. Ideally this would be with two KPB + Morris in the side. This way Young would mark up on the 4th forward so if he's caught out 1v1 it's on a smaller guy and limits his weakness.

As it stands Cordy is undersized as the 2nd KPB and Wood is trying to play the Morris role, limiting his aerial strengths. When Morris comes in, it will provide an option for Bev to switch matchups with Cordy and allows Wood to move back to his old role.

Has anyone who is actually calling for Lewis Young to be called up watched him play this season ?

He’s been good in some games, but his three efforts in the oppening 30sec of the highlights Vs Port Melbourne probably explains why Bev isn’t bringing him up.

Bring Cavarra in! Sh!t between him Schache and Lloyd we might actually have 3 blokes who can kick more goals than behinds for the first time in 3 years

Bring Cavarra in! Sh!t between him Schache and Lloyd we might actually have 3 blokes who can kick more goals than behinds for the first time in 3 years

Just out of curiosity, I checked our leading goalkickers this year on afltables.com:

Dickson, Schache and Lipinski the standouts for accuracy, many of the rest going at less than 50% accuracy - when we play many games in a roofed stadium with minimal breeze. Bont and Gowers in particular are grim stats.

Just out of curiosity, I checked our leading goalkickers this year on afltables.com:

Dickson, Schache and Lipinski the standouts for accuracy, many of the rest going at less than 50% accuracy - when we play many games in a roofed stadium with minimal breeze. Bont and Gowers in particular are grim stats.

That table can be a bit misleading as it does not include missed shots. Here is our 2019 player by player accuracy for total shots including misses as of R15...

Competition Average: 46.2%

Highlights...

Dickson, Lloyd, Naughton all with 25+ shots and above competition average
Schache with 11 goals for 15 shots (ranked 4th overall for players with 15+ shots)
Lipinski 5 goals from 7 shots
Macrae with 3 goals from 4 shots (should take more shots)

Lowlights
Bonti with just 10 goals from 36 shots (55 players have had 30+ shots, Bonti is ranked 54th)
Williams with 0 goals for 6 shots
Suckling and McLean both with over 20 shots and below 40%.
And the rest.

Last edited:
Mclean back to HFF/Mid, needs to make that spot his own because the midfield is stacked. Id still like us to use him in the guts more than we have been because he is dynamic in there, quite different to the other guys. But Dunks/Macrae cant play forward and Mclean has it in him to play it to a very high standard so best result for our team is for him to make that spot his own with regular runs in the guts too.

Not buying this "hes being played out of position" bs, the kids played forward his whole life, hes a natural. Hes just been in bad form. Started the year on fire in the position, i remember saying after round 3 or 4 that hes quickly turning into Robbie Gray 2.0. Everything he touched turned to gold. Definitely has it in him to be a 20 quality touch, 2 goal a week player IMO.

Red and Suckers back to replace Daniel. We dont have any one that can do what he does in the QB role but combined JJ, Red and Suckers can do plenty of damage. I like Bailey Williams where he is, let him settle in that position for a while.

Would like to find room for Cavarra too, West stiff but his time will come and Rourkes deserving of another go in the only position i can see for West atm. No need for another hard nut with suspect kicking right now, but Cavarra could slot in and make a big difference I reckon, hard to see who for though.

I like the idea of McLean off half back for the next few weeks in a Daniel like role. Is neat and tidy by foot, has a pretty good footy IQ and his contested ball skills will be a help for the defenders. Could do well.
Not a bad idea, could be that cool head with a hard edge weve missed since Boydy left.

I like the idea of McLean off half back for the next few weeks in a Daniel like role. Is neat and tidy by foot, has a pretty good footy IQ and his contested ball skills will be a help for the defenders. Could do well.

Not so sure on this...

While he has quality disposal, he doesn't have the quick thinking and evasion needed, more often than not taking the contact.

Not so sure on this...

While he has quality disposal, he doesn't have the quick thinking and evasion needed, more often than not taking the contact.
Half back should suit perfectly then? Think Matty Boyd who often looked rushed when through the midfield, but across half back his decision making and disposal efficiency seemed so much more assured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That table can be a bit misleading as it does not include missed shots. Here is our 2019 player by player accuracy for total shots including misses as of R15...

View attachment 702971

Competition Average: 46.2%

Highlights...

Dickson, Lloyd, Naughton all with 25+ shots and above competition average
Schache with 11 goals for 15 shots (ranked 4th overall for players with 15+ shots)
Lipinski 5 goals from 7 shots
Macrae with 3 goals from 4 shots (should take more shots)

Lowlights
Bonti with just 10 goals from 36 shots (55 players have had 30+ shots, Bonti is ranked 54th)
Williams with 0 goals for 6 shots
Suckling and McLean both with over 20 shots and below 40%.
And the rest.

Thanks mate, knew the data was out there somewhere, just didn't know where. (Although it doesn't alter the substantive point I was making.)
Also, I assume 'no score' covers out on the full and those that don't make the distance. I would argue a shot from 55m that lands in the goal-square indicates the player is still kicking straight, whereas out on the full from 30m out does not. E.g. someone who has say 6 shots and kicks 3 goals and 3 don't make the distance is having more impact than someone who has 8 shots, and kicks 1.4 and 3 out on the full.

Another plus is Trengove going at 100% - straight to full forward! :)

Last week we changed our game to suit the conditions less handball, less short kicks less lets get it to Caleb. So this week there is no Caleb so we need to change the way we play at Marvel. No doubt we will miss him but maybe not as much as we think. Quite often we give it to Caleb because of his finishing skills at the cost of moving the ball more quickly forward without using the Caleb get out.

It is going to be a big test against the cats but if our midfield can get on top and we take our chances who knows. One plus is that Tim could even win the hit outs against Stanley and set the Bont alight again. I would like to see that.
Need to get it to JJ and Richards more and let them run!

Again, Lewis Young is a big no for me.
He might get it down the track, but at the moment he struggles to read the flight of the ball.
Throw in being easily shoved out of the way he would be a liability against a side like Geelong under the roof.
We already have Cordy and Trengrove playing the clumsy defender role.

Yeah I agree. If Lewis plays, it might be a repeat of that nightmare game he played against GWS late 2017

Disappointing goalkicking from Lloyd as he was known as a dead eye dick at Richmond. Hopefully he can get it back as he’s been great for our forward line, could be better though!

Selection makes sense. Think we would've seen no changes if it wasn't forced.

Hopefully we'll see more midfield time for McLean and he can get back to his best form.

It'll be interesting to see who moves back to fill in Daniel's role. I'm expecting Suckling but with Williams, Richards and Roarke Smith we've got a fair few half back options.

Hope Cavarra keeps knocking the door down and we see a debut soon.

And I would like to applaud the name of the thread. "Selectors' Table." Great piss-take name. I vote that the weekly 'changes' thread is permanently called "Selectors' Table."

And now back to
:musicnotes:
Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, Baileys...
:musicnotes::musicnotes:

Thought this weekend everything was going to be SWEET, but instead the familiar rattle of the blind
sticks coming from the Match Committee office. They need a bit of Kennedy for inspiration " Don't
think, do " why do players wear the polka dot top at training again ?

Thought this weekend everything was going to be SWEET, but instead the familiar rattle of the blind
sticks coming from the Match Committee office. They need a bit of Kennedy for inspiration " Don't
think, do " why do players wear the polka dot top at training again ?
Haha, don't tell me you are on the Sweet wagon? We know what happened to the last ruckman you hitched it to... :|

Has anyone who is actually calling for Lewis Young to be called up watched him play this season ?

He’s been good in some games, but his three efforts in the oppening 30sec of the highlights Vs Port Melbourne probably explains why Bev isn’t bringing him up.

He’s probably disinterested now. I’d be too after the Gardner inclusion few weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back