Selector's Table, Round 22 Vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Why was Daniel moved to half back ? If you answer the question honestly you will know my position.
What happened when we moved Matthew Boyd Back ? In case additional information is required.

The answer to these is as obvious as the sky being blue. I know you like a bit of bush beating Yojimbo but there’s no need to try creating riddles to explain your position, which seems like it’s changing with every post

Why was Daniel moved to half back ? If you answer the question honestly you will know my position.
What happened when we moved Matthew Boyd Back ? In case additional information is required.
Daniel was moved to half back because he is a smart decision maker, effective user, reads the play, is clean with his hands, has great endurance, is fast and creative, applies great pressure, has excellent vision and is able to orchestrate plays from defence in the manner that few can. That is why he was lauded as a possible AA defender before his hamstrings went. That is why he is in the top 3 for our B&F.

Regarding your question on Matty Boyd, When he went into defence, his leadership and courage enabled our defence to become even more cohesive and organised and he was part of our back six that broke the drought. If you had said "look what happened when Rohan Smith went to CHB in the 1998 Prelim", I would have seen your point...

Daniel may not be normal size but he’s more capable with ball in hand than any player we have back from centre.
I’m still not 100% sure what you mean with the rest of your comment though. Break it down for me, my weekend beers may still be fogging up the head space.

I'm happy to break it down. The game is more defensive now, can't afford turn overs, can't afford by caught 1 out in a mismatch.

Don't get me wrong Daniel gets a lot of the ball and does use it well most of the time and it may be the coaches asking him to take those risky kicks yet there was a period there where Daniel was giving away about 3 goals a game going for unnecessary risky chip passes. This was extremely costly.

He also has a tendency to stop prop, survey the situation and then pass off. This just slows down our play and allows the backmen to all get back. He can't cover the ground at speed like Duryea, JJ, Crozier or even Suckling.

For team balance I believe his best position is high half forward or even wing, like the Hunter role yet forward. But everyone is entitle to their opinions and people have different views on the topic.

Daniel was moved to half back because he is a smart decision maker, effective user, reads the play, is clean with his hands, has great endurance, is fast and creative, applies great pressure, has excellent vision and is able to orchestrate plays from defence in the manner that few can. That is why he was lauded as a possible AA defender before his hamstrings went. That is why he is in the top 3 for our B&F.

Regarding your question on Matty Boyd, When he went into defence, his leadership and courage enabled our defence to become even more cohesive and organised and he was part of our back six that broke the drought. If you had said "look what happened when Rohan Smith went to CHB in the 1998 Prelim", I would have seen your point...

Boyds skills became a lot sharper after his move down back too. Always had good composure but the extra time he got behind the play would’ve helped I think. He became the almost A typical half backer over those few years playing an almost identical role to Sam Mitchell in his twilight.

Moydy was moved down back for his contested ball winning and decision making (mostly via hand) down back. So good he was All-Australian because of it. You simply could not beat him in a contest. That, coupled with Moz formed the basis for a Premiership team. Daniel provides a different type of look. Less ball winning, more creative as the start of a chain to slingshot. He still needs good 1 on 1 players around him.

I'm happy to break it down. The game is more defensive now, can't afford turn overs, can't afford by caught 1 out in a mismatch.

Don't get me wrong Daniel gets a lot of the ball and does use it well most of the time and it may be the coaches asking him to take those risky kicks yet there was a period there where Daniel was giving away about 3 goals a game going for unnecessary risky chip passes. This was extremely costly.

He also has a tendency to stop prop, survey the situation and then pass off. This just slows down our play and allows the backmen to all get back. He can't cover the ground at speed like Duryea, JJ, Crozier or even Suckling.

For team balance I believe his best position is high half forward or even wing, like the Hunter role yet forward. But everyone is entitle to their opinions and people have different views on the topic.

Thanks for putting in the effort LB but the things you’ve stated aren’t anything that hasn’t already been posted on here and I’m not sure that’s what Yojimbo was suggesting. I could be wrong though.

I really don’t like that rough guesstimate of Daniel costing us 3 goals a game. Where has that come from ? I’m pretty sure a poster threw that number out and others just ran with it. Daniel’s stats this year have been outstanding in nearly all areas and his turnovers relative to his position on the ground aren’t bad at all. Up until his injury he was top 5 for all the important HB KPI’s. I’ve posted these previously so feel free to scroll through to find them.
As for his stop and prop game, there’s so many things being ignored when criticising how long he takes with footy in hand. Every other defender takes their time with the ball unless the there’s a quick HB receive option or a quick 45 hit up. Daniel’s composure in finding those HB receives and 45 targets is what sets him above his teammates. In fact most of his fellow back 6 go long to a 50/50 after holding on to the ball waiting for a short option a lot more than Daniel does.
So what’s your opinion on that ? Would you prefer to maintain possession or are you happy to gamble on a 50/50 contest ?

You also need to look at how all teams transition this year.
One of the weekend footy shows showed a stat recently that had the slowest transitioning teams filling the majority of the top 8. It may allow oppo defenders to set up when going slower but it also allows your teammates fwd of centre to set up also. No use running and gunning if you’re just going to turn the ball over going fwd due to not being set up.
Football nowadays is majority structures, positioning and contested/pressure football, the run and gun style doesn’t stack up. Just have a look at Essendon the last few years and Port a couple years back, you may get a few teams unprepared but it’s playing with fire looking to go quick at all times.

Some may want to use Saturdays game as an example of how the run and gun can work, but Essendon were like witches hats, there was no need to slow it up as we had a red carpet running directly to goal for most of the night.
Same can be said for Freo the previous week.

You’re 100% right with it being all opinion based, but it can be slightly frustrating when a very small sample of Daniels game is used to argue against him being down back yet completely ignore the much larger sample size that’s actually having a great impact on our season and seeing Daniel in AA contention.

Do not want to jinx us but we should be winning this with GWS outs and our recent form. We certainly had enough of the ball to beat the lions it was our finishing skills that let us down. We corrected this against the dons but under no pressure. If we use the ball well we should win this with our midfield, you would expect Kelly to be short of a run.

Question, who does DeBoer go to, assuming he is named for GWS?
The Bont. The Bont is the best metres gained midfielder in the competition, his kicking is well ahead of accumulating beasts like Dunkley & Macrae.

Moydy was moved down back for his contested ball winning and decision making (mostly via hand) down back. So good he was All-Australian because of it. You simply could not beat him in a contest. That, coupled with Moz formed the basis for a Premiership team. Daniel provides a different type of look. Less ball winning, more creative as the start of a chain to slingshot. He still needs good 1 on 1 players around him.
Daniel's main attribute down back is his supreme reading of the play and ability to intercept. He has 115 intercepts this year, more than anyone in our team. From that perspective I don't agree that he is not a ball winner who needs good 1 on 1 players around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back