Sellar>>>>Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffin is easily our best tap ruckman and was playing well until he did an ankle a few weeks ago and it is very obvious he has been "carrying" it for several weeks finally leading to him missing this week!!!

I dont want either

Wood is a dud cant even make the Pies side who chose to play a non recognised ruckman (Brown) as back up to Jolly. Wood will offer us no more thn what we already have

Minson has too many brain explosions and it likely to lose you a GF not win you one
Cam Wood can't break into Collingwood's team because Leigh Brown is in career best form and because he can play in defense and up forward (like Sellar).
Griffin's goal kicking is just as likely to cost us a GF.
Which ready made ruck man should we target then? Being realistic about it.
How long can we afford to carry Moran?

I have always been impressed with sellar ever since he made his debute in dubai where he kicked 5 goals. Perhaps he could be the tall forward we crave that allows tippett to ruck. Sellar is too short to be a main ruckman and would be more suited to a tall forward/key position role. In fact I think sellar can take the competition by storm. if he has an injury free pre season and gets even bigger and stronger he can be a superstar. he just shows this raw x factor potential when ever he plays in a position that suits him.

I have always been impressed with sellar ever since he made his debute in dubai where he kicked 5 goals. Perhaps he could be the tall forward we crave that allows tippett to ruck. Sellar is too short to be a main ruckman and would be more suited to a tall forward/key position role. In fact I think sellar can take the competition by storm. if he has an injury free pre season and gets even bigger and stronger he can be a superstar. he just shows this raw x factor potential when ever he plays in a position that suits him.

I've always thought you were a certain Bay13 regular ;)

Plus the fact Will Minson can't stand the Crows establishment as a whole. Would play for the Djibouti Bombers before he lined up in Crows colours (which surprisingly works well for me considering he's a gigantic crab).

Cam Wood can't break into Collingwood's team because Leigh Brown is in career best form and because he can play in defense and up forward (like Sellar).

If Cam Wood was really worth our time of day, I doubt Collingwood have bothered chasing Darren Jolly at the end of last year.

Plus the fact Will Minson can't stand the Crows establishment as a whole. Would play for the Djibouti Bombers before he lined up in Crows colours (which surprisingly works well for me considering he's a gigantic crab).

Don't know Will, but know Hugh and he hates the Crows with a passion and I got the feeling that it may be shared across the family. Don't think we'll be getting Will, not really sure it'd be worth it either.

Minson more likely to go to Port if he left the Dogs, much more opportunity given that when Brogan is gone, they'll have even less in the ruck than we do.
Doesn't get along with the Cornes brothers after he shot his mouth off about Kane's son.

If Cam Wood was really worth our time of day, I doubt Collingwood have bothered chasing Darren Jolly at the end of last year
With Josh Fraser's suspect body Collingwood had no choice but to chase Darren Jolly. Last year when Cameron Wood lead the ruck when Fraser was out he played quite well as Collingwood's lead ruck.

Plus the fact he is a giant douche.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AMEN, Sellar needs to keep playing, Griffin is a waste of space compared to Sellar.

I see them as offering two very different things. Sellar could almost be a CHF rather than a second (or first) ruck.

But I do agree with you on one thing - he needs to keep playing!

bottom line in L Brown is not a ruckman and if Wood was good enough he could push his way in the side and push Brown to a KP.

I like West at the Cats and Hampson at the Blues......

Bottom line is I dont think we will chase a ruckman

IMO James was solid, no better or no worse than what Griff has been giving us over the past month

however it seems that folks are prepared to pump Jimmy's tyres up after a solid performance (even though he is a round 2 selection) however when Griff puts in a solid performance folks still want to see him traded

dont get me wrong, Jimmy played his role today however I am not as confident that he can play in the ruck week in week out at afl level

I agree with this, I was really excited about Sellar when we first drafted him, but IMO has never really shown anything significant. Can anyone point out a game where he has played better than just okay ? I am not sure why everyone is so keen to pump up his tyres, I think his goal in the last quarter has clouded people's judgment on what was a very ordinary performance from Sellar.

I agree with this, I was really excited about Sellar when we first drafted him, but IMO has never really shown anything significant. Can anyone point out a game where he has played better than just okay ? I am not sure why everyone is so keen to pump up his tyres, I think his goal in the last quarter has clouded people's judgment on what was a very ordinary performance from Sellar.

Look, over all, it wasn't an amazing game or anything, but what everyone is getting so excited about is to see the improvement on where he has come from. 2 years ago, he was playing SANFL reserves and looked about as likely of playing AFL as Jarrhan Jacky and more to the point had gone significantly backwards in his development since he was 17 years old, when he was rated by many as a genuine top 5 draft prospect, you generally can't be a complete dud to be rated this highly.

However, in the past year or so he has taken some giant steps forward and I think today he started to show a couple of reasons why he was rated so highly. Nothing major, but just in the way he was able to move through traffic and show composure that few his size possess, especially on the last line of defence, a couple of years ago he looked slow, awkward and like a dear in the headlights when he had the footy. He also stood up and took 3 great contested grabs, something he wouldn't have come even close to doing a few years back. Whats more, as a 2nd ruckman, he was able to actually provide tackling pressure, as well as an ability to legitimately play both forward and back, something IMO 2nd ruckman must be able to do these days and something neither Maric or Griffin can really do.

The big thing for mine is, he was able to produce a more than adequate performance on the back of having played very little footy this year, thanks to numerous injuries. He certainly made a couple of mistakes and didn't set the world on fire, but it was a promising performance for mine.

I think expecting him to have dominated games is unrealistic with just how few games hes played. Despite how long hes been on our list, hes still both very young, and very inexperienced at AFL level.

All you're really going to see out of a ruckman at this stage in his career are glimpses. Sellar has certainly shown a toughness, and hardness (essendon final), and today showed an abillity to take contested marks and kick a clutch goal.

IMO, its enough to be reasonably pleased at for now, pending further development.

Look, over all, it wasn't an amazing game or anything, but what everyone is getting so excited about is to see the improvement on where he has come from. 2 years ago, he was playing SANFL reserves and looked about as likely of playing AFL as Jarrhan Jacky and more to the point had gone significantly backwards in his development since he was 17 years old, when he was rated by many as a genuine top 5 draft prospect, you generally can't be a complete dud to be rated this highly.

However, in the past year or so he has taken some giant steps forward and I think today he started to show a couple of reasons why he was rated so highly. Nothing major, but just in the way he was able to move through traffic and show composure that few his size possess, especially on the last line of defence, a couple of years ago he looked slow, awkward and like a dear in the headlights when he had the footy. He also stood up and took 3 great contested grabs, something he wouldn't have come even close to doing a few years back. Whats more, as a 2nd ruckman, he was able to actually provide tackling pressure, as well as an ability to legitimately play both forward and back, something IMO 2nd ruckman must be able to do these days and something neither Maric or Griffin can really do.

The big thing for mine is, he was able to produce a more than adequate performance on the back of having played very little footy this year, thanks to numerous injuries. He certainly made a couple of mistakes and didn't set the world on fire, but it was a promising performance for mine.

Very balanced and well thought through write up a usual James 37. Sellar at only 21 does seem to have something to offer. Has a big, strong body. I would like to see him have the opportunity to have a good crack at CHF. His poise and skills also seem to be developing well. Could also possibly make a good full back if ever anything happened to Rutten...or when the time comes for big Ben to bow out. He is certainly developing strings to his bow. Good player to have on our list.

Remind me guys, what injuries has he had this year?

Anyway I was proud of James' performance. It's been a tough year for him watching our games on the sideline, a lot of the time the first emergency as well, so for him to come in so late in the year and play with some enthusiasm and confidence was great to see.

I particularly liked some of his work in the ruck especially around the stoppages. I think he's a better leap than Maric and at the ground I thought his hit outs were more advantageous.

I'm looking forward to seeing his next two games :thumbsu:

I think expecting him to have dominated games is unrealistic with just how few games hes played. Despite how long hes been on our list, hes still both very young, and very inexperienced at AFL level.

All you're really going to see out of a ruckman at this stage in his career are glimpses. Sellar has certainly shown a toughness, and hardness (essendon final), and today showed an abillity to take contested marks and kick a clutch goal.

IMO, its enough to be reasonably pleased at for now, pending further development.

I am not expecting him to dominate at all, but he has now been in our system for four years and I guess I am expecting an output better than what I would class as a first or second year type output.

I just think that if he is actually going to be able to make it he needs to find some mobility and develop another facet to this game as I dont think he has the sized to become a pinch hitting 2nd ruckman. The sad thing for Jimmy is that he seems have the Brett Chalmers syndrome ie is not tall enough to be an AFL ruckman, but unfortunately doesnt quite have the mobility to be a KPP.

On Seller/ (Kevin Peterson lookalike)There were a couple of "oh no" moments when he'd get the ball in tight in the back 50 and id think "great here comes a turn over, our ruckman has it", but no he seems to be different from our normal ruckman he didnt panic and got the ball out clear. Also made a couple of good tackles, do our other ruckman tackle? Hopefully he can build on this solid performance and become a regular in the side.

I just think that if he is actually going to be able to make it he needs to find some mobility and develop another facet to this game as I dont think he has the sized to become a pinch hitting 2nd ruckman. The sad thing for Jimmy is that he seems have the Brett Chalmers syndrome ie is not tall enough to be an AFL ruckman, but unfortunately doesnt quite have the mobility to be a KPP.

These days he has the mobility, strength and skill to be a KPP.

We saw more glimpses yesterday, with his marking up forward (and i also generally rate his goalkicking) and composure in heavy traffic in defence to suggest he could be a fine utility...or even settle in a position and make it a success.

Personally, if we get a good price, I'm not too fussed if Bock leaves as between Rutten, Sellar, Davis, McKernan, Talia (from 2012 onwards), Young, L Thompson, and the back-up of Scott Stevens, we have enough defensive bases covered.

On Seller/ (Kevin Peterson lookalike)There were a couple of "oh no" moments when he'd get the ball in tight in the back 50 and id think "great here comes a turn over, our ruckman has it", but no he seems to be different from our normal ruckman he didnt panic and got the ball out clear. Also made a couple of good tackles, do our other ruckman tackle? Hopefully he can build on this solid performance and become a regular in the side.
Agree with this. He does get involved in the around the ground stuff more than our other ruckmen.

In today's game it's a bonus if you can use your ruckman as a link man as they are the player who gets manned up on the least. When we look like handballing or short passing to Maric or Griffin I'm like pleasegodno but big Jim isn't the same turnover waiting to happen the other guys are.

Remind me guys, what injuries has he had this year?

Anyway I was proud of James' performance. It's been a tough year for him watching our games on the sideline, a lot of the time the first emergency as well, so for him to come in so late in the year and play with some enthusiasm and confidence was great to see.

I particularly liked some of his work in the ruck especially around the stoppages. I think he's a better leap than Maric and at the ground I thought his hit outs were more advantageous.

I'm looking forward to seeing his next two games :thumbsu:
Broke his hand early and I believe a hammy after getting back to SANFL.

I think his value comes in linkage in in-play stuff. He sheppards, turns and runs forward when there's no runner for the hand ball rather than freezing, he's a marking option and looked comfortable in the back line and forward line.

His versatility to play both ends allowed us to rotate more mids during the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back