Home & Garden Selling a house

Has anyone sold their house not using the traditional method?

Just wondering as I may look to sell my house in the next 6-12 months & want to explore my options before giving then 10-12k for nothing other than listing it on realestate.com, putting an add in the local paper & trying to tell me its worth at least 20k more than it actually is.

So impart you wisdom to me.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, I have, twice......once here in melb.. and once in the country, but it was a long time ago things may not be so simple now..

I studied how the ads in the papers were written out, When I put the ads in the Age and SUN (yes HUN) I left a space above and below my ads so they stood out to readers..

I put an ad in the sun, because, even though not a popular place to look for real estate, if you have that paper in your house, and are looking to buy, you will look there as well (I did when we were buying)..

The lady who bought our house saw it in the SUN!!:D...I kid you not!..

We exchanged solicitors names and it went from there..

Same with my house in the country..no SUN that time though....local papers did the trick..

Today though, I think a lot of real estate is sold by viewing websites..e.g. realestate.com.au.....haven't a clue as to how that all works though..

I'm sure people still check out the papers for property just the same....

good luck with it all:)

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty sure there is solicitors and budget real estate's that do it for a lot cheaper than normal. I agree agents fees are a rip off but realestate.com.au doesnt take private listings so you are missing out on the biggest exposure.

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon
You can buy ads on domain.com.au but google also came up with this http://www.propertynow.com.au/forsalebyowner which makes me wonder where the agency fees actually go. I thought the ads were more expensive than that, im a bit skeptical because realestate.com has a section that say's only registered agents can advertise. That offer looks a bit too good to be true.

Back