Sellar>>>>Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people forgetting he's only 21? How many 21 year old big men are there in the AFL at the moment performing better than him? Yes, there are probably a small handful but not many I wouldn't think.

Are people forgetting he's only 21? How many 21 year old big men are there in the AFL at the moment performing better than him? Yes, there are probably a small handful but not many I wouldn't think.
No he's playing for his career.

Dwanye Russel or bust.

These days he has the mobility, strength and skill to be a KPP.

We saw more glimpses yesterday, with his marking up forward (and i also generally rate his goalkicking) and composure in heavy traffic in defence to suggest he could be a fine utility...or even settle in a position and make it a success.
Looked ok up forward to late in the game

Walker better have a big pre season

I thought the look of Sellar's mobility and skills was outstanding. As in when he had the ball in his hands he almost looked like a Cox in terms of ability to run with the ball and deliver. Also, his contested marking was a feature :p

But all jokes aside, I think he can well and truly make it as a second ruck/utility similar to what Leigh Brown has been doing for the Pies and Paddy Ryder has been doing for the Bombers this year.

I'm not a subscriber to pro-stats, so I can't get their "hitouts to advantage" stat, which is the one I'd really like to refer to.

However, it's worth looking at the other stats they have for 2010. (I've used the per game figures rather than totals).

In raw hitout numbers, it looks like we struggle - Maric is ranked #13 (19.5 / game), Griffin is 27th (13.2), and Tippett is 38th (7.6).

In Effective Hitouts, the story looks better for Ivan - he's #6 (10.2 / game). Meanwhile, Griffin is 27th (6.2), and Tippett is 40th (2.8).

Out of real ruckmen (i.e, excluding Daniel Cross), Ivan's effective hitout percentage is behind only Hudson :( , J Roughead, Gardiner, Hale and Graham. Hale's a definite asterisk (only 2.5 hitouts per game), and Maric si getting his hands on the ball more than the other 4.

So although Maric is clearly tiring at the end of this year, I wonder if this can impact our strategy in future years?

We know Tippett has tremendous value as a key forward, both for his ability to pluck a contested grab, and his ability to sometimes kick straight. He's also potentially devastating as a ruckman in the forward 50 - we've scored numerous goals in the past 18 months as he drills it down the throat of Porps, Knights and the like.

It also appears that while Maric is not a brilliant ruckman, he's at least at the good end of competent.

Meanwhile, Griffin appears anchored in Mike Pyke - Tom Bellchambers land, statistically.

The decision to be made is whether what you lose in ruck power from not having Griffin play, is offset by having Sellar (or maybe McKernan) with a greater ability to influence general play and/or provide the flexibility to cover a key position in an emergency.

I would argue that if you set up to have Tippett take the majority of the ruck dutis in our attacking 50, and have Maric compete outside that area with relief from more of a utility/ruck, that's as good as we can do, and looks a better balance than having two purer ruck types in Maric and Griffin.

Of course, I'd be happier if we were talking about Jolly, Jamar (on 2010 performance) Sandilands or perhaps Mumford over Maric, but that's a whole other argument.

Although he's had injuries this year, I've got to be honest and say that it feels like it's been a waste of a year in terms of his development, not because of a lack of production when fit, but because of our refusal to have a longer look at him. Whenever he's been fit, he should've been given a shot with the Crows, I like his intensity, and although he's really only shown glimpses, I don't see why he couldn't become a key player for the AFC. I really liked his efforts in the last quarter playing as a forward, two strong grabs and nearly another. Given how pooor our ruck division has performed this year, he should've played whenever fit.

I love the fact he always gives a physical presence. Every chance he got yesterday he would lay a little hip and shoulder into his player. I love the fact that it looked like he gave Merrett a mouthful when he took that grab. I didnt like tha fact he then missed his shot on goal.

He did look very good and is definitely better than that softie Griffin. Agree with BR & G re his miss on goal, that was a pretty simple chance and he fluffed it. There must be serious problems at the club with goal kicking as we miss a lot of easy chances.

Sellar isnt really a ruckman at all. Just not tall enough for AFL level. If he has a spot in the team (and i hope he does as im a fan)is as a KPP, probably in defence. He was recruited as a tall forward and is only necessity that has seen him cast in the ruck role. That this thread exists at all is a mark of how much trouble we are in for a quality ruck combination.
Griffin is easily our best at the tap ruck contests but does little else.
Maric is 2nd rate at everything, except giving away cheap frees/50 m's.
Moran was recruited as a tall defender. He hasn't played for so long I can barely remember him playing but seem to recall him being an option around the ground but needed to work on basic skills like kicking. Possibly offers the most long term if he ever can get back on the track

These days he has the mobility, strength and skill to be a KPP.

We saw more glimpses yesterday, with his marking up forward (and i also generally rate his goalkicking) and composure in heavy traffic in defence to suggest he could be a fine utility...or even settle in a position and make it a success.

Personally, if we get a good price, I'm not too fussed if Bock leaves as between Rutten, Sellar, Davis, McKernan, Talia (from 2012 onwards), Young, L Thompson, and the back-up of Scott Stevens, we have enough defensive bases covered.

I dont agree, are we basing this off a couple of marks yesterday ? I have seen Maric get moved forward and kick goals as wellm that doesnt mean that he has the mobility to be a KPP.

I will be happily proven wrong, but I think that Sellar is going to struggle to get to 50 AFL games.

I dont agree, are we basing this off a couple of marks yesterday ? I have seen Maric get moved forward and kick goals as wellm that doesnt mean that he has the mobility to be a KPP.

I will be happily proven wrong, but I think that Sellar is going to struggle to get to 50 AFL games.

This has got nothing to do with Maric though and everything to do with Sellar. You're right though, judging Sellars mobility on his ability to kick a goal after taking a goal would be stupid.

Such an assessment however has not been based on this, it has been based on actually watching the way Sellar moved around the ground on Sunday. Sellar has enourmous closing speed, on multiple occassions he was able to chase down the Brisbane midfielders and put pressure on their kicks, on other occasions, he was able to weave his way through traffic deep in defence and get a handball out to a running player, who was then able to clear the ball from defence.

Watch the game again, this is not the James Sellar of 2-3 years ago, you can be sure of this because even Drummond, one of Sellar's biggest critics, has changed his tune regarding big Jimmy;):D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's fair to say he has 100x the mobility of Maric!

My assessment of Sellar has developed over the years, and i think you'll find I've wanted him in the 22 all season.

If he actually gets a decent shot from the selectors then he will certainly establish himself and play 100+ AFL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back