Prediction Sell me on Port Adelaide 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's the thing though. The list is good. The results have been good. Couple of prelims? Regular finals? What more do you want?

Need a bit of luck to win a flag I think. Kenny, bit unlucky.

2020 Port had no excuse not to make the Grand Final. It was an epic finals choke and Ken has to take a lot of the responsibility for that.

2020 Port had no excuse not to make the Grand Final. It was an epic finals choke and Ken has to take a lot of the responsibility for that.
2020 was joke footy, playtime. Not real.

2021 was an epic choke, but that’s just Port Adelaide DNA. It’s what they do.

A new coach won’t change that and in any case Port have never been the best team in it while Kenny has been at the wheels.

Last I checked this was a Port thread?

No idea what you mean about taking the moral high ground though? ?

Doubt I would have had an issue if Port had sacked him last year and started afresh

I just don't get the sense in keeping him if you are going to set a bar that is unreachable with a list with that many holes
There wasn't any sense in keeping him. The fact that we made a mistake at the end of last year is no reason to keep persisting with that mistake. This is exactly the attitude your club took by replacing Ratten with Lyon shortly after making a poor decision to re-sign Ratten, and so far at least it seems to have worked. It's the attitude my club should take as well.

There wasn't any sense in keeping him. The fact that we made a mistake at the end of last year is no reason to keep persisting with that mistake. This is exactly the attitude your club took by replacing Ratten with Lyon shortly after making a poor decision to re-sign Ratten, and so far at least it seems to have worked. It's the attitude my club should take as well.
I agree with you so I don't understand why you are suggesting I'm trying to take the high ground

It would have made more sense to have let him go in the off season rather than hang onto him and setting him an impossible goal

The list isn't good enough to make a grand final so any suggestion that it's grand final or bust is just ridiculous

I agree with you so I don't understand why you are suggesting I'm trying to take the high ground

It would have made more sense to have let him go in the off season rather than hang onto him and setting him an impossible goal

The list isn't good enough to make a grand final so any suggestion that it's grand final or bust is just ridiculous
Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you were implying that we owed it to him to keep him because the goal we set was too hard or some other such nonsense.

I was sold on them all preseason long. Was even more excited after round one.
Unfortunately it appears Ken Hinkley is incapable of taking a premiership quality list to that next level.

Selling whatever stocks left right now as they're merely making up the numbers (again).

I was sold on them all preseason long. Was even more excited after round one.
Unfortunately it appears Ken Hinkley is incapable of taking a premiership quality list to that next level.

Selling whatever stocks left right now as they're merely making up the numbers (again).
It's not even close to a premiership quality list right now though

There seems to be a lot of buzz around Kenny (aka Lenny) and the supposed star loaded recruiting PAFC did during the trade.period, and perhaps rightfully so, however I do not think Port Adelaide addressed their desperate needs (especially in tbe key position front) during the draft and trade period, and I honestly think they will ne exposed from an offensive midfield and forward line perspective (esp under.Ken's style of.coaching)

I have been wrong before and am nor ashamed to put my hand up about precious failed predictions, but I look at Port's current list and their arguably average National Draft recruits and their on field losses (like the brilliant and grossly underrated Robbie Gray) and I see no reason why to be excited about Port Adelaide in 2023 (least from a supporter's perspective)

I believe PAFC is going to finish bottom 4 in 2023, and possible Spoon candidates.
How's all this going Fudd?

2020 was joke footy, playtime. Not real.

2021 was an epic choke, but that’s just Port Adelaide DNA. It’s what they do.

A new coach won’t change that and in any case Port have never been the best team in it while Kenny has been at the wheels.
Common theme is Hinkley's "near misses".

The "don't worry about the coach" argument is like saying a coach has zero influence, so why even have a coach, then? Malcom Blight's tenure at The Crows really hits home the importance of getting in a successful coach, and not sticking with mediocrity.

All 7 teams Port played under Hinkley's tenure in the finals made a Grand Final starting from 2013, except Port. Even Grant Thomas rightfully pointed out an already established successful coach could take advantage of Port's premiership window list and could pinch them a premiership. Had Port gotten Clarkson for the 2020 season, I'm fairly certain they would have won the 2020 premiership. Obviously, now, they'd have to scout for a different successful coach, if their management were competent to realize that. I doubt it, though. I see them signing Hinkley up for another 3 seasons, and then missing this years Grand Final, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Rozee, Butters and JHF should make you top 8 just being in the side.
Top 4 with a decent list and coaching.
I think they’ll be too 4 for the rest of the year and as likely as anyone to challenge the all conquering pies in the finals.

Well that's not fair on Richmond. We played with some real heart and there should be no shame for Port after that loss.

In fact, I've always felt a bit more respect for Port after their (especially Brad Ebert's) effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not even close to a premiership quality list right now though

How wrong we were.
They are the real deal. I was on them early on but the opening few rounds were very concerning. They now look like they have the right balance. Coach is no longer playing favorites. They have structure and a game style which is holding up against the better teams.
Only way they fall away is through injuries.

How wrong we were.
They are the real deal. I was on them early on but the opening few rounds were very concerning. They now look like they have the right balance. Coach is no longer playing favorites. They have structure and a game style which is holding up against the better teams.
Kenny deserves a lot of credit for where they are at. They have a quality midfield but plenty of holes outside of that IMO

They look like a side that has brought in. Won't be surprised if he gets a deal before August the way they are looking.

Finlayson has really surprised me also, always thought he was a GOP but playing like one of their most important player right now

Kenny deserves a lot of credit for where they are at. They have a quality midfield but plenty of holes outside of that IMO

They look like a side that has brought in. Won't be surprised if he gets a deal before August the way they are looking.

Finlayson has really surprised me also, always thought he was a GOP but playing like one of their most important player right now

This is the thing for those Port fans who seem to think they should have won flags under his tenure.

Look at the Port defence. Then look at the Geelong 2022 defence, the Richmond defence, Melbourne defence, the WCE defence in 2018. One of these is not like the others.

They do very well to be where they are, given the flaws in their list.

How wrong we were.
Jeez ya went early on calling me out here cobba.

Turns out I was spot on.

Rightfully shown up as the frauds they are.

2 finals wins in 9 year's isn't it? And they extended Ken? Wow.

North have twice as many finals wins in that timeframe while also picking up 2 spoons lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back